The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not so much chatter about how "small" Michael Dipietro is lately...so much for the demise of Dipietro as a leading prospect within the Canucks organizational depth chart.  Great to see Michael Dipietro having a solid string of games after a full season of inactivity (game-wise).

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadcanucks said:

Not so much chatter about how "small" Michael Dipietro is lately...so much for the demise of Dipietro as a leading prospect within the Canucks organizational depth chart.  Great to see Michael Dipietro having a solid string of games after a full season of inactivity (game-wise).

Yup.  Seems like Mikey is over the problems in his game that resulted from not playing for that year.  Back on track to fighting to be our backup next year.  

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

He's not necessarily small, he just plays small.  At least in the games he's played in the NHL.  If he can fix that issue with Clark then at least he has a chance to be a backup in the NHL.  I still don't think he will ever be a starter in the big leagues, but I would love to be proven wrong...

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Seems like Mikey is over the problems in his game that resulted from not playing for that year.  Back on track to fighting to be our backup next year.  

Back up next season is probably too soon, though, if he battles and he earns that spot in training camp, then sure why not. 

Great to see Mikey making a return to form just in time for playoff Hockey. Kids development was screwed by the pandemic and old managements poor handling of it. Took a while to get him back on track this year but that star potential starting to show again now 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Great to see Mikey making a return to form just in time for playoff Hockey. Kids development was screwed by the pandemic and old managements poor handling of it. Took a while to get him back on track this year but that star potential starting to show again now 

Exactly, nice to see him round into form. Kid needs more and more games. The Playoffs will hopefully be great for him. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We are sure looking nicely set up in goal.  I wonder if Dipietro would be in competition with Martin for the backup with the Big club, or if the plan will be for him to play lots in Abby?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We are sure looking nicely set up in goal.  I wonder if Dipietro would be in competition with Martin for the backup with the Big club, or if the plan will be for him to play lots in Abby?

Definitely the latter will be best for him. This year it was good to have Martin seize the reigns in Abbotsford so MDP could ease back into the pro game after not playing much the last year and a half. Give him a year of full time AHL duties as the starter and he should be ready for some NHL time the year after. Hopefully he continues to improve and by the time Martin's contract expires he's proved he's ready for backup duties for the back half of Demko's contract.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Definitely the latter will be best for him. This year it was good to have Martin seize the reigns in Abbotsford so MDP could ease back into the pro game after not playing much the last year and a half. Give him a year of full time AHL duties as the starter and he should be ready for some NHL time the year after. Hopefully he continues to improve and by the time Martin's contract expires he's proved he's ready for backup duties for the back half of Demko's contract.

Or play himself to a position that he has trade value to upgrade elsewhere

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Or play himself to a position that he has trade value to upgrade elsewhere

That would be great but we do still need 4 goalies and having a young cost controlled plan of succession for our backups will save us money in free agency that we can spend elsewhere. Currently our depth chart next year barring any signings looks like:

Demko

Martin

DiPietro

Silovs

Koskenvuo

I think all of these guys are in the right position for growth right now. Martin gets to prove he's NHL caliber, DiPietro gets a chance at a full season as AHL starter, Silovs comes back up from the ECHL and Koskenvuo continues to develop overseas for another year.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think he is, but I also think that the main club think that he will need one more year at least, dominating in the AHL and learning how to handle more accurate shooters as a smaller goalie.

If Demko or Martin get injured next year, DiPietro is next in line to fill in.

• Vintage 1