The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

Like many on here said, it's a low risk, high reward situation that's worth taking.  Someone on 1040 made the point of that in Pittsburgh he was expendable because Schultz and Letang made him very redundant.  Pouliot's skill set isn't as redundant here so why not see if he can find a groove from the little price Benning paid.  And yeah, it kinda sucks losing Pedan's toughness, but it wasn't as if he was going to play a lot of games here this year anyway.

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

he obviously has problems that has made pittsburg give up on him. if green can help him progress, then the deal will be very good. if not, life goes on. let's give them a chance to build up his confidence. 

Teams that are in the middle of challenging for cups rarely have the patience for developing young players. We've seen it happen here in recent years.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Neither player's stock has risen over the last few years but if they can get Pouliot back on track, that's his ceiling. I'm making no guarantee that he reaches that, That's their ceiling, not necessarily their likely outcomes.

Demonstrated near elite speed, skill with puck, size ( he is 208 lbs, Hamhuis size) and considerable aplomb with the puck at lower levels....

These are scouted attributes few have.

i agree with an earlier post )think it was yours ?); worth the risk...

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'll give Pouliot a chance. But I'm not convinced this was such a smart move.  Yet another first round reclamation project. How many of former first rounders, that did not live up to potential and couldn't handle the NHL and took a downwards projectory over a period of years, ever came roaring back to the same status?  Some I'm sure do, but I'd bet the odds are terrible based on history.  Pouliot was on his way downward, he wasn't even an option in the season when Letang went out, or as depth in the last playoffs. While Pedan's play is improving. Plus he has size, which the Canucks back end is sorely lacking in, especially with Tryamkin's departure. Not to mention yet another draft pick traded away on a long shot. I thought we were going the other direction.

I really like your point of view and willingness to go against what every one else is saying here. You may be right and I will personally miss pedan.

I think though what jb is thinking is that if they can get pouliot turned around it will be a big plus. His potential is just higher. 

While most people are saying low risk high reward on this board I think they aren't giving pedan enough credit for what he can bring . 

Let's hope for the best with DP on our team . 

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Teams that are in the middle of challenging for cups rarely have the patience for developing young players. We've seen it happen here in recent years.

The Pens were going to likely lose Polliot to waivers.  They got assets for him.  It's a win - win trade.  

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree Pedan didn't have any value.  But I'm not going to call it a win, and it lies in that 4th pick.  Benning has already proven to be a good drafter, and Pouliot has already proven he is unlikely to reach his ceiling.  Reading HFboards, Penguins fans are happy to see him out of there - presumably for that exact reason.

So basically, we gave up an admittedly not great player and a draft pick for the CHANCE that Pouliot might turn it around.  That's a sure-fire win to you?  Alrighty.

If you believe Benning is such a good drafter then how can you argue the trade?  Does his skill evaluation ability only work pre-drafted players?  I seriously hate this argument.  If he traded the 4th pick and Pedan for Pouliot then he decided that Pedan plus whoever he thinks might be available in the 4th round wasn't worth the possible upside of Pouliot. 

So yes... Benning is giving up a 4th round pick (10% chance at getting a serviceable NHL player) and a player who has a CHANCE at being a bottom pairing defenceman for someone he has seen play and has a CHANCE to be a solid top-4 defenceman. 

Give it up man its a freaking 4th round pick.

Btw... Sven and Granny say Hi.

Big Pedan fan.

I liked the Shinkaruk trade right away. This one I'm not so knee jerk stoked on. Pedan had lots of tools. Big shot. Fast as hell. Mean mofo. Perfect 5/6 Dman and still young and improving.

The only reason I'm not bitter is because I have faith that guys like JB and Co. know a lot more about NHL calibre players than I ever will. I do agree Pedan still had yet to earn a spot on the big club but I was rooting for the guy.

Welcome Benoit. I am a Canucks fan and supporter to core. I'll be cheering you on

Go 'Nucks!

Good trade. Travis Green knows Pouliot and Pedan very well. I am confident that he will help turn around Derrick Pouliot the way he did with Baertschi and Virtanen. The upside of this kid is too great to pass up....

Archived