The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Canucks sign Scottie Upshall to a PTO

Adarsh Sant

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Me neither.  Upshall is a guy who competes hard and gives us some of the missing grit.  You know he will come cheap too.

As far as our lines are concerned - it's hard to say.  I think Eriksson needs to have the opportunity to prove himself and he isn't going to be doing that as much on a lower line.  I do think he and Granlund are interchangeable in your lineup though; I find it hard to believe Green wouldn't give Eriksson one last chance with the Sedins.  Assuming a good camp, I also see Boeser potentially starting higher up - possibly even on the first line where he got some success last season for those few games.

I just think Horvat and Baerstchi need a Vet to be a top line. I also think that Eriksson looked the best all year when on a line with them.

I also heard Linden in his interview hint to them having the chance to be a top line for us if they play together.

If they move Gaunce to center the 4th line, I could see Upshall being a good LW option on the 4th line if he plays well in the pre-season.  He has some offensive ability, has good speed, and is responsible defensively.  I think it would make the line a better typical 4th line as compared with having Burmistrov with Gaunce.  At minimum, it should make the line harder to play against, especially if Dorsett is healthy.

There would be an interesting battle between Burmistrov, Rodin or Boucher though I think Burmistrov would stay since he's a center.  Combined with the Vanek signing, there would be no room for Virtanen, Boeser or Goldobin either.

18 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Hard to call any of those guys "kids". Horvat (22) has been a very mature guy since day 1 and many people are talking about him as ready to be captain if Henrik retires after next year. Gaunce (23)  is also very mature. Stecher (23) and Hutton (24) both played 4 years of college and have adapted well to the NHL. And Granlund (24) and Baertschi (turning 25 in October) have both been around for a while and have matured a lot. None of those guys looks like guys who need a lot of "veteran leadership". And Rodin is 26.

This year's team will be a pretty mature team, not a young team. Benning might have put together a playoff contender. I am not necessarily a fan of this approach as I would rather try to build a Cup contender down the road, but this year's team could surprise some people.

Think you misunderstood my wording, none of that was missed.

Thats exactly what I was saying by the only kids in the line up are ones we have watched already asides from rodin and hes not even a kid. He is just "newish" and unproven in the nhl.

Very mature team considering the whole youth movement propaganda!

I am okay with it though. as if we went full youth movement:

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin

Baerstchi-Horvat-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaunce-Boucher

It would be a risky line up. Very little depth for injuries, Utica would be a barren wasteland again filled with career ahlers and plugs.

Potential Negatives:

Goldobin: Just feel he isn't ready for the NHL, needs to mature his game away from the puck and get stronger - think he is very close though

Boeser: Not too concerned about his speed, he looked fast enough to me in the 9 games. But I think endurance for a season with much more volume then he is use to and at a higher level could be a very hard adjustment. Especially when relied on to contribute at a top 6 clip. Utica could be the safer choice for Boeser, adjusting to a full pro season, get faster stronger more confident then be a top contender for the Calder next season. 

Virtanen: Strong believer he needs to find his confidence and consistency as a top 6 scoring winger in Utica before making the jump back to the NHL. With his tool box, being deployed as a bottom 6 winger in the NHL before doing this I believe it will limit his career potential to a middle 6 energy winger that scores 15-20 goals a year here and there.

Gaunce and Boucher: would be fine.

All just my opinions, I want Boeser to be in the opening lineup though, I do expect him there. Just saying if he does go to utica my world wont be destroyed.

** Also the line up would be rather identical to what we iced at the end of the season.. which didn't win too many games as I recall.

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Think you misunderstood my wording, none of that was missed.

Thats exactly what I was saying by the only kids in the line up are ones we have watched already asides from rodin and hes not even a kid. He is just "newish" and unproven in the nhl.

Very mature team considering the whole youth movement propaganda!

I am okay with it though. as if we went full youth movement:

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin

Baerstchi-Horvat-Boeser

Granlund-Sutter-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaunce-Boucher

It would be a risky line up. Very little depth for injuries, Utica would be a barren wasteland again filled with career ahlers and plugs.

Potential Negatives:

Goldobin: Just feel he isn't ready for the NHL, needs to mature his game away from the puck and get stronger - think he is very close though

Boeser: Not too concerned about his speed, he looked fast enough to me in the 9 games. But I think endurance for a season with much more volume then he is use to and at a higher level could be a very hard adjustment. Especially when relied on to contribute at a top 6 clip. Utica could be the safer choice for Boeser, adjusting to a full pro season, get faster stronger more confident then be a top contender for the Calder next season. 

Virtanen: Strong believer he needs to find his confidence and consistency as a top 6 scoring winger in Utica before making the jump back to the NHL. With his tool box, being deployed as a bottom 6 winger in the NHL before doing this I believe it will limit his career potential to a middle 6 energy winger that scores 15-20 goals a year here and there.

Gaunce and Boucher: would be fine.

All just my opinions, I want Boeser to be in the opening lineup though, I do expect him there. Just saying if he does go to utica my world wont be destroyed.

** Also the line up would be rather identical to what we iced at the end of the season.. which didn't win too many games as I recall.

Kinda think may find a spot for Gagne after forking out 9.5M

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

My ignore list is actually quite short and is reserved for a few special posters.    Perhaps my bar is too high for inclusion in that group.   

I've only got 4-5, but he's makes it no problem.  No attempt at rational discussion at all.  pure troll

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've only got 4-5, but he's makes it no problem.  No attempt at rational discussion at all.  pure troll

Oh, fully agree.  I doubt even remotely a fan of the Canucks and takes some form of twisted pleasure getting a reaction from actual Canuck fans - I always picture the stereotypical guy stuck in Mom's basement sort of thing - but I find it kinda entertaining and most of these trolls (about 10 regulars) seem to have a hard time when you confront them with facts versus the response they want (outrage at their statements).   Most seem to eventually crash out - or run out of IP addresses to use.   

People are an interesting species but trolls on the internet are a special breed - I guess I feel more sorry for them than anything else and feel kinda guilty for how entertaining I find some of their posts.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

We basically have three 2nd lines and a 3rd line. Nobody will be getting 1st line minutes or 4th line minutes. 

Sutter even as '4C' would still see a tonne of time taking Dzone draws, PK'ing etc. 

Looks like it on paper, I can't argue your reasoning.

Guess we'll just wait and see how it actually shakes out once the season's under way.

46 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, fully agree.  I doubt even remotely a fan of the Canucks and takes some form of twisted pleasure getting a reaction from actual Canuck fans - I always picture the stereotypical guy stuck in Mom's basement sort of thing - but I find it kinda entertaining and most of these trolls (about 10 regulars) seem to have a hard time when you confront them with facts versus the response they want (outrage at their statements).   Most seem to eventually crash out - or run out of IP addresses to use.   

People are an interesting species but trolls on the internet are a special breed - I guess I feel more sorry for them than anything else and feel kinda guilty for how entertaining I find some of their posts.

I'm with you. I don't ignore many purely for the entertainment value of their ridiculous nature. Every now and then I'll take the bait and respond, but it's not worth engaging in their drawn out disputation. Haters gonna hate, logic be damned.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

how you can you not have that dumbass on ignore?

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

13 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

I'm with you. I don't ignore many purely for the entertainment value of their ridiculous nature. Every now and then I'll take the bait and respond, but it's not worth engaging in their drawn out disputation. Haters gonna hate, logic be damned.

Y'all take this so serious you have people on ignore?

lol

Just now, riffraff said:

lol

Yup, my extensive list includes one user. About a year ago I got fed up with one poster, so instead of reading his obnoxious and illiterate posts, I ignored him. Shame on me.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

lol

I have four names on my ignore list, three of them went out of their way to threaten me (sigh, pretty lame) and one joked about tricking women using questionable tactics (illegal)  into sleeping with him/her.   I have no time for those sorts of people - it is exactly that this isn't serious that I made those ignores happen not per what you imply.

Archived