The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the NHL's Best Commentary Team?

I've been watching a lot of highlights from the NHL with only the game commentary as the audio so far this season and I can't help but notice I dislike most of the NHL's commentary duos. Maybe it's because I've been spoiled as a Canuck fan with (my personal favorite) Jim Hughson and the likeable duo of John & John. What do you guys think? Is there anybody better than Jim Hughson?

P.S. My least favorite is Mike 'sashay/waffleboard" Emerick.

john and john have the best chemistry together hands down. they always sound like they have such a good time together while being able to tell a good story in the game they're calling, rather than standard play by play "guy passes puck, etc" there's a story within the game. maybe im a nerd :3

15 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

john and john have the best chemistry together hands down. they always sound like they have such a good time together while being able to tell a good story in the game they're calling, rather than standard play by play "guy passes puck, etc" there's a story within the game. maybe im a nerd :3

I agree with you. Their chemistry, along with Shorthouse actually being very good, and Garrett's goofiness, makes them the best duo in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

I don't know about teams, but I like the Sabres announcer Rick Jeanneret very much. He could call games on his own and it would be entertaining.

You're absolutely right this guy is pretty legendary.

1- John & John

2- Bob Cole & the mental-midget(just for Bob's gorgeouuus hockey voice..Gawd it's great!)

3- Brendan Burke & Goring(NYI's..our old Comets guy is one of the best I've heard; though Butch is pretty mild & blase)

4- If memory serves, the Jets guys(radio..forget?) call a good game; radio for Habbies & Fleas are enthusiastic & well-informed

5- The Canes guys also call a nice, low-key style

Have to emphasize, I really dislke the bombastic guys that sound like they're exclaiming/suffering a hyperbole-aneurysm, & F***ing martians have landed in Times Sq.(EG: That maniac calling the TBay pbp..bloody loon.)

But I'm almost 50..coupla' decades back, I prob woulda' complained my above favs are too unenthusiastic!

After years of streaming games I have my faves and not-so-faves. I don't know the names by heart though. 

The good:

Detroit

New York Rangers

Colorado

The bad:

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Washington (mainly because the SCORE! for goals bugs me)

And shoutout to Gene Principe from the Oilers regional broadcast team, he's good. 

The best ever was Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin, for those of you old enough to remember. I could not stand any of the Hewitt's, maybe the reason why I loathe the Leafs. Shorthouse has grown on me, and he and Garrett are a complimentary pair. Jim Robson, was by far the best in this market, and no one will ever be better than him. I haven't heard Batchelor yet, don't listen to radio broadcasts anymore.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Bob Cole is my favorite of all time. Best cadence of any PbP guy. Ferraro and Cuthbert is my favorite duo. Ferraro and Miller are good too. 

I don't get why people like Jim Hughson anymore. The guy has phoned it in the last 5-6 years. I am not a big fan of the Johns.

Love Cole.  He's "the best there is; the best there was; and the best there ever will be"

Danny Gallivan was excellent too, and Jim Robeson.  

I've ne er been a fan of Hughson.  Something just wrong with his voice for me.  John Shorthouse is very good too.

Mike Lange is one the legendary commentators,

Sam Rosen is a great one too, his power play goal calls are legendary,

Gary Thorne was probably the most entertaining, he always made the game dramatic and he had great calls,

I watch online and usually get the home team's crew and perspective on the opposing team which would be our Canucks.

For people like myself who cut off cable more than a decade ago still find it unbelievable that the Canucks don't offer online streaming by season or monthly packages.

Archived