The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks attendance hits lowest since 2001, fans are not buying tickets

DonaldBrashear

Just now, DonaldBrashear said:

Seriously though I think all 29 other arenas will sell out when the Penguins come to town. Even Carolina will probably sell out when the Penguins come to town. lol

The culmination of this team not being very good for 5 years, two years of the worst finishes in Canuck history, being told how good players NOT playing for the team MIGHT, signing huge contracts for players in the wrong role (Eriksson), essentially being lied to for 3 years (who is going to believe them now?), loss of credibility, ....

Maybe it is a plan though, maybe pretending to be really bad at running the team is just an act, maybe they really are planning to tank for another 3 years to really load up the prospect pool, who knows their history isn't inspiring though. 

6 minutes ago, Yotes said:

they also raise the prices for teams like pittsburgh. There should be not fluctuation in price for who the opposition is. If anything it should make it just a faster sell out thus hopefully leading to a louder better atmosphere. 

Maybe they haven't figured out that being sold out and having a waiting list is better than driving fans away with high prices for the better teams so they don't buy at all, those fans find the tube and can buy a six pack for the priced of a beer and have a cigar or a smoke and swear at the TV or find something else worth while to spend their dollars on.

They would be much better served to retain those fans, sell out and create demand, of course having a cup contending team would help or maybe a elite level player or three or just better management.

16 minutes ago, Yotes said:

they also raise the prices for teams like pittsburgh. There should be not fluctuation in price for who the opposition is. If anything it should make it just a faster sell out thus hopefully leading to a louder better atmosphere. 

Yes this game would easily be a sellout at normal prices, but they labeled this one a "MARQUEE" game and so ticket prices are doubled basically. Then they wonder why it doesn't sell out.......

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Yes this game would easily be a sellout at normal prices, but they labeled this one a "MARQUEE" game and so ticket prices are doubled basically. Then they wonder why it doesn't sell out.......

ya its sad. you would think they rake in enough $ from the overpriced food and alcohol already!

For me it's cost more than anything. Especially since I'm an islander (Victoria), which means ferry costs, hotel expense and restaurant. And Vancouver was in the top 3 most expensive places to live in Canada, and Victoria is not far behind. 

The ridiculous cost of living in BC is what prevents me from watching the Canucks live, but it also makes me think if I want to spend my hard earned money on not so cheap tickets to watch a rebuilding team. No thanks. I'll gladly watch at home. 

Fans have the final say on where they want to spend their money, and until this team starts getting competitive again, the management will have to deal with the low revenue! 

Edmonton, with their amazing arena and burgeoning young superstars has not been able to sellout since they opened their new arena and stopped playing in one that seats 3/4 the capacity of the rest of the league.

Calgary, despite having a playoff calibre team was not able to sell out this year or last, or the year before, or the year before. Yet again, these are amazing hockey markets full of passionate, great fans.

Vancouver ends a league leading sellout streak and the fans are awful subhuman garbage.

Stop with this narrative. I'm so sick of hearing members of this fanbase crap on how bad the fanbase is. Go cheer for someone else.

19 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

For me it's cost more than anything. Especially since I'm an islander (Victoria), which means ferry costs, hotel expense and restaurant. And Vancouver was in the top 3 most expensive places to live in Canada, and Victoria is not far behind. 

The ridiculous cost of living in BC is what prevents me from watching the Canucks live, but it also makes me think if I want to spend my hard earned money on not so cheap tickets to watch a rebuilding team. No thanks. I'll gladly watch at home. 

Fans have the final say on where they want to spend their money, and until this team starts getting competitive again, the management will have to deal with the low revenue! 

POST OF THE MONTH !   BRAVO!

I went to the Winnipeg game and was shocked and honestly a little disappointed at the number of empty seats, especially considering how cheap tickets were available on resale websites.

The atmosphere was very poor and it's sad considering how loud the building was for the game I was last at 14 years ago. It's been a steady decline in the last few years. I get that last year the product on the ice was awful so I can forgive it to an extent, but you should be there to support your team.

What was worse was the food prices. Almost $50 for a beer, three popcorn and three sodas is ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I went to the Winnipeg game and was shocked and honestly a little disappointed at the number of empty seats, especially considering how cheap tickets were available on resale websites.

The atmosphere was very poor and it's sad considering how loud the building was for the game I was last at 14 years ago. It's been a steady decline in the last few years. I get that last year the product on the ice was awful so I can forgive it to an extent, but you should be there to support your team.

What was worse was the food prices. Almost $50 for a beer, three popcorn and three sodas is ridiculous.

they have to come up with the $25,000,000 CDN they're paying to the Sedins and Eriksson somehow..... 

15 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Agree... ticket are sold for $20, so most people should be able to go to games...

Mind you Rogers is slowly starting to fill up again after the last few games. People like, what they are seeing...

This is why you'll never see Canucks tank on purpose. 

19 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The team stunk and so do a lot of Canuck fans, and prices are still high.  So it's not a surprise that seats are empty.  You're right, back in the day from my memory the crowds were more into it.  Even when the team was bad.

20 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Being the cheap azz myself, I try & go for the Costco $1.5 hot dog & drink before the game if the lineup there isn't toooo long. :P

It’ll take a while to undo what Willie did. With Travis deploying players that fans want to see in a more prominent role and enterianing style and winning fans will return.

Travis Trying to win will sells tickets, willies waiting to lose doesn’t.

Hockey is not unlike most major pro sports. As almost all TV venues are abandoned sports stood up the longest. Their coverage intensified and I believe fans overdosed and are now tuning out. Without doubt the cost is a major issue. The idea that Vegas paid north of $500 million for their team and that the NHL expects over $1 billion for another TO franchise is extraordinary. Huge built in costs.

Canucks are part of the picture described above. IMHO the overall knowledge of the game in Vancouver is weaker than many think. 

23 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

part of this game, was they made Winnipeg a regular PLUS game.  So it was much more expensive if you wanted to buy it from ticketmaster.  It was also priced too high to be able to sell it on NHL ticketexchange.  Many people still prefer to buy from either of those 2 places for safety.  Lots of people don't like to use stubhub or craigslist.

If Boeser continues to do better than even most hockey pundits expected, he'll draw fans back in. Nothing like a young scoring stud to drive fans back into the building.  I'd like to see attendance records the year before Pavel Bure played for us, and the year after his first fantastic year. It was the reason that I become a fan.

I'm a die hard Canucks fan and they'll absolutely get none of my hard earned dollars this year. Just because TL reluctantly used the term rebuild doesn't win me over, actions speak louder than words and since TL and JB have come in they've given me too many mixed messages as a fan and I hold the right to be angry. They're off to a decent start this year but I doubt it continues for the year although I could absolutely be wrong. While I love some moves this team makes others leave me absolutely dumbfounded. I feel like when your owner is as involved and "sport stupid", like Aquilini appears to be, it's as detrimental as anything 

On 2017-11-06 at 4:38 AM, spook007 said:

Agree... ticket are sold for $20, so most people should be able to go to games...

Mind you Rogers is slowly starting to fill up again after the last few games. People like, what they are seeing...

This is why you'll never see Canucks tank on purpose. 

I wouldn't mind watching a team with young guns, up and coming stars that are exciting, fast, and are moulding into the future core. Even if they lose 3/4 of the games you know eventually they will come around and hopefully start winning when all of the pieces are in place. What doesn't make me want to spend $ on a game is watching a team full of over priced, waiver fodder mummies that are over the hill and are still losing 1/2 to 3/4 of the games. These mummies keep us somewhat competitive but also leave us in no mans land (Not horrible, but not good enough to make the playoffs) Fans are going to games to watch Brock, Bo, Virtanen, and we need more of those young studs to come in hopefully as soon as next year. It wouldn't hurt for us to pick up a few more in the draft either especially with a few really good ones coming up. I realize tanking is not worth it esp because of the stupid lotto system but If we somehow drafted Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, I'd bet it be more entertaining even if the team loses, and it would give us some hope for the future. 

I would pay $ to watch a player like Matthews, McDavid, Bure, alone any day of the week until we are ready to contend again. I'm hoping Pettersson becomes one of those guys. 

21 hours ago, kilgore said:

If Boeser continues to do better than even most hockey pundits expected, he'll draw fans back in. Nothing like a young scoring stud to drive fans back into the building.  I'd like to see attendance records the year before Pavel Bure played for us, and the year after his first fantastic year. It was the reason that I become a fan.

That's awesome. He was the reason I became a Canucks fan too. I've been a fan since 1990 and will be until I die. I want us to be competitive again, and we have a few young guns coming up, but we just need more star power. I was born in Toronto, but I'm not a leafs fan. I do love watching Matthews though. I wish we had someone like that he just dazzles you whenever he's on the ice. A player like that gives you hope for the future and in the mean time he's a treat to watch. Watching a player like that develop is also amazing to see. I had the same feeling with Bure and not long after we drafted him we were in the final. I'm really hoping Pettersson becomes one of those guys for us. I've been following him even before we drafted him and was stoked that we picked him. We really need him to become a star and it wouldn't hurt to pick up a Dahlin, Svech, Zadina in the next draft. 

If hindsight is 20/20 ! The 2014/2015/2016 drafts redone . Not picking up some of the players Miller included in 2014 .We could have sufficiently restocked the cupboards with more elite talent than we now have on the ice currently. Those past draft years were the years to pluck players as above average draft years. This next draft has 6-10 Defense prospects .However it seems we will not be in the hunt for one of those  with our luck.as our forward depth is substantial an improved over last few seasons. JB had to offset what he did not get in those seasons starting last TDL an scramble to assemble some young prospects an talented overlooked players in past draft to restock prospect pool an farm.

Brock is one of the bright lights right now , sadly our blue line is way behind the forward retool .

I view fanstaying away as an expression of displeasure over what has transpired the past 4 or 5 years. It will be a slow an steady rebuild of the fan base over time.Coach Green is a huge start in the right direction. 

The marketing strategy needs a huge refresh an new look which may happen within next 24 months.

I hope they , management have got it right .

Archived