The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers Ready to Trade RNH Below Value

Ursel23

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'd rather keep Hutton and LE...

I don't see Hutton in the long term plan necessarily either but I'd rather sell him for something better than RNH...

Plan past Edler.  He has, what, 2 years left on his deal?

If Hutton does not make it as a top 4 D, he'll make a great serviceable 3rd pairing D for a long time. And can knock around average teams as a top 4 D; see, case in point, MDZ.  Very similar IMO.  Although Del Zotto has learned to be a bit feistier to hang onto a job already. 

Which leaves us with Juolevi & Brisbois on the left side long term with Hutton.  Yeah, I know, Tree, but we cannot count on that. Hutton will probably hang around for that reason. Even if we dont see upside.

But if the Oilers see upside? Selling low could be Hutton and a 3rd for Nuge.  With the added value of cap relief, which we can handle.

Virtanen for Nuge? Would that be too good to be true???  :rolleyes: 

14 minutes ago, khay said:

2C's usually don't make it to free agency. The list you provide does not have any 2C except Tavares and Turris and we know they ain't coming here. RNH is a top 6 center, a veteran faceoff guy cannot fill that role after Henrik retires. 

I think if we can get RNH for low, it solves some of our current problems. For example, who to take over after Henrik. None better than a player that grew up here.

actually I was thinking EDM could get a serviceable 3C from that group of free agents. 

RNH is a career 43% on face-offs and <50%CF for his career, thats just not good enough for him to be in a 1C role imo, particularly when he doesn't bring a physical game. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nugenry01.html

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Plan past Edler.  He has, what, 2 years left on his deal?

Between Juolevi, Brisebois, McEneny, Tryamkin, Wiercioch, Holm, never mind guys we haven't drafted, traded or signed for, I think we'll be ok making up 3 top 6 LD's with or without Hutton in 2 years.

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

actually I was thinking EDM could get a serviceable 3C from that group of free agents. 

RNH is a career 43% on face-offs and <50%CF for his career, thats just not good enough for him to be in a 1C role imo, particularly when he doesn't bring a physical game. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/nugenry01.html

I don't think RNH will be filling a 1C role, more of a 2C role. He will replace Henrik as a 2C (Henrik's current role) not, 1C. The true replacement for Henrik as 1C (Henrik of few years ago) will be Pettersson.

But I agree that RNH has weaknesses, but the hope is that he will be given the opportunities to improve upon them in a more supportive and better environment than the toxic one that existed in Edmonton prior to McDavid era. 

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Between Juolevi, Brisebois, McEneny, Tryamkin, Wiercioch, Holm, never mind guys we haven't drafted, traded or signed for, I think we'll be ok making up 3 top 6 LD's with or without Hutton in 2 years.

That's optimistic. Possible? Yes.

Just my opinion.

But optimistic enough I don't see us rushing to trade Hutton. If Tyamkin were still here, and no doubts about him; I would be gung ho with you.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just my opinion.

But optimistic enough I don't see us rushing to trade Hutton. If Tyamkin were still here, and no doubts about him; I would be gung ho with you.

I'm in no 'rush' to trade him either. Particularly not for RNH.

On 2017-08-21 at 6:59 PM, nux_win said:

Frankly, I'd rather keep Sutter and see what he can actually do for us (he's had both at least some good individual play and he's made the players around him better at least some of the time - don't have the advanced stats on that but that's my gut feel).  I certainly don't want to give up Sutter and a 1st round pick.  Sutter has had back luck with injuries and never really got into full stride in a Canucks uniform.  I'm still waiting to see what he can do for us.  He's still young yet, no point in giving up on him too soon.  Nuge has some good offensive skills but he's not so "huge" and has he really made the Oilers that much better?  Furthermore, how does trading one center for another center improve our depth at center?  GCG!

Team need for team need. Tanev for RNH makes some sense. The other options didn't work for me. 

We do need a top center, but next season. RNH has failed to live up to his promiss in deadmonton, but I think that had more to do with the Lowe years than RNH. 

EmW

52 minutes ago, khay said:

I don't think RNH will be filling a 1C role, more of a 2C role. He will replace Henrik as a 2C (Henrik's current role) not, 1C. The true replacement for Henrik as 1C (Henrik of few years ago) will be Pettersson.

But I agree that RNH has weaknesses, but the hope is that he will be given the opportunities to improve upon them in a more supportive and better environment than the toxic one that existed in Edmonton prior to McDavid era. 

I guess you could argue its still toxic for 'nuge, he lost his spot to Leon and McDavid. 

52 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just my opinion.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Yesterday on the Sutter thread, tossed this out there:

Suts & Huts

for RNH & Sekeras(but he has NTC)

-Edm saves almost 4.5 mill, AAV, on 2 skaters

Then we trade Edler to Mtl for perhaps a Juulsen pkg. Or prospect + 2018 1st.

HFBoards Hab fans are fawning over Edler.

Our LH-D's would be threadbare..good for the stealth-tank! MDZ, Wiercioch, Sekeras(LTIR) & kiddies.

18 hours ago, shiznak said:

The same soft boy who went up against Joe Thornton and Ryan Getzlaf in the playoffs, who also had 45 blocked shots, which would have ranked him 4th on our team amongst the forwards.

Blocking shots lmao...

I can't even comprehend why you're defending RNH. His 6 million price tag is hilariously absurd. Throw in his injury history and why would anyone want him?

Not even worth getting into it anymore than this. I'm just glad you don't run the Canucks.

The OP suggests the Oilers were ready to trade RNH for less than market value and then proceeded to suggest huge overpayments above market value to trade for him.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the pages of the thread which I assume are explaining those are bad deals.

10 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Blocking shots lmao...

I can't even comprehend why you're defending RNH. His 6 million price tag is hilariously absurd. Throw in his injury history and why would anyone want him?

Not even worth getting into it anymore than this. I'm just glad you don't run the Canucks.

A player under 25, who can consistently put up 50 points, is the norm at 6M.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:15 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Here are the value of specific draft picks.  A random top-10 pick is only worth about a 6 to a 6.5 (on TSN's scale)?  That's the equivalent of a top-8 forward.  No better than a third-liner.  All our presumed top-10 pick next year is worth - is a career 3rd-line forward (assuming we have an equal chance at #1 as #10).  Of course, we'll absolutely suck next year, so our pick isn't just a random top-10 pick, it's a near-guaranteed top-5 pick (which is worth a lot more).

In the long-run, draft picks aren't worth as much as everyone here thinks they're worth.  Very few of them ever turn out (except the high ones, of course).

A random top-10 pick in next year's draft is worth so much less than RNH it's not even funny.  They aren't even comparible.  He's worth a top-5 pick at least (7.22 on TSN's scale).

This is a deep draft and the TSN scale is an aggregate at best.   There are potentially four to seven first pairing Dmen available in the top 10 picks next year - something not seen in at least 20 years.

I don't think draft picks are worth more or less what people think - they are simply assets to be used along with trades, FA, college etc. to better your team.   I do think when you are clearly on the bottom of your cycle and on the climb back out, the picks become more important as chances are your prospect pool has been depleted....but every team's situation is unique to that team.

On August-21-17 at 2:53 PM, VIC_CITY said:

I keep hearing this depth argument in threads like this and the Kerfoot one but people seem to be ignoring the very real possibility that Pettersson ends up being a winger.

Having said that, OPs trade suggestions are horrible. Massive overpayment on our part. I would consider a RNH for Sutter swap, just because of RNH's age. But that's about it.

Yes, there is such a possibility but it is not very high. Pettersson displays very high distribution skills, which would be completely wasted as a winger. Furthermore, there are other wingers in our system that can play on his line. We drafted Pettersson for a GOOD center. He's not going to be a winger.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yes, there is such a possibility but it is not very high. Pettersson displays very high distribution skills, which would be completely wasted as a winger. Furthermore, there are other wingers in our system that can play on his line. We drafted Pettersson for a GOOD center. He's not going to be a winger.

Hopefully you're right. But considering that he's been used primarily as a winger for the last while, it's difficult to just assume that he'll be able to transition back to C when he comes over to NA. Hopefully the transition back to C starts in Sweden. Once he puts some weight on, he'll be much better suited to play the middle. Either way, he's our best forward prospect by a country mile. 

On 23/08/2017 at 6:08 AM, shiznak said:

A player under 25, who can consistently put up 50 points, is the norm at 6M.

If by consistently you mean has already done it more than once or twice then sure. There's only a handful of players in the NHL currently on a run like that (25 years or younger). RNH last accomplished that feat 3 seasons ago. He's overpaid. He should be making around $4.5M. 

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

If by consistently you mean has already done it more than once or twice then sure. There's only a handful of players in the NHL currently on a run like that (25 years or younger). RNH last accomplished that feat 3 seasons ago. He's overpaid. He should be making around $4.5M. 

I'd say 4 of his 6 years in the league (2 of which he was on pace for) is pretty consistent.

Archived