The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Unfortunately it seems Craig Button agreed with what I saw - I saw a player that the coaches didn't seem to be appreciating and didn't set up in strong "success" situations.    I thought he outplayed many but apparently, and Button often has inside scoop with Hockey Canada, that wasn't enough quite yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/charging-into-buffalo-canada-s-projected-roster-for-the-2018-wjc-1.823639

Oh my gosh does Canada look bad.  Not saying because Gadzilla is not on the team, they look weak. :(

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Unfortunately it seems Craig Button agreed with what I saw - I saw a player that the coaches didn't seem to be appreciating and didn't set up in strong "success" situations.    I thought he outplayed many but apparently, and Button often has inside scoop with Hockey Canada, that wasn't enough quite yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/charging-into-buffalo-canada-s-projected-roster-for-the-2018-wjc-1.823639

Did you form any opinion around Givani Smith? From that article it seems like Button thinks that Givani Smith will be selected for the role that Gadjovich would play. He points out that Smith is physical and hard to play against.

However, Givani Smith only put up 44 pts in 64 games last season and even though he would be selected as a physical presence I would be very surprised to see Canada select him if he's below a ppg by the time selection camp takes place in December. 

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not getting overly excited but I did think Gadjovich had a strong tourny. Bolded: I saw Gadjovich getting TOI in offensive zone play and was seeing the ice much more towards the end of the USA game. I don't have access but the numbers on his TOI/offensive zone stats would be pretty interesting. I thought his increased TOI towards the end of the game was a reflection of coaching confidence in his puck possession game. 

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

All Gadj has to do to make the team is keep up his scoring production for the last half of the season he was scoring almost a goal a game....if he keeps that up there is no way he is left off the team for Smith.

I am not so sure.   He was easily in the top six of Canada's players at this tournament and for some reason got left off the "likely on the team" list.   Perhaps they want him a year older and are instead gifting spots to others - don't know.   

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not so sure.   He was easily in the top six of Canada's players at this tournament and for some reason got left off the "likely on the team" list.   Perhaps they want him a year older and are instead gifting spots to others - don't know.   

I find that our JR team is veeeeerry political. They choose players before camp even opens. It seems like it's just a formality these days. How many times have we seen players that shined in camp but never made the cut. They are forced to sit at home and watch the mediocrity we've been icing.  Franky corrado for example. 

5 straight golds followed by only 1 in 8 years. Not good enough.

Sorry for ranting

Long sorry short. He can do everything that's asked of him and i still wouldn't be surprised if they left him off. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I find that our JR team is veeeeerry political. They choose players before camp even opens. It seems like it's just a formality these days. How many times have we seen players that shined in camp but never made the cut. They are forced to sit at home and watch the mediocrity we've been icing.  Franky corrado for example. 

Sorry for ranting

Long sorry short. He can do everything that's asked of him and i still wouldn't be surprised if they left him off. 

Who were the coaches and where did most of the players come from during the 5 straight wins? I see a game plan in the USA team not so much in Canada. 

22 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Sorry for ranting

I think Corrado would have been a much longer shot than Gadjovich is now. That would be a lot more defenders that Corrado would initially have to be better than than with Gadjovich's situation with forwards at the moment. While he has clearly made leaps and bounds since being drafted, let's also not forget Corrado was a 5th round pick still.

Edited by The Lock

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think Corrado would have been a much longer shot than Gadjovich is now. That would be a lot more defenders that Corrado would initially have to be better than than with Gadjovich's situation with forwards at the moment. While he has clearly made leaps and bounds since being drafted, let's also not forget Corrado was a 5th round pick still.

Still. What does it matter where he was drafted. He was the best defenseman in camp. Surely he could have made it over the one of the 8? Defenceman on a team that didn't even medal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Still. What does it matter where he was drafted. He was the best defenseman in camp. Surely he could have made it over the one of the 8? Defenceman on a team that didn't even medal.

I don't really remember that camp so I don't know. It just sounded perhaps a little biased, which is fine. That's all I really wanted to point out I guess. 

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really remember that camp so I don't know. It just sounded perhaps a little biased, which is fine. That's all I really wanted to point out I guess. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/hockey/2012/12/13/world_juniors_frankie_corrado_steps_up.html

Led camp in scoring man. Forwards and defenseman. Even Toronto was pumping his tires.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Listening to Canadas coach it sounds like he really likes Gadjovich and Dipietro's game.

Lind on the other hand will likely have to wait until next year for his shot.

I agree with him Gadjovich was more effective then Lind due to his corner work....but I did think Lind played a solid type of game, steals pucks, nice passes, good on the PK,

he just never took the bull by the horns on offence though....always passed off instead of driving the net or even taking a long shot....he needs to be more aggressive on O.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Listening to Canadas coach it sounds like he really likes Gadjovich and Dipietro's game.

Lind on the other hand will likely have to wait until next year for his shot.

Did the coach say anything about Lind's game or is just an assumption? Just curious is all.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Did the coach say anything about Lind's game or is just an assumption? Just curious is all.

He said he made some nice plays but he said something along the lines of him needing "more mileage".

To me that sounds like he's saying we'll see where he's at next season.

But depending on injuries, who makes what teams, and how he starts the season it's not impossible. i just think there's too many older players ahead of him for him to have a real shot.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

On 8/7/2017 at 0:58 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I doubt it's that. This year is actually the final year of World Junior eligibility for Gadjovich and Lind, they will be too old for next year's squad because they are both late 1998 birthdays. 

8 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I doubt it's that. This year is actually the final year of World Junior eligibility for Gadjovich and Lind, they will be too old for next year's squad because they are both late 1998 birthdays. 

Then there are other politics at play.  Lind isn't an issue as he played himself out of consideration if you ask me but Gadjovich was consistently one of the best players on either team playing in all the games he played and then to not be in the stated mix from Hockey Canada (parroted by their parrot on TSN) seems at odds with performance.  

• Upvote 1