The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

Confirms what I suspected about Pedan. He is probably someone who will never really take that last step to the NHL. He wasn't bad he was just not good enough. Pouliot imo is a much more talented player and if handled correctly will achieve his potential here.

This is a potentially exciting trade for us.

If this weren't CDC, it would be surprising the amount of poopooing that goes on around here over an AHL defenseman like Pedan or a 4th round pick.

But I've read enough Granlund threads to expect lots of whining no matter what the Canucks do.

As someone that has seen Pouliot in the WHL - and at the WJC - his puck moving/skating and dangling abilities are unquestionable.

This team has been seeking a puck mover for years.  This is a young guy that may not have burst his way into the NHL, but he's also been in a system rich in precisely the skillset he represents.  He's coming to one with a few other young guys, but even with Stecher owning a spot, there is still an opportunity for Pouliot.

Looking forward to seeing what this low-risk acquisition can do here.  No brainer imo - of course Benning seizes this opportunity at this cost.  

If Benning had pulled this deal off a few years ago CDC would have exploded for joy. With that said Pouliet is a good project to try. Puck moving defenseman with offensive upside. Penguins have Letang and Schultz for that and obviously felt he was a spare part.

Pedan gone is no loss in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Confirms what I suspected about Pedan. He is probably someone who will never really take that last step to the NHL. He wasn't bad he was just not good enough. Pouliot imo is a much more talented player and if handled correctly will achieve his potential here.

This is a potentially exciting trade for us.

I think for Pedan it was the challenge of dramatically improving his lateral movement - which he did somewhat, but you could still see he lacked the quickness to stay with shifty forwards in coverage.  Good north south speed, but pivoting, stop/start and changing directions is every bit as important - and he's such a big guy who is pretty upright in his skating style.  He can still improve, but was he ever going to take a spot from Edler, Hutton, MDZ, Juolevi....?

Some perspective guys, we have the 2nd waiver priority, if Pouliout were to be waived we could snag him with ease.

Roster deadline is 2 hours away, and in order to fit all these D, the young guys we've been cheering for will have to be papered down at least to submit our list. 

As for Pedan, I like the guy a lot. However, in recent years pure rookies have gone on to take defensive spots ahead of him. He had his chance here, when we had no depth and desperately needed physicality, it didn't work out. 

I like that we're taking a chance on a former 8th overall, and a guy that has some history with Green. Benning said in his season preview that he could ideally acquire a powerplay RHD, and may have managed just that.  

9 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I'm interested to see if Benning will take advantage of our first place position in the waiver wire now.  Maybe that helped in making the trade instead of waiting for Pouliot on waivers?  Trade for Pouliot and pick someone up from VGK... although, that would mean two players added that have to play on the roster!

They had to move a contract - they are close to the 50 contract limit.  

As others have said - I did not expect this.

Certainly more potential upside with Pouliot, but he really is a project and hasn't yet shown ability anywhere close to his draft position.  I thought Pedan did look improved this preseason, but at the end of the day we really didn't need him nor did it look like he was ever going to be a force in the NHL.

Again, we throw in a draft pick.  It's only a 4th which isn't worth much, but with Benning's knack at drafting I can't wonder if we are giving it up for nothing.  Hopefully Pouliot will just turn out to be a late bloomer?

13 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I'm interested to see if Benning will take advantage of our first place position in the waiver wire now. 

We are at 2. Colorado doesnt lose their spot because they claimed a player.

28 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Good to see Benning is trying to really add some zip to the back end.

Nothing against Weirdcrotch , but we don't need any more stale mayonnaise on D.

We need more Jolt Cola.

Benning seems to have the nack picking up former 1st round picks. I like this one the best because he's an offensive D man and is only 23, has plenty of time to continue his development. Cross our fingers on this one it could be huge.

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Some perspective guys, we have the 2nd waiver priority, if Pouliout were to be waived we could snag him with ease.

Roster deadline is 2 hours away, and in order to fit all these D, the young guys we've been cheering for will have to be papered down at least to submit our list. 

As for Pedan, I like the guy a lot. However, in recent years pure rookies have gone on to take defensive spots ahead of him. He had his chance here, when we had no depth and desperately needed physicality, it didn't work out. 

I like that we're taking a chance on a former 8th overall, and a guy that has some history with Green. Benning said in his season preview that he could ideally acquire a powerplay RHD, and may have managed just that.  

1.Colorado had first dibs and need D

2.He is a LHD

Archived