The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning, Daniel Sedin, Don Cherry, Travis Green on Sportsnet 650 (updated)

Adarsh Sant

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Good one! What has been our fewest man games lost on D ever? Stecher earned a spot on the depth chart over every other D-man in our system. When he got the call, he took the bull by the horns. He still made rookie errors early in the season, but his puck skills, his work ethic and his tenacity out shone those. Not all rookies carry their camp levels of play through the season. We've had many camp stars fade away and not even stick in the NHL. That's why the coaches look at depth issues as well as both sides of the ledger when making decisions on young players.

JB's promise is he "would make space".  He didn't make space for Stecher.  Injuries made space.  There is a distinct difference between actively making space, and passively waiting for injuries.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB's promise is he "would make space".  He didn't make space for Stecher.  Injuries made space.  There is a distinct difference between actively making space, and passively waiting for injuries.  

Benning has also been around the game long enough to know that injuries are inevitable. However you want to characterize it, most of us knew that injuries were coming and some of us even stated that when Stecher was sent down.

The biggest problem facing any team, especially ones with playoff aspirations, is the dreaded injury bug, and not having enough depth to call upon to keep powering thru when it happens.  It isn't enough to simply have a handful of decent prospects, you have to have impact players down in the AHL to call upon when the time comes that you lose guys on the 2nd and first lines and top pairing defensemen.  You also have to have all those players playing the same system from top to bottom.  

Now I'm not saying we're a playoff team, but if everything breaks right, and the boys come together, I could see us challenging for that final playoff spot, and having Boesser, Goldobin, etc in the AHL with a shortened travel schedule to call upon...that could be priceless.

59 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

But they've always said that. They've made it clear time and again that Danny and Hank are here to stay unless they initiate trade talks themselves. Why would that necessitate an announcement? 

Just setting the table.  Establishing their value in the event THEY ask to be moved.

49 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

In essence it would appear on surface at face value the Sedins will play for at least three more years.

Do not see that at all.  Even if they had a bounce-back season, they will go year-to-year from here on out.  It'll be up to them, but a season like last year and pretty decent odds they retire.  Virtanen and Goldobin will be waivers-eligible next season plus Dahlen and Gaudette will be knocking on the door, perhaps even Pettersson and Gadjovich.  Will be time to clear the decks, and there will be a lot more appreciation for Eriksson and Sutter as the elder statesmen and veteran leaders up front.

players do have to earn spots, but not necessarily right away. if they get sent down, knowing that they are close to making the team, they will be more energized. they are not going to send the sedins to the farm if a young player outplays them at camp. young player need to believe that when they are ready, they will get a chance. people make a bigger deal out of this then there need to. 

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

NOOO! I'm not ready yet! Don't imply what I think you're implying! Or at least have a great office job lined up for them first! Don't do them like Doan! 

You can bet the Sedins aren't ready to announce that just yet - they'll want to try and have a bounce back year first and see if they can play longer.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just setting the table.  Establishing their value in the event THEY ask to be moved.

Do not see that at all.  Even if they had a bounce-back season, they will go year-to-year from here on out.  It'll be up to them, but a season like last year and pretty decent odds they retire.  Virtanen and Goldobin will be waivers-eligible next season plus Dahlen and Gaudette will be knocking on the door, perhaps even Pettersson and Gadjovich.  Will be time to clear the decks.

They may need to make room for Gaudette late this year.

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Benning has also been around the game long enough to know that injuries are inevitable. However you want to characterize it, most of us knew that injuries were coming and some of us even stated that when Stecher was sent down.

I agree with all you say.  I just believe "making space" is different from waiting for injuries.   I want to see JB actually make space for young guys who earn it.

Making room for young players doesnt mean you waive a vet out of camp. Its not like you cant send a young player to the AHL for a week or two while you work out a trade or decide what veteran to waive. Just because a young player earns a spot on the big club doesnt mean he will be on the starting lineup. Waiting for an injury isnt a cop-out... Its a process, but the sky is not falling if some waiver exempt kids start in Utica even though they had stellar camps. We had over 350 man games lost to injury last year! We dont know what is said behind closed doors, and its not hard to tell Boeser or Virtanen or Dahlen to spent a week or two in Utica while they shuffle players out to make space for the spot they earned. Everyone knows we are going to have injuries. Knowing your likely the first call up is a byproduct of good asset management. Dont waive players unless you have to.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with all you say.  I just believe "making space" is different from waiting for injuries.   I want to see JB actually make space for young guys who earn it.

i agree with you as well alf

but when the difference between players is not huge

sometimes the team makes asset management type decisions to protect the entire talent base on the team

rather then waiving a lessor player and losing him when they could waive the other player and keep them both 

training camp and preseason is really not enough time to completely give up on an asset

we see in hindsight that stetcher clearly is the better player so it is easier to  comment as you have done

the year both our very young rookies were kept up ended up having a negative impact on their career development

49 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So let's be real, Green can say every guy has to 'earn' a spot,  and I fully understand that's exactly what he's supposed to say publicly,  but in reality when your own GM is openly stating there's room for 2 guys,  then we know not everyone is truly having to 'earn' a spot in the truest sense of the term.

Or, and I'm just spitballin' here, JB assumes that veterans in the available slots thus far will be able to pull their boots up high enough to demonstrate they deserve to make the team so he's internally penciled them in. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. If one of the vets falters in camp then cross that bridge when you get to it.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Daniel Sedin “In our 1st meeting with Travis Green, he told us we were not good enough last year.” 

This alone is the best thing a fan of the Canucks could possible want to hear.   If this coach is willing to take on legends, think of how he will get on players down the line-up.   Those of you posting that spots will be gifted and that not all 23 spots on the roster will have to be earned and kept through effort, I think you are underestimating this coach.    

Makes me realize how big a mistake hiring WD was. 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i agree with you as well alf

but when the difference between players is not huge

sometimes the team makes asset management type decisions to protect the entire talent base on the team

rather then waiving a lessor player and losing him when they could waive the other player and keep them both 

training camp and preseason is really not enough time to completely give up on an asset

we see in hindsight that stetcher clearly is the better player so it is easier to  comment as you have done

the year both our very young rookies were kept up ended up having a negative impact on their career development

Good points Coastal.  JB didn't say "when" he would make space.  And maybe making space a bit later is better for the player and the team.  Thanks for the clarity! 

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They may need to make room for Gaudette late this year.

I'm expecting him to finish the year with the Canucks and like Boeser, may never see the AHL.

17 minutes ago, GrandpaCanuck said:

Making room for young players doesnt mean you waive a vet out of camp. Its not like you cant send a young player to the AHL for a week or two while you work out a trade or decide what veteran to waive. Just because a young player earns a spot on the big club doesnt mean he will be on the starting lineup. Waiting for an injury isnt a cop-out... Its a process, but the sky is not falling if some waiver exempt kids start in Utica even though they had stellar camps. We had over 350 man games lost to injury last year! We dont know what is said behind closed doors, and its not hard to tell Boeser or Virtanen or Dahlen to spent a week or two in Utica while they shuffle players out to make space for the spot they earned. Everyone knows we are going to have injuries. Knowing your likely the first call up is a byproduct of good asset management. Dont waive players unless you have to.

Exactly what happened when Hutton made the team and they had to decide on Corrado.  They couldn't find a taker in trade so they waived him, to the chagrin of spittin' mad Sekeres and a good-sized #muhassetmanagement contingent in Canuckville.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Daniel Sedin “In our 1st meeting with Travis Green, he told us we were not good enough last year.” 

This alone is the best thing a fan of the Canucks could possible want to hear.   If this coach is willing to take on legends, think of how he will get on players down the line-up.   Those of you posting that spots will be gifted and that not all 23 spots on the roster will have to be earned and kept through effort, I think you are underestimating this coach.  

I'm happy to have him as the coach of the Canucks. He may not have experience at the NHL level, but he has a great mind and is willing to grow as an NHL head coach. There is also the benefit that he is familiar with some of the players on the current roster that he coached during his time with the Comets. I think he can really help players like Baertschi, Gaunce to turn their game around and play to their best abilities. He also doesn't seem like a coach that is willing to give a free pass to any player, veteran or rookie. I'm excited about our future.

With odds of 1 of Gaunce, Dorsett or Rodin not being ready to go is very likely even though they say the right things right now. This will open it up for Boeser, Goldy, or JV on top of the 2 spots JB talks about.

If that happens and they are 13th and possible 14th forwards, hopefully they don't waste away in the press box and Green rotates players on the 4th line so all get a chance to show their stuff. if not I would rather see them getting 1st , 2nd line minutes in Utica. Way better for their confidence and development IMO.

49 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If you earn a spot you should get that spot. Not, "well hey you are better than Larsen but since you can be sent down for free we'll send you down anyway. Yeah you were better but like I said, you can be sent down for free. Pray for some injuries". 

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

but he did though, there were other guys that could have been called up and Stetcher earned the first call up spot, and then got a chance to stay. Sure its not right out of camp but its also not zero chance like Subban who wasn't even close to ready. 

But I get your point, I was a bit mystified at the Vanek deal since we had already went out and got Gagner for the PP and Vanek isn't a defensive star so why sign him if you want to see more youth? But the flip side is the 2 kids that do make the line-up will have a more competitive team to learn on so thats preferable to a bunch of kids learning how to lose every night. 

i think that if the yougsters play well in preseason virt, goldo, boeser, rodin  benning will waive dorsett and trade sutter

sedin sedin vanek

baertchi bo rodin

eriksson gagner granlund

white burmi virtanen

gaunce/goldobin looks like a more up tempo offensive with a crash fast bang 4th line 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

i think that if the yougsters play well in preseason virt, goldo, boeser, rodin  benning will waive dorsett and trade sutter

sedin sedin vanek

baertchi bo rodin

eriksson gagner granlund

white burmi virtanen

gaunce/goldobin looks like a more up tempo offensive with a crash fast bang 4th line 

Benning will not trade Sutter before the season starts lol. 

Archived