The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Canucks sign Scottie Upshall to a PTO

Adarsh Sant

1 hour ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

one last heavy veteran team for one final kick at the cat for Henrick and Daniel, then a heavy rebuild next year, I can handle that, bring it on...

And in the meantime, your next core gets to continue play and develop together in Utica playing 20 minutes per game and in all situations, including pp and pk. 

Nothing wrong with that imo. I've said it before, why do people continue to believe that 20 and 21 year old kids will just be able to step in to the lineup and carry this team? The Penguins rookies who helped carry them to their last two Cup wins were two 23 year olds and a 25 year old. 

24 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Always liked Upshall.

Decent skater, reliable defensively, and had some surprising offensive output mixed in every few seasons.  He should provide solid competition and I wouldn't mind seeing him ending up with a 4th line role.

I'd agree with this.  

Its not like upshall will be playing a full healthy season if signed.  For a little guy he plays with a lot of jam. 

I really do think managment wants wants some of that jam with the unknown of dorsett.  The white and upshall ptos are a clear sign of this.  

I do t get why people get upset about the kids being pushed out.  It's honestly the best thing for their development.  Many will get called up throughout the season, but they should also be in a solid and competitive atmosphere in Utica. 

Like fererro says, he's still waiting on a prospect being ruined by taking time with their development.  Unless the kids are stealing jobs away from veterans, they should develop at a lower level imo.  

When Toronto does this, getting vets to deal at the deadline, signing ptos and making the kids play in the AHL...its the Shanaplan!  Every team should follow this.  We do it, we have no direction, no clue, and why can't we just play the kids....  Look at it this way, if Upshall plays his way into a contract, we win, if he doesn't...some kid is playing his role on the team because the kids is better...we win.  We aren't going to win the cup this year, and we need to get more players we can flip, while allowing the kids to be sheltered so that we don't do it the Edmonton way.  Start all the kids in the AHL and lets see what October brings...  If we keep all the people we have on hand now, we have a nice kind of depth that'll probably help us win a few more games than last year.  And before all you tank fans dig in....I'll point to Philly and Dallas.  I'd rather have us be a bubble team and win the lotto, than a tire fire and pick fifth.

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

There is nothing wrong with adding players on PTOs. It creates competition, which is good. Upshall has great skating ability and isn't afraid to get in the dirty areas. He is also a decent penalty killer, which would be beneficial for the Canucks (if he makes it on the fourth line), seeing how they were ranked 28th in the league last season.

I would say Benning is taking the team in the right direction. Special teams is something the Canucks needed to make an improvement on. They went ahead and got Newell Brown, added scorers like Vanek and Gagner, and now possibly Upshall, White and maybe a few more guys.

Thinking of the now and the future....

"Would there be a better mentor for Virtanen than Upshall?"

Linemate, roommate....

Atleast for the entire training camp....

Always liked Upshall.

I'm getting the impression that Canucks' management wants their young guns (Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen) to stew together in Utica. Which at this point could be a good play.

That's what Toronto did, when they knew the season would be a tire fire - they let Nylander and the young guys stay on the Marlies, and gain some confidence and chemistry. And they signed a bunch of vets, and got picks for many of them at the deadline, and then called up the young guys to gain some NHL experience at the end of the year with no expectations.

9 hours ago, combover said:

its weird that nobody sees the humour in a interview a day earlier a coach stating he wants the team to be younger and faster and he said the same thing when he got hired yet the gm has really made this an older and slower team.again. Yeah it's a pto and by design it's to drive the young guys and help with the ridiculous  trip to china but man it's the same issues coach says one thing managment does another. Atleast appear to be on the same page. 

Green is familiar with the younth yet the youth will not be on his team. 

you appreciate only older players sign PTOs ?
no chance of getting a young player on one

and you realize we need 2 teams

one for china, one for here?

this is all stop gap by the gm

and actually good planning

No problem at all with Upshall competing for that final RW spot on the fourth line.

How I see the canucks line up shaking down based off this summer and what I have heard:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser/Rodin --> Have a feeling Rodin could make the team but doubt he'd stay healthy the whole year. Especially with all the rumours that canucks brass is thinking utica for Boeser for his speed and to adjust to playing a higher volume of games, and at the pro level.

Gaunce-Sutter-Upshall

Plethora of call ups:

Megna, Chaput, Burmistrov, Boucher, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin

*Dorsett --> Really not sure where he is at, if he was healthy I doubt they invite both White and Upshall but maybe I am wrong!

The only kids who make the team are the ones we already have watched:

Horvat

Baerstchi

Granlund

Gaunce

Stecher

Hutton

And Possibly now Rodin

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

I can see your point, I just don't see Sutter playing 4th line minutes.

Sutter is a lock at 3c + PK, and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays with the twins for a bit, again. 

We basically have three 2nd lines and a 3rd line. Nobody will be getting 1st line minutes or 4th line minutes. 

Sutter even as '4C' would still see a tonne of time taking Dzone draws, PK'ing etc. 

54 minutes ago, R3aL said:

No problem at all with Upshall competing for that final RW spot on the fourth line.

How I see the canucks line up shaking down based off this summer and what I have heard:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser/Rodin --> Have a feeling Rodin could make the team but doubt he'd stay healthy the whole year. Especially with all the rumours that canucks brass is thinking utica for Boeser for his speed and to adjust to playing a higher volume of games, and at the pro level.

Gaunce-Sutter-Upshall

Plethora of call ups:

Megna, Chaput, Burmistrov, Boucher, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin

*Dorsett --> Really not sure where he is at, if he was healthy I doubt they invite both White and Upshall but maybe I am wrong!

Horvat

Baerstchi

Granlund

Gaunce

Stecher

Hutton

And Possibly now Rodin

Me neither.  Upshall is a guy who competes hard and gives us some of the missing grit.  You know he will come cheap too.

As far as our lines are concerned - it's hard to say.  I think Eriksson needs to have the opportunity to prove himself and he isn't going to be doing that as much on a lower line.  I do think he and Granlund are interchangeable in your lineup though; I find it hard to believe Green wouldn't give Eriksson one last chance with the Sedins.  Assuming a good camp, I also see Boeser potentially starting higher up - possibly even on the first line where he got some success last season for those few games.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do you even understand the concept of PTO?

10 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'm a HUGE fan of Scottie Upshall.  Since his blazer days.   Hope he makes the team.

10 hours ago, Ronning4center said:

It's a long season guys...grit and energy are always welcome.  Or....would you rather see magna on the 4th

#freemegna

As a PTO, I think Upshall is less than 50-50 to make the team. But he has a shot. I think Benning is reacting to being burned last year when, after a couple of injuries, the Canucks had to put 4 or 5 replacement level forwards on the ice pretty much every game -- Megna, Chaput, Skille, Shore, Gaunce, Boucher, Crammerosa, Molino, LaBate. I just added things up. Those 9 guys combined for 40 pts in 307 games -- or about 0.13 PPG, which is about half of what you expect from decent 4th liners. If that is close to your entire bottom 6 you are not going to score much. And it is not like that group added a lot of speed, physical play, or good defence. 

Benning seems determined to have legitimate NHL quality players (above replacement level) available -- including the 13th and 14th man spots and a couple of guys in Utica.

The irony is that, after signing several veterans to provide "leadership" for young guys, there won't be many young guys to lead.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Horvat

Baerstchi

Granlund

Gaunce

Stecher

Hutton

And Possibly now Rodin

Hard to call any of those guys "kids". Horvat (22) has been a very mature guy since day 1 and many people are talking about him as ready to be captain if Henrik retires after next year. Gaunce (23)  is also very mature. Stecher (23) and Hutton (24) both played 4 years of college and have adapted well to the NHL. And Granlund (24) and Baertschi (turning 25 in October) have both been around for a while and have matured a lot. None of those guys looks like guys who need a lot of "veteran leadership". And Rodin is 26.

This year's team will be a pretty mature team, not a young team. Benning might have put together a playoff contender. I am not necessarily a fan of this approach as I would rather try to build a Cup contender down the road, but this year's team could surprise some people.

Archived