The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers sign Nolan Patrick

11 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Good for the Flyers. Got a great prospect who slipped into their laps. 

He's not even projected to be a generational player, so I'm not sure why you'd call him a generational player.

29 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Good for the Flyers. Got a generational player who slipped into their laps. 

Generational players true to the definition should only come around once in a generation so once about every 20 years but I think history has shown that in the NHL it may be about every 10 years. When I think generational, I think of guys like Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard, Gretzky and Lemieux.  Currently I would say there are two players of this caliber in the NHL, Crosby and McDavid. 

Several other guys are close but are not as dominating every game as what these guys can be. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

:huh:

Never mind. My bad. He was thought of as one at one point but yeah isn't considered one when it was all said and done and is projected a solid 1C/2C player who has a good overall game. He should be ours but this lotto just ain't doing many teams any favours 

Flyers have been an imbalanced cap-mess, for most of a decade. Media/league love them, so they don't get called out.

How many silly contracts have they signed? How much $$$ did they give Bryz to permanently holiday in Siberia? Meanwhile Bobo(who they traded for tape rolls) wins Vezinas. I love it!

I was initially upset about the Draft Lottery screw us over AGAIN.. But the more I search about Pettersson the more I like about him and I hope he ends up being the best player in this Draft and stick it to the face of Gary Bettman

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Flyers have been an imbalanced cap-mess, for most of a decade. Media/league love them, so they don't get called out.

How many silly contracts have they signed? How much $$$ did they give Bryz to permanently holiday in Siberia? Meanwhile Bobo(who they traded for tape rolls) wins Vezinas. I love it!

I think it's just an example that shows we are not the only ones who make mistakes from time to time. We were arguably similarly messed up with all of the NMCs Gillis handed out like candy to players. I'm just glad we're in more of a situation now where Benning has control over who gets what contract, especially after this season with the Sedins finishing their contract and Edler finishing his contract the year after.

Eriksson to me's the biggest question mark in terms of cap space.

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think it's just an example that shows we are not the only ones who make mistakes from time to time. We were arguably similarly messed up with all of the NMCs Gillis handed out like candy to players. I'm just glad we're in more of a situation now where Benning has control over who gets what contract, especially after this season with the Sedins finishing their contract and Edler finishing his contract the year after.

Eriksson to me's the biggest question mark in terms of cap space.

I don't even see the big fuss over LE. A top US team might have got him at 5 x 5 mill(due to the imbalanced & unfair tax-scam), but I doubt any Cdn franchise would have nabbed him at that price.

20 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't even see the big fuss over LE. A top US team might have got him at 5 x 5 mill(due to the imbalanced & unfair tax-scam), but I doubt any Cdn franchise would have nabbed him at that price.

To me it's more the length of the contract. He'll be 35, almost 36, at the end of his contract. If he had played well for us specifically before than then I would understand the logic.

At least one thing that's going for him is he's not that consistent from year to year, so he could easily have a bounce back year. He's had a few in the past it looks like. lol

Anyway, avoiding getting off topic (and just making a general statement to everyone), I can't be bitter about not getting Patrick. Lotteries are exactly what they are: chance based. I don't believe in conspiracies that somehow "rig" the lottery to be put in anyone's favour. I just think we got unlucky.

9 minutes ago, Profanity said:

What intrigues me isn't this comment, but the +9. :blink:

It's one thing to be positive, but it is another to be delusional.

Some scouts have said if Pettersson was 15-20 pounds heavier he would've gone first. Now I'm saying he will be generational, but if he puts on that extra weight he's a lock as our future 1C.

Archived