The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

10 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Those players are few and far between.  

Being 5’7 is a total disadvantage in the NHL.  I don’t know how you could even argue that.   

There are very small handful(pun intended) of people that small in the NHL.

I will say, the league seems to be getting smaller, but 5’7” will never be a normal thing.    

You don’t even see many men walking around the street that short. 

It’s the same deal as Subban.  

I like the kid, and I hope he beats the odds, but I won’t be the least bit surprised if he doesn’t.  

There aren’t a lot of Theo Fluerys’ out there, but it would be pretty awesome. 

With the way he is built and his speed I believe that he does have a shot of making the NHL. 

Obviously his shorter stature has been considered a detriment because he went undrafted in his first year and was a late rounder in his second year. 

This kid is built like a brick and has a high end motor. Plays in the dirty areas. The guys that do make it at his stature have some things in common, fearless play, speed and the ability to use their size to their advantage. 

Bure was 180lbs and a short 5’10. (5’8 if anything at all). Flurry was 5’8, Kane, Johnny hockey, super midget, Gallagher is no bigger, the rat is about the same size, Dionne, St Louis, Ronning. 

There are more guys, but they almost all are late round picks and everyone shot them down as too small or short and they would never make it. 

The only exceptions to that were Bure, Dionne, Kane and possible Fluery. 

One thing that Palmu has in his favour is his pound for pound strength, speed and very low center of gravity.

That low center of gravity can be very effective in contact. If he can show some effectiveness in the AHL, then he should see some NHL minutes in a year. 

Unlike Subban, Palmu is playing the right position to have a real chance of making the NHL. Size is way less of a disadvantage as a winger than D man. 

EmW

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

With the way he is built and his speed I believe that he does have a shot of making the NHL. 

Obviously his shorter stature has been considered a detriment because he went undrafted in his first year and was a late rounder in his second year. 

This kid is built like a brick and has a high end motor. Plays in the dirty areas. The guys that do make it at his stature have some things in common, fearless play, speed and the ability to use their size to their advantage. 

Bure was 180lbs and a short 5’10. (5’8 if anything at all). Flurry was 5’8, Kane, Johnny hockey, super midget, Gallagher is no bigger, the rat is about the same size, Dionne, St Louis, Ronning. 

There are more guys, but they almost all are late round picks and everyone shot them down as too small or short and they would never make it. 

The only exceptions to that were Bure, Dionne, Kane and possible Fluery. 

One thing that Palmu has in his favour is his pound for pound strength, speed and very low center of gravity.

That low center of gravity can be very effective in contact. If he can show some effectiveness in the AHL, then he should see some NHL minutes in a year. 

Unlike Subban, Palmu is playing the right position to have a real chance of making the NHL. Size is way less of a disadvantage as a winger than D man. 

EmW

The thing with being a small guy is that it limits you're effectiveness and ability to adapt you're game to a bottom 6 role.  If you're not skilled enough to be a top 6 guy a coach isn't going to be playing you in a checking role if you're 20lbs smaller than most guys on the ice.  If Palmu has the skill to be a top 6 forward than with his build he'll be fine but like lots of guys of a smaller stature who are borderline top 6 players it makes it really tough to be an NHL player because it's top 6 or bust.  You don't really get to start in a checking role and hopefully work your way up as you learn, develop and adapt to the NHL game. 

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

The thing with being a small guy is that it limits you're effectiveness and ability to adapt you're game to a bottom 6 role.  If you're not skilled enough to be a top 6 guy a coach isn't going to be playing you in a checking role if you're 20lbs smaller than most guys on the ice.  If Palmu has the skill to be a top 6 forward than with his build he'll be fine but like lots of guys of a smaller stature who are borderline top 6 players it makes it really tough to be an NHL player because it's top 6 or bust.  You don't really get to start in a checking role and hopefully work your way up as you learn, develop and adapt to the NHL game. 

5+ years ago, I'd agree, but there's never been an era more suited to small players than now.  There's very little physical contact and truly hard rough play along the boards is almost non-existent now.  Not saying he doesn't have an uphill battle, but this era favours the small guys.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

5+ years ago, I'd agree, but there's never been an era more suited to small players than now.  There's very little physical contact and truly hard rough play along the boards is almost non-existent now.  Not saying he doesn't have an uphill battle, but this era favours the small guys.

Today's 3rd lines are also just as much about skill as 'grit'. A 'Palmu' can theoretically more likely succeed in a top 9 role now where as 10 years ago, he likely would have probably had to have been a top 6.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Today's 3rd lines are also just as much about skill as 'grit'. A 'Palmu' can theoretically more likely succeed in a top 9 role now where as 10 years ago, he likely would have probably had to have been a top 6.

I agree completely.  One could make the argument that with his speed and skill, he is an ideal 3rd liner in today's NHL

• Cheers 1

There seems to be a lot of angst in this thread about retaining rights for Palmu by getting him signed to a contract and having him play in North America.

My interpretation of the CBA (I know Sid will correct me) is that we have 3 years to get Palmu offered a contract as he was drafted last year for the 1st time as a 19 year old. With offering a contract within that time we will retain his rights until summer of 2021 I believe.

(iii) If a Player who is drafted for the first time as a 19-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in the first League Year after he has been drafted, his Club shall have exclusive right of negotiation for his services until the third June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft. His selecting Club may retain exclusive rights of negotiation for a fourth year by tendering the Player a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with 8.6(a)(ii), provided that such Bona Fide Offer may be made at any time prior to the third June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft.

Edited by Rick Blight
spelling
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Being 5’7 is a total disadvantage in the NHL.  I don’t know how you could even argue that.   

I will say, the league seems to be getting smaller, but 5’7” will never be a normal thing.    

I like the kid, and I hope he beats the odds, but I won’t be the least bit surprised if he doesn’t.  

I'll take the next  Marty St Louis! Not saying he will be that but imagine if he does make it to that level?! Nobody ever thought MSL would get there but he did! We can always hope even though the odds are against him!

@Rick Blight: that sounds right to me

And if indeed that’s the situation with Palmu’s rights, the Canucks deserve some praise for their “asset management” here. They’ve gotten some free pro development for Palmu in Liiga and by doing so have extended their draft rights by as much as an additional two years.

Nice bit of business that.

• Cheers 1

I'm really not concerned about his size. He may not be big enough to have maximum force behind his hits, but from everything I've read/seen he plays a solid, gritty game.  One could argue that with such a compact size that he might be harder to hit.  I do agree that *ideally* someone his size would be a top six guy but as long as he plays with grit and can contribute on the scoresheet I think that in today's NHL he could be suitable for any line deployment.

He's a bit of a long shot, I know, but the kid does have skill and a great work ethic. I'm rooting for him, but generally don't factor him into my mock future lineups.

17 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I never said that 5 foot 7 would become the norm. I am however saying and speed and skill is where it's gradually getting into, meaning smaller guys have a better chance now than they have later on. I also never said that it wasn't a disadvantage at all. As far as a "total" disadvantage, that's going to depend on the player and how they get around their height disadvantage.

If you can't figure out how it wouldn't be a "total" disadvantage to some people, then it makes me wonder if you've never been short? Simply put: you deal with it. You find ways to make it your advantage (ie. low center of gravity, etc) and overcome the disadvantages.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Gallagher wasn’t a top six winger to start.

Palmu has a huge mountain to climb on his tiny legs. I am pulling for the Finnish Hobbit. He would make a great Rugby player with his build.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Take out our two behemoths in nets, and how big are we?  

Most goalies in the league are quite tall today. I don't think it would make much difference at all for purposes of height.

When it comes to weight, Markstrom is not even average weight for an NHL player (all positions) at 196 pounds and below the Canucks average of 199.4 lbs. Nilsson certainly helps at 229 lbs but he is by no means the heaviest goalie in the NHL.   I have listed a few that are heavier below.   

Scott Darling

Goalie -- shoots L
Born Dec 22 1988 -- Newport News, VA 
[29 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.06 -- Weight 232 [198 cm/105 kg]
Goalie -- shoots L

Frederik Andersen

Goalie -- shoots L
Born Oct 2 1989 -- Herning, Denmark 
[28 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 230 [193 cm/104 kg]

Robin Lehner