The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

2 goals already today for Palmu (and 1 goal for Juolevi) and TPS up 5-0 in the second period.

Goals!? I was reading the summary and those looked like assists! Haha even better!! Nice work Palmu and OJ.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I have to say it. Nooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

If this tiny guy makes the team, it had better be to the exclusion of all the others that are under 5'-11"

Really I appreciate you guys liking his balls but seriously, imagine if he did that to a Boston or Oiler D, they would either laugh or flatten him. He's 5'-7"!!!!! and 179lbs

Sooner or later this Club AND this fanbase must come to grips with the reality that we are too f------g small. When teams like Boston, LA, Preds, Sharks, Ducks see small teams ripping the p-- out of them they go to Plan B and that usually involves flattening the opposition into the boards.

Your inferiority complex is showing. 

6 hours ago, Quantum said:

We have his rights until June 2019 because we drafted him out of the OHL.

He is technically signed to play in Finland next year but I suspect his contract has an NHL out clause. Canucks can make a determination to sign him this offseason if they want to bring him over to Utica for this coming Fall. I suspect they likely will do that, bring him over. If they don't, I expect the Canucks to sign him in March or April of next year. They won't let his rights lapse.

And considering his good friend and billet-mate Jonah is also a Canuck, he won't be bailing on us.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

When teams like Boston, LA, Preds, Sharks, Ducks see small teams ripping the p-- out of them they go to Plan B and that usually involves flattening the opposition into the boards.

You seemed to leave out the league's top team, Tampa Bay.  And Palmu is no skinny runt, he's a cannonball of a fire hydrant.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And considering his good friend and billet-mate Jonah is also a Canuck, he won't be bailing on us.

You seemed to leave out the league's top team, Tampa Bay.  And Palmu is no skinny runt, he's a cannonball of a fire hydrant.

Tampa as I have said before have oodles of physicality. How many 5'-7" players do you suppose they have?

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Tampa as I have said before have oodles of physicality. How many 5'-7" players do you suppose they have?

They have 5 forwards 5'10 and under, 6'1 the tallest and 2 over 200lbs.  Canucks have 3 at 5'10 and under -- Boucher, Leipsic, Motte -- none of which are full-time NHLers yet, and one which likely never will be.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

If this tiny guy makes the team, it had better be to the exclusion of all the others that are under 5'-11"

Really I appreciate you guys liking his balls but seriously, imagine if he did that to a Boston or Oiler D, they would either laugh or flatten him. He's 5'-7"!!!!! and 179lbs

Sooner or later this Club AND this fanbase must come to grips with the reality that we are too f------g small. When teams like Boston, LA, Preds, Sharks, Ducks see small teams ripping the p-- out of them they go to Plan B and that usually involves flattening the opposition into the boards.

The thing is, you need different types of players in your lineup. Size isn't everything. Just because we're cheering for this guy doesn't mean we aren't hoping another player (like Gadjovich or whoever) could help out in that department.

This is one prospect. Literally: one prospect. He happens to be a prospect that sticks up for himself. This is turning into a game of speed and skill and if he joins the team because of that and, as a bonus, he is able to stick up for himself, is that not enough?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

They have 5 forwards 5'10 and under, 6'1 the tallest and 2 over 200lbs.  Canucks have 3 at 5'10 and under -- Boucher, Leipsic, Motte -- none of which are full-time NHLers yet, and one which likely never will be.

Palmu is also heavier than 3 of them, and about the same weight as 3 others.

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, you need different types of players in your lineup. Size isn't everything. Just because we're cheering for this guy doesn't mean we aren't hoping another player (like Gadjovich or whoever) could help out in that department.

This is one prospect. Literally: one prospect. He happens to be a prospect that sticks up for himself. This is turning into a game of speed and skill and if he joins the team because of that and, as a bonus, he is able to stick up for himself, is that not enough?

Palmu is a winger, feisty, speedy and solid. There are plenty of NHLers that have made it with his stature or smaller.  He is a long shot, but as you have noted, he is doing well in his first pro season.  

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Ever get a look at the stats and compete level of a little guy named Theo Fleury?

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'll say that of the players you listed, Leipsic is likely a full time NHLer. He's been one this year and I suspect the management group will let him be one next year. The big question with Leipsic is whether or not he'll be an NHLer five years from now when the Canucks are contending again. That'll be the question.

Jury is still out on Boucher and Motte. Though, of those two, I still have hope for Boucher to pull it together. Love Boucher's shot.

That said, despite Palmu's height, I really do believe in this guy. Very happy we drafted him. He's proof that being small doesn't necessarily make you soft. Cause the dude is definitely not soft.

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

With respect HW that's not what I asked. There is a world of pain between 5'-10" and 5'-7" This guy would have to be exceptional to stick in the NHL at 5'-7" and he is not in a physical league at present. Actually he doesn't even look like he is 5'-7" to me.

Some of the players you refer to Conacher and Gourde for example are not even regular NHL players never mind 5'-7"

Let me be clear and refer to my original post, if he is indeed an NHL calibre player we can't afford to have too many others who are small on the roster imo.

Leaving aside the two I have mentioned Tampa only have one "small" player, Tyler Johnson who is 5'-8" but weighs in at 185lbs. They have some big defenders unlike the Canucks. Coburn 226, Dotchin 210, Hedman 223, MacDonagh 213, Sergachev 215, Sustr 225lbs Even Girardi is 206lbs and Koekkoek 200lbs - so you see they have a lot of size on the team o/a that we don't.

That is why Tryamkin could have been so good for us as his presence protected/or could have protected our smaller players. 

I hope he does make it, especially if he is the fiery type but there is no getting away from the fact this team is small and lacks physicality and push back.

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

I have to question how much he can stick up for himself. He is in Finland he is not facing the likes of (insert at least 50 aggressive NHL players here) every night. Look at Leipsic the other night and I hadn't even heard of the guy who tattooed him into the boards.

We are not like Tampa with 4 or 5 big Ds who can step in and protect him. Man we are going to have to get some size from somewhere if we have Pettersson, Leipsic, Stetcher, Dahlen AND Palmu on this team. Guddy and Archie are going to have their work cut out.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I have to question how much he can stick up for himself. He is in Finland he is not facing the likes of (insert at least 50 aggressive NHL players here) every night. Look at Leipsic the other night and I hadn't even heard of the guy who tattooed him into the boards.

We are not like Tampa with 4 or 5 big Ds who can step in and protect him. Man we are going to have to get some size from somewhere if we have Pettersson, Leipsic, Stetcher, Dahlen AND Palmu on this team. Guddy and Archie are going to have their work cut out.

Some Tryamkin and Gadjovich would certainly help.

But I guess most people are aware that Palmu is a long shot and will need time. Although he lacks size, he is tough, feisty, goes to the front of the net, has the underdog bonus and leads Liiga in rookie scoring (currently also in the playoffs), Laine and Barkov did so, too, Goldobin came second. He may never make it, but he is an intriguing prospect and JB made a good pick.