The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

HD projector with 106 inch screen.... not a TV.  ATMOS sound system.

Quite pleasant.

Interesting and i guess i have to look into it. Doing a living room addition and tv on one wall will be one concern as to what to do. Does it project from low or up at the ceiling... or can you pick either?

20 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

Fan Base 5 years ago:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL: 3 1/2 years ago "It would not be fair to the Sedins"

Fan Base Today: "Fine, we will wait until then to buy tickets"

Fan Base Today: Still waiting for rebuild, not just a draft pick to play like every other team or season.

Here is a question for you, if a team drafts a couple of players and they play on a team, is that rebuilding?

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Interesting and i guess i have to look into it. Doing a living room addition and tv on one wall will be one concern as to what to do. Does it project from low or up at the ceiling... or can you pick either?

You can pick either.  Mine is suspended from the ceiling, but you can have it on a table or on a shelf at the back wall.

Don't bother getting a really expensive one, a $600 projector gives a ridiculously good HD picture bright enough to be clear in a normal room unless you are dealing with direct sunlight.

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It's well known throughout the league that our fanbase is full of bandwagon, fair weather fans who can only see negative.

No it's not. This is a fallacy that gets repeated by those who feel they are superior fans. 

2014 ended a 474 game sellout streak. https://www.nhl.com/news/canucks-fail-to-sell-out-for-1st-time-since-02-snapping-streak-of-474-games/c-735172

All sports fans are fairweather/bandwagon fans. That's why teams want to win.  

37 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not buying tickets because I live on the Island. When I was in Van last year I went to a game with friends. We bought our four tickets online, first row balcony, for $30 each. Hardly expensive. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but that's likely because I can see the positives in our team and rebuild. Also because it was against the Islanders, and it was great watching JT roof one top shelf. 

It's well known throughout the league that our fanbase is full of bandwagon, fair weather fans who can only see negative. It's a culture of grievance. Just look at our local media, and then picture those who listen to them agreeing with all their deplorable points. 

Those who listen to Team 1040 and can see the garbage spewed by the hosts are the types of fans Vancouver just does not have enough of, unfortunately. 

How far is the island? Is that really an excuse? Why didn't you go last night for 30$ man?

42 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not buying tickets because I live on the Island. When I was in Van last year I went to a game with friends. We bought our four tickets online, first row balcony, for $30 each. Hardly expensive. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, but that's likely because I can see the positives in our team and rebuild. Also because it was against the Islanders, and it was great watching JT roof one top shelf. 

It's well known throughout the league that our fanbase is full of bandwagon, fair weather fans who can only see negative. It's a culture of grievance. Just look at our local media, and then picture those who listen to them agreeing with all their deplorable points. 

Those who listen to Team 1040 and can see the garbage spewed by the hosts are the types of fans Vancouver just does not have enough of, unfortunately. 

You're beating the crap out of this drum here.  but through lack of recent memory and awareness of if other clubs you're not accurate at all.

lets go back even just a few years and ignore some of the garbage ownership mgmt and coaching decisions......

during AV's tenure, the most recent Canucks heyday, the team was amazeballs.  Talent, character, coaching - greatness too to bottom.  But, and arguably rightly so from a business pov, ticket value was the equivalent of a first born child.  The lower bowl was filled with corporate players banging smart phones and generally poseuing in the new place to be.  Real fans?  Maybe. Doubtful.  Where are the suits now?  While this was going on, young people and families were left to cheer from the couch due to lack of affordable tickets.  Heck most families are an hour commute from the rink anyway.  Another issue.....

so how was ownership fostering long term fan base growth and commitment? They weren't.

when you grow up as a kid or young person, in touch with a team, you commit yourself emotionally to that team.  There was a long gap in this process and due to ticket prices/real estat prices we aren't seeing a committed fan base.

now loook around the league.  Watch other teams.  California, Florida, Dallas, Carolina.....where are those fans?  The kings have one cups.  Their fans don't show up in sellouts until the playoffs.  Anaheim has been a great team for years with elite talent.  Building is generally half full.  Dallas the same.

youre not wrong in that there are some bitchy fans in town but to cast off everyone as simply fairweather is out to lunch.

Again, i kept this to cursory economics and didn't get into some other key issues surrounding this franchise.

ftr

im

an islander too.  I took my son to see the bolts a while back.  All in including hotel I could have gone to Mexico on a package vacay for the same price.

so buck up before you call out fans.

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How far is the island? Is that really an excuse? Why didn't you go last night for 30$ man?

Because I travel for work from the end of September to December, and last night I was flying home from Ottawa. I did mention how the last time I was in Van I went to a game, didn't I? I'm also going to see Vancouver vs Calgary in November when I'm there for work next month, even though our team is apparently embarrassing, worthless, or however some on here choose to describe us. 

Nucks fans have lots of narratives they live by. Mine is that we are on the right track with a prospect pool like we've never had, and even though we lose games, I find it fun to watch on tv and especially in person whenever I can. 

Judging by the reaction I'm getting on here, you can uncover what the other narratives are of some. 

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Because I travel for work from the end of September to December, and last night I was flying home from Ottawa. I did mention how the last time I was in Van I went to a game, didn't I? I'm also going to see Vancouver vs Calgary in November when I'm there for work next month, even though our team is apparently embarrassing, worthless, or however some on here choose to describe us. 

Nucks fans have lots of narratives they live by. Mine is that we are on the right track with a prospect pool like we've never had, and even though we lose games, I find it fun to watch on tv and especially in person whenever I can. 

Judging by the reaction I'm getting on here, you can uncover what the other narratives are of some. 

I get your narrative man. Call others out for not going to the game when you yourself didn't go.

31 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You're beating the crap out of this drum here.  but through lack of recent memory and awareness of if other clubs you're not accurate at all.

lets go back even just a few years and ignore some of the garbage ownership mgmt and coaching decisions......

during AV's tenure, the most recent Canucks heyday, the team was amazeballs.  Talent, character, coaching - greatness too to bottom.  But, and arguably rightly so from a business pov, ticket value was the equivalent of a first born child.  The lower bowl was filled with corporate players banging smart phones and generally poseuing in the new place to be.  Real fans?  Maybe. Doubtful.  Where are the suits now?  While this was going on, young people and families were left to cheer from the couch due to lack of affordable tickets.  Heck most families are an hour commute from the rink anyway.  Another issue.....

so how was ownership fostering long term fan base growth and commitment? They weren't.

when you grow up as a kid or young person, in touch with a team, you commit yourself emotionally to that team.  There was a long gap in this process and due to ticket prices/real estat prices we aren't seeing a committed fan base.

now loook around the league.  Watch other teams.  California, Florida, Dallas, Carolina.....where are those fans?  The kings have one cups.  Their fans don't show up in sellouts until the playoffs.  Anaheim has been a great team for years with elite talent.  Building is generally half full.  Dallas the same.

youre not wrong in that there are some bitchy fans in town but to cast off everyone as simply fairweather is out to lunch.

Again, i kept this to cursory economics and didn't get into some other key issues surrounding this franchise.

ftr

im

an islander too.  I took my son to see the bolts a while back.  All in including hotel I could have gone to Mexico on a package vacay for the same price.

so buck up before you call out fans.

I think you're arguing against yourself here. The corporate fanbase who is there during the good and gone during the bad is exactly the type of fanbase talking about, as well as lots of regular Joe fans who aren't corporate but still grieve every chance they get. For example, I was talking hockey with a cab driver recently who had nothing good to say about the nucks. He sounded like a Team 1040 sychophant, yet he didn't even know who Boeser or Pettersson are. These types don't make up the entire fanbase, but it's well known it makes up most, and it's embarrassing to be a Nucks fan who doesn't fall in this category. 

I'm having a hard time understanding why I'm getting flamed so hard here by what appears to be fans who I'm not even talking about? 

FTR, I, too, believe prices are too high, but I also know that tickets can be had for much cheaper than some are describing on here because I've purchased them for uber cheap. 

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're arguing against yourself here. The corporate fanbase who is there during the good and gone during the bad is exactly the type of fanbase talking about, as well as lots of regular Joe fans who aren't corporate but still grieve every chance they get. For example, I was talking hockey with a cab driver recently who had nothing good to say about the nucks. He sounded like a Team 1040 sychophant, yet he didn't even know who Boeser or Pettersson are. These types don't make up the entire fanbase, but it's well known it makes up most, and it's embarrassing to be a Nucks fan who doesn't fall in this category. 

I'm having a hard time understanding why I'm getting flamed so hard here by what appears to be fans who I'm not even talking about? 

FTR, I, too, believe prices are too high, but I also know that tickets can be had for much cheaper than some are describing on here because I've purchased them for uber cheap. 

Maybe we are closer than I thought earlier.

i guess I just don't get bothered by what some people call fairweather fans....I mean the cabbie sits in his car all day and listens to team 1040....hence that's why you say he sounds like team 1040.

im just pointing out that there are multiple legit reasons why people have lost interest in the team and have done so over the years and how ownership and management has contributed to it in certain ways throughout the clubs history.

money is right for most people.  When it comes down to paying bills vs a luxury item....well..you better have a good product to justify purchase hangover guilt.:P

39 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Maybe we are closer than I thought earlier.

i guess I just don't get bothered by what some people call fairweather fans....I mean the cabbie sits in his car all day and listens to team 1040....hence that's why you say he sounds like team 1040.

im just pointing out that there are multiple legit reasons why people have lost interest in the team and have done so over the years and how ownership and management has contributed to it in certain ways throughout the clubs history.

money is right for most people.  When it comes down to paying bills vs a luxury item....well..you better have a good product to justify purchase hangover guilt.:P

I'm definitely only explaining one part of the equation. Of course I get flamed, tho, amiright?!

The problem I have with said fans is that they are the most vocal, and they also consequently drive our media to report bs "journalism", which has also arguably run very good players, coaches, etc. out if town before. 

We have a culture of grievance and, arguably, something that walks the line of bipolar. CDC is a perfect example. We've all read on here the threads/responses after a win and conversely after a loss. It's diplorable.

Surely I can't be the only one who sees/feels this? (Sorry for calling everyone Surely.)  

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm definitely only explaining one part of the equation. Of course I get flamed, tho, amiright?!

The problem I have with said fans is that they are the most vocal, and they also consequently drive our media to report bs "journalism", which has also arguably run very good players, coaches, etc. out if town before. 

We have a culture of grievance and, arguably, something that walks the line of bipolar. CDC is a perfect example. We've all read on here the threads/responses after a win and conversely after a loss. It's diplorable.

Surely I can't be the only one who sees/feels this? (Sorry for calling everyone Surely.)  

Often said.

but who?

not flaming my you.  Honestly interested in your stance.  I agree with you somewhat but I feel as though you are overstating.

comparatively we have seen other clubs fans in ultra strong markets throw the teams sweater on the ice and vocally boo the team....habs, leafs, oilers.

these are passionate hockey towns just like ours.  Fans vocalize....that's part of it all.  Montreal fans are notoriously harsh.  they can turn on anyone period by period.

this is the NHL.  These are NHL fans.  There are good and bad.  I don't see what makes Vancouvers fan base worse....maybe different but not any worse from a round the league perspective.

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Often said.

but who?

not flaming my you.  Honestly interested in your stance.  I agree with you somewhat but I feel as though you are overstating.

comparatively we have seen other clubs fans in ultra strong markets throw the teams sweater on the ice and vocally boo the team....habs, leafs, oilers.

these are passionate hockey towns just like ours.  Fans vocalize....that's part of it all.  Montreal fans are notoriously harsh.  they can turn on anyone period by period.

this is the NHL.  These are NHL fans.  There are good and bad.  I don't see what makes Vancouvers fan base worse....maybe different but not any worse from a round the league perspective.

Possibly overstating it a little, but one recent example is a CDC user who I was recently writing with... he called the Sedins embarrassing and thinks they're taking up space on the team. He wants them traded instead of letting them finish their careers here. Also, I hardly think Luongo enjoyed all the hate he received over the years. He wanted out of the goalie graveyard. 

Although I agree with you about other teams' fans, the difference is Habs fans, for a good example, still pack their stadium and cheer like it's going out of style. 

A fan base can still hold their team and management accountable without checking out and not showing up to games. 

The Canucks are serving fast food  hockey at restaurant prices..nobody is going to throw money away to sit in the lower bowl..

Maybe the 'corporates' have disassociated themselves with a losing product..

The Aqualinis have only themselves to blame for the empty seats..The 'lipstick on a pig ' era (the denial of a rebuild 3 years ago)..is biting them hard right now.

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Possibly overstating it a little, but one recent example is a CDC user who I was recently writing with... he called the Sedins embarrassing and thinks they're taking up space on the team. He wants them traded instead of letting them finish their careers here. Also, I hardly think Luongo enjoyed all the hate he received over the years. He wanted out of the goalie graveyard. 

Although I agree with you about other teams' fans, the difference is Habs fans, for a good example, still pack their stadium and cheer like it's going out of style. 

A fan base can still hold their team and management accountable without checking out and not showing up to games. 

I don't have much to rebut this other than using Montreal as the example I would wager there is simply a deeper tradition there.  Original six team.  Historic success.  And season ticket market that goes back a couple generations - rooted in families and not corporations.  Like it or not Vancouver is not there yet????

And yes.  Those calling for a knee jerk sedin trade don't have respect.  While I wouldn't be against a trade if it benefited each party, I'm more than ok with henrik and Daniel playing out their deserved contracts and hopefully either retiring or signing, together, with a contender.

Let's face it, the building is mostly filled by casual/bandwagon fans. Right now we suck, it's not "cool" to go to the game, so people don't go. Once it becomes cool again, people will show up.

As much as I dislike our current management group and the completely botched plan they've had for 3 years, I don't think attendance would be any different if we did the rebuild right from day 1. We'd still have an awful team, perhaps even worse than it is now, and that means the bandwagoners wouldn't show.

It's a fickle fan-base. There are reasons why Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto can fill the building even when the team sucks, but it won't work like that in Vancouver.

Lowering the prices would definitely help though. I don't go to many games whether we're good or not, but if the tickets were cheap, I'd definitely make it work.

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don't have much to rebut this other than using Montreal as the example I would wager there is simply a deeper tradition there.  Original six team.  Historic success.  And season ticket market that goes back a couple generations - rooted in families and not corporations.  Like it or not Vancouver is not there yet????

And yes.  Those calling for a knee jerk sedin trade don't have respect.  While I wouldn't be against a trade if it benefited each party, I'm more than ok with henrik and Daniel playing out their deserved contracts and hopefully either retiring or signing, together, with a contender.

I completely agree with you. And I'll go back to my comments that, in general, we have a culture of grievance, where a majority of "fans" will find faults in everything, while ignoring the positives. I mean, we were a contender for years and years, but we didn't win the cup, so for many that means we've been a failure, even during the high times. 

The reality with such a competitive league is that we are not going to win every year. We are lucky to even come as close as we did. And the reality is that good fans will support their team during the good and bad. Our organization has certainly made some bad choices and moves, but we are on the right track to being contenders again. I just find it disappointing when I read or hear fans complaining about the "awful" team (see comment above) we are seeing, when it's clear that our team isn't awful and is instead in a rebuilding process; a process that many have been calling for for some time. 

Let's ask this, how is it that some fans can see the positive direction we are on whereas others speak as tho we are horrible when trying to contend?

We are not trying to contend for the cup. We are drafting well, developing very well and properly, and playing games with veteran stop-gaps until our future core helps us one day contend again. Some see this and stay calm and supportive whereas others cry fowl and complain to no end. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I completely agree with you. And I'll go back to my comments that, in general, we have a culture of grievance, where a majority of "fans" will find faults in everything, while ignoring the positives. I mean, we were a contender for years and years, but we didn't win the cup, so for many that means we've been a failure, even during the high times. 

The reality with such a competitive league is that we are not going to win every year. We are lucky to even come as close as we did. And the reality is that good fans will support their team during the good and bad. Our organization has certainly made some bad choices and moves, but we are on the right track to being contenders again. I just find it disappointing when I read or hear fans complaining about the "awful" team (see comment above) we are seeing, when it's clear that our team isn't awful and is instead in a rebuilding process; a process that many have been calling for for some time. 

Let's ask this, how is it that some fans can see the positive direction we are on whereas others speak as tho we are horrible when trying to contend?

We are not trying to contend for the cup. We are drafting well, developing very well and properly, and playing games with veteran stop-gaps until our future core helps us one day contend again. Some see this and stay calm and supportive whereas others cry fowl and complain to no end. 

Sadly that's many people in general.

glad you're not one of them.

23 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Fan base:  "Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild!"

TL:  "We're rebuilding:

Fan base:  "Oh we're rebuilding, we'll wait to buy tickets until we're competitive again...."

Tickets are still pretty expensive for a pretty bad product. Lower the prices, sell more seats. You can argue about the price of beer, but the ticket prices don't really entice the regular fan to get off the couch and take the trek down to Rogers Arena.

Archived