The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats the best advice you ever received in your life?

JM_

when i worked with young offenders, i learned that,  the way a person reacts to any situation, is normal for them at that time in their life.  it might be wrong reactions but normal to them. helped me help them. 

most of the important things in life i learned, i learned from the game of baseball

2 good ones in golf. i use to slice all the time. this older golfer asked me if played baseball. asked if when i swung my bat, if i broke my wrist.? he told me to do the same with my swing. i've hit the ball straight ever since.  the other was about putting. the fellow told me to listen for the ball to drop in the cup, rather than watching it on it's journey. 

better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. 

treat others as you would like to be treated.

don't judge others who think different than you do. 

"Look at her mother, that is what she will look like in 30 years " Grandpa from the village telling 12 yr old Darius about finding a wife

"See how those dummies across the street roll up cars, vacations, and swimming pools into their Mortgage - dont do that" - Dad telling 20yr old Darius about Finances

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

when i worked with young offenders, i learned that,  the way a person reacts to any situation, is normal for them at that time in their life.  it might be wrong reactions but normal to them. helped me help them. 

I ran out of +'s already! 

This is also a brilliant piece of knowledge for the work world, a prof of mine said something very similar. People on CDC who are maybe just starting out on their work lives need to remember this one, you are going to run into people who do things that seem perfectly fine to them and they do it because its worked for them or to them its normal behaviour. It really helps to not get sucked into some bad situations and keep the right perspective on things. 

Archived