The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

You can also add the fact that he's 180 lbs. 

On a 5'7" frame, that's a hell of a thing.

He's an amazing skater. He turns on a dime and can stop and be back to full speed within a couple strides.

He's unrelentingly tenacious. He doesn't leave the opposition alone and takes very few shifts off.

He hits players, much bigger than him, with great effect. Due to his added muscle and, mentioned, low center of gravity, he's able to produce large amounts of energy which allows him to easily knock opponents off balance, giving him a great advantage along the boards.

He's another prospect that's been underestimated by a lot of critics. 

I can see him in our top 9 in a couple seasons and is another with top six potential.

Another Stan Johnathan you say?

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

To be fair, 5'9'' is the average height of a male in north America.

Yes, but we aren't talking a bunch of average males.  We're talking NHLers, who keep getting bigger and bigger and the average is over 6'0 and 195+ lbs.

Given what I've seen and heard, Palmu's size should not be a concern.  Heck, if Gaudeau manages to have as much success as he does at 160lbs and the same height, I think Petrus will be just fine in that regard.

I think he has top six potential, but I wouldn't count on it.  But a hard-working, hard-hitting, fast and nimble scoring winger for the 3rd line with Jake?  That sounds like wingers made to play on the same line...

Edited by kloubek

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yes, but we aren't talking a bunch of average males.  We're talking NHLers, who keep getting bigger and bigger and the average is over 6'0 and 195+ lbs.

Given what I've seen and heard, Palmu's size should not be a concern.  Heck, if Gaudeau manages to have as much success as he does at 160lbs and the same height, I think Petrus will be just fine in that regard.

I think he has top six potential, but I wouldn't count on it.  But a hard-working, hard-hitting, fast and nimble scoring winger for the 3rd line with Jake?  That sounds like wingers made to play on the same line...

Potentially:

Palmu, Gaudette, Virtanen

Man that'd be a PITA to play against ::D

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Potentially:

Palmu, Gaudette, Virtanen

Man that'd be a PITA to play against ::D

No kidding eh?  And it's a real possibility.  The thing is, our 4th line would presumably end up being Eriksson, Sutter + Motte/Leipsic, which is a pretty damn good 4th line in itself.

By all rights, if all the stars align we will have some of the best forward lines from the first through to the fourth in the NHL.  There's really not a lot we need to add; perhaps a power forward winger for the 2nd line, but who knows what the ceiling is of some of these guys.

The future is indeed bright.

43 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yeah I wasn't talking about Palmu, I was talking about the poster I was quoting. I know 5'7" is small...

As for the NHL, like I said, I hope Palmu reaches his potential. I like the idea of a Virtanen - Gaudette - Lockwood or Gadjovich - Gaudette - Virtanen 3rd line a little more. That said, hopefully Palmu keeps improving and I'm sure JB will find a spot for him in the lineup.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I'm not so sure about the players getting bigger and bigger as my sense has been they are getting smaller and faster. As a result, I tried to do a little research on the trend and here is what I found for 2010.

• Carolina is the only team with an average weight under 200 lbs. Somebody get them some protein shakes. (2010)
  • The average NHLer is 73.33" (6' 1 1/3") tall, weighs 204.42 lbs, and is 27.36 years old.
  • The average forward is 72.93" (6' 1") tall, weighs 202.4 lbs, and is 27.1 years old.
  • The average defenseman is 73.87" (6' 1 7/8") tall, weighs 209.66 lbs, and is 27.49 years old.
  • The average goalie is 73.94" (6' 2") tall, weighs, 198.39 lbs, and is 28.54 years old.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/10/15/1751273/sizing-up-the-nhl-by-height-weight-and-age

Here is what I found for this year.

NHL average height this season: 73.1 inches (6-foot-1.1)

NHL average weight this season: 200.7 lbs

https://theathletic.com/210035/2018/01/12/sizing-up-the-nhl-2017-18-nhl-teams-by-age-height-and-weight/

There are 16 teams this year that average less than 200 lbs as opposed to 1 team in 2010 so I believe the trend is actually to a smaller NHL, particularly defencemen.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Yotes said:

really? that seems short, would have thought it was closer to 6ft

Yeah according to recent studies the average height of a male in NA is just under 5'10 (apparently it's 69.7" to be exact). Again that's just the average height of your average Joe, not NHLers.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

My point was he might be short but at 5'7 180 lbs he is a big dude. Like I said I'm 5'9 185 and most people consider me to be a big guy. Just not particularly tall. I would say a guy who is 6' and 195 lbs would be a taller but smaller guy if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

really? that seems short, would have thought it was closer to 6ft

Depends I'm 44 and my generation the average height is 5'8. My eight year old boys expected average height for there age is 6'2.  It is climbing and fast.

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm not so sure ....

Bunch o stats

Assuming those are accurate (and they probably are more or less) then I stand corrected.  That had been the pattern for so long and I assumed it was still so, but if I think about it, it makes sense the trend is reversing as the focus shifts to the speed game.

Thanks for that.  Now I can stop spewing at least one opinion about the game that makes me look like I have no clue....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, thrago said:

My point was he might be short but at 5'7 180 lbs he is a big dude. Like I said I'm 5'9 185 and most people consider me to be a big guy. Just not particularly tall. I would say a guy who is 6' and 195 lbs would be a taller but smaller guy if that makes sense.

Oh I getcha.  And you are totally right, and with a lower center of gravity he can be like a pinball out there.  As I said in an earlier post, his size is of no concern to me.  His style of play and strength for height speaks for itself.

8 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Me too. 

Being 5'7" myself, I always pull for the little guy. LOL.

Yeah, Smyl is listed on hockeydb at 5’10 - in Stan’s dreams.  Most of the guides of that date listed him at 5’8, and from the way he looked compared to the height of the players he ran over, that would seem about right.  He was listed at about 195 and SOLID.  He drove to the net well and his nose looks like it ran into a lot of chest high sticks in his life.  Not as bad as Tiger Williams nose, of course, Tiger was described as hanging a face so flat he could bite a wall.

Palmu seems to have a stature like Smyl had - low centre of gravity - hard to get off his edges.

• Cheers 1

Palmu was held pointless in a 5-4 overtime victory. He was -1 and played 20:20, the highest ice time among forwards. He played on the first PP unit and started in 3on3 overtime.

He is intriguing. Quick feet, quick hands, plays hard, is often the first player on the boards. At times he played in front of the goalie on the PP, surrounded by 4 small box dmen, looked funny. Looks a bit unorthodox and wild, but effective. The were a few opportunities when he could have gone to the net, but kept it to the outside and he almost scored an own goal skating by the goalie in OT, but overall he looked like a dangerous player who spent most of the time in the offensive zone. 

21 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, Smyl is listed on hockeydb at 5’10 - in Stan’s dreams.  Most of the guides of that date listed him at 5’8, and from the way he looked compared to the height of the players he ran over, that would seem about right.  He was listed at about 195 and SOLID.  He drove to the net well and his nose looks like it ran into a lot of chest high sticks in his life.  Not as bad as Tiger Williams nose, of course, Tiger was described as hanging a face so flat he could bite a wall.

Palmu seems to have a stature like Smyl had - low centre of gravity - hard to get off his edges.

I met Smyl, decades ago. He is really about 5'8 1/2, and the 195 is a little under. He usually started the year around 202, and ended around 190. His heart...put it this way. Place Smyl's heart into Edler's body, and you get one truly scary player! Anyrate, yeah...Smyl.

My favorite memory of him. Playing against Calgary. Smyl is coming down the right wing. Gradin flips him this gentle little backhand pass. Smyl winds up and hits it about perfectly. Mike Vernon was in net. That slapper nailed Vernon right in the groin. To this day, I have never seen BOTH teams cringe in unison.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I met Smyl, decades ago. He is really about 5'8 1/2, and the 195 is a little under. He usually started the year around 202, and ended around 190. His heart...put it this way. Place Smyl's heart into Edler's body, and you get one truly scary player! Anyrate, yeah...Smyl.

My favorite memory of him. Playing against Calgary. Smyl is coming down the right wing. Gradin flips him this gentle little backhand pass. Smyl winds up and hits it about perfectly. Mike Vernon was in net. That slapper nailed Vernon right in the groin. To this day, I have never seen BOTH teams cringe in unison.

That's nuts!! :P