The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Guys like chaput can always be picked up on waivers but I agree with the possibility of Archie, Labate, Cassels and Wiercoch being resigned. Hence my second "maybe" list. That said with a bunch of prospects(Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Juolevi, Brassard? DePietro? Candella?) coming into Utica/maybe Canucks we potentially don't need as many plugs as we did last offseason.

'Chaput's' can be signed. We've already 'got' him though and he's performed well. Always good to have a solid vet C, even 'just' in Utica.

And yes, we will be able to have less plugs but you don't automatically turf all your decent vets in the hopes kids are better. A guy like Chaput can slide down the depth chart as kids take more prominent roles. Then he can slide back up when those kids earn call ups with injuries.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

'Chaput's' can be signed. We've already 'got' him though and he's performed well. Always good to have a solid vet C, even 'just' in Utica.

We need bodies, especially in Utica. I can't tell you how annoyed Comets fans get when the yearly parade of Canucks' injuries start and Utica is just stripped of depth. The amount of PTO's they have to sign is ridiculous. It's hard to develop prospects when they're given a sub-par to work with, more so when that mediocrity deprives them of a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Doubt he comes over as the Finish league is a good league and he will develop well over there for another year and then he can come over.

We are absolutely fine on contracts. Tons coming off the books this offseason even if the Sedins don't retire.

Guys I think wont be back period.

Jokinen, Dowd, Molino, Chaput, Megna, Stewart, Cederholm = 7

Guys on expiring deal who may or may not be/ wish to be re-uped.

Sedin, Sedin, Boucher, Archibald, Labate, Wiercoch, Bachman, Cassels = 8

With those seven coming off and three we have thats 10 spots open for signing prospects and trades.

Prospects I think will be signed this offseason.

Pettersson, Gaudette, DiPietro?, Brassard, Candella? = 5

So just with the contracts we know will be coming off the books and the guys we should/need to sign we have extra contracts. Some will be used on college free agents and UFAs but we are actually in a good place regarding contracts.

Have highlighted who I think we resign. I've not highlighted the Sedin's as its really up to them. If they say they want to do another season, I think Benning will humor them.

Molino, I think we'll give another couple of years to see if he can be developed into an effective forechecker. His speed will get him renewed.

Chaput, I don't think is as bad as people think, is an effective fill in for injuries and gives some good depth in Utica the rest of the time.

Megna, See Chaput, effective depth player.

Boucher, can see Canucks going either way on him. He has talent, but depends if they think he can find the drive to succeed in the NHL.

Archibald, I think has proved himself since being called up. Also, Utica has barely won a game without him.

Labate, I think is a bubble guy to be resigned. Good depth though for Utica if we do. Really depends on how we do with College UFA's at the end of the College season.

Bachman, we can't afford to give up depth in goal right now. I think he gets resigned since I don't think DiPietro is eligible for AHL next year, but could be wrong on that.

Cassels, I think is actually closer to the NHL than a lot of people realize. I believe he's being groomed for a specific role on the team and that he's proving that he can also put up some points when he's moved to a more offensive role. He gets a lot of criticism on this board, but in camp last year, I don't think he looked out of place. Biggest thing is, can he stay healthy.

Nice to see that we have some prospects who are finally making it necessary to make decisions about letting some guys go.

Since this is the Palmu thread, gotta say that I'm really looking forward to seeing him in camp in a couple of years. Think he has the ability to be a solid middle six guy. Low center of gravity and good hands.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He also isn't afraid to start a scrum when his goaltender receives a snow shower:

That one scene makes me like this guy.  I know he is skilled, but  didn’t know he was this feisty.  Having Leipsic and Palmu could really force our not so engaging players to get involved.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He also isn't afraid to start a scrum when his goaltender receives a snow shower:

Looks short but stocky. Hoping we give him one more year over there and then pull him into Utica.

Think this kid has a shot at making it. 

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Looked to me like that 6"4" ...or so...guy who did the spraying also got a shot to the head in on Palmu as he was coming for the hit....

Take a look at that 6’4 inch guy’s ribs.  Palmu got him twice where there is no padding.  He he he.  I hope this Palmu is a dirty little rat, who can score.  We need a rat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Looked to me like that 6"4" ...or so...guy who did the spraying also got a shot to the head in on Palmu as he was coming for the hit....

Yeah, that’s Kim Strömberg. 6’3”, 205 lbs per the Finnish sites (well actually 190cm and 93kg cuz y’know, they’re metric). Not exactly the toughest guy in Liiga but still a pretty big body and nice to see Palmu show no hesitation in going after him.

• Cheers 1

Anybody out there please correct me if I'm wrong.  Palmu is signed for next year with Turku as well?  If he remains unsigned by June '19 then he re-enters the draft?  If so, that gives us a pretty small window to get him under contract.  Especially if he builds on his rookie year and puts an even more impressive performance next year, he might be tempted to try his luck in the draft.  Or do I have my wires crossed here?

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Anybody out there please correct me if I'm wrong.  Palmu is signed for next year with Turku as well?  If he remains unsigned by June '19 then he re-enters the draft?  If so, that gives us a pretty small window to get him under contract.  Especially if he builds on his rookie year and puts an even more impressive performance next year, he might be tempted to try his luck in the draft.  Or do I have my wires crossed here?

He could refuse to sign with us as the Florida 2nd round Mascherin is but thats highly unlikely. He's a good prospect but not so good that he will be retaken in a draft. 

Highly doubt he doesn't sign with us if we are interested in him after next year.

People here need to stop worrying about our prospects not signing with us.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dungass said:

We have his rights until June 2019 because we drafted him out of the OHL.

He is technically signed to play in Finland next year but I suspect his contract has an NHL out clause. Canucks can make a determination to sign him this offseason if they want to bring him over to Utica for this coming Fall. I suspect they likely will do that, bring him over. If they don't, I expect the Canucks to sign him in March or April of next year. They won't let his rights lapse.

• Upvote 3

On 22/03/2018 at 6:52 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I have to say it. Nooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

If this tiny guy makes the team, it had better be to the exclusion of all the others that are under 5'-11"

Really I appreciate you guys liking his balls but seriously, imagine if he did that to a Boston or Oiler D, they would either laugh or flatten him. He's 5'-7"!!!!! and 179lbs

Sooner or later this Club AND this fanbase must come to grips with the reality that we are too f------g small. When teams like Boston, LA, Preds, Sharks, Ducks see small teams ripping the p-- out of them they go to Plan B and that usually involves flattening the opposition into the boards.