The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Thatcher Demko and Patrick Wiercioch

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Why does anyone fear something that has exactly zero evidence of happening? Seriously where is this coming from? From all I've heard out of Gudbranson he loves it here and wants to stay (as he should) so why bother worrying?

If you were Gudbranson and you had the opportunity to hit the open market at 26 years old, would you?

23 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What's your point? He signed for this year and then he is a ufa. No where does he say he hopes to be here long term because he just loves the Canucks.

Yeh read my post below. I apologized with no point.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If you were Gudbranson and you had the opportunity to hit the open market at 26 years old, would you?

Contrary to popular belief players don't just go to the highest bidder or to the team they've stayed with the longest. They pick a team for a multitude of reasons: transportation, quality of schools, job opportunities for their partner, quality of living, environmental friendliness, cost of living, closeness to family/friends etc. + a decent money offer. If Canucks offer him 4.5-5.5 he'll stay a Canuck and if they don't offer him that they're stupid to not to and will lose a huge player for us both now and in the future. Also he won't be getting 6+ on the free market even if he has an A+ season this year. Quote me on it if you like, but unless Canucks refuse to give him a fair offer he'll be staying a Canuck.

12 hours ago, billabong said:

Now why would canucks need all that cap space? 

Trading juolevi for duchene?! Please god no! Say it ain’t so!

It may not mean anything is imminent but more being business savvy and setting yourself up to receive maximum benefits in case anything does materialize. 

Excited to see what Wiercioch can bring to the table. Time to sit one of Hutton or Stecher, they've been our worst defencemen so far this season. Sure some more offence would be nice, but Hutton and Stecher haven't brought any and have been walked too many times already this season. Wiercioch may not be flash defensively, but he's got a cannon of a shot and can really hammer guys.

Having Gudbranson and Wiercioch on alternate pairings gives us a lot of physicality on the back end. 

As for Demko, doubt he gets an NHL start but I'm excited to see him put up Schneider-like AHL numbers this full season.

11 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

dude is gonna twitch his way to a last place finish at the olympics

I get you don't like the guy. But why stoop to criticizing a physical attribute of a former Nucks Coach? It's really degrading and reflects poorly on you.

20 hours ago, tas said:

when a player goes on ltir, the team gets extra capspace equal to that player's cap hit minus available cap space on the roster the day you assign him to ltir. 

so if the cap is $50 million but the team only has a cap number of $48 million and the players cap hit is $5 million, when the team outs that player on ltir they can spend up to $53 million (including that injured player). if you push your cap number up to $49.5 million before assigning him, you can spend up to $54.5 million. 

That's so confusing... I didn't comprehend tbh but gave a plus to fit in with the cool kids ::D

On October 23, 2017 at 3:52 PM, ArkDepot said:

Duchene will be 27 in a month or two i think. He's got the tools obviously but age wise I don't see him fitting in here long term, and that's a lot to give up for a guy who's not going to see the end up a "rebuild"

RNH and Sam Reinhart were also mentioned. Hutton's been in talks.... I'd be all over Reinhart if that was doable. He's from West Van and still only 21. 

Agreed, Reinhart I'd have no problem with but I doubt he is available.

2 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Agreed, Reinhart I'd have no problem with but I doubt he is available.

Bit of a rift there with the team. He was 5 minutes late for one practice because of a misunderstanding via text (allegedly) and they sat him for it. He wasn't happy and spoke about it publicly.
Say what you want about that but it's usually a situation where a player is really unhappy where he is for some reason.

And this is saying a LOT for a team that has Evander Kane 

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The real question is who is coming up to take that 23rd roster spot.

Gaunce. Canucks have been at 22 since the beginning of the road trip. Will be on the Canucks roster in less than 2 weeks. Only 4 games so probably no point of bringing someone up to sit in the box. 

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

Gaunce. Canucks have been at 22 since the beginning of the road trip. Will be on the Canucks roster in less than 2 weeks. Only 4 games so probably no point of bringing someone up to sit in the box. 

Pretty sure the Canucks were at 23 when Stetcher went down. and that is what created room to allow Demko to come up. I doubt they will play with Wiercioch and Chaput as their only possible injury fill-ins. I agree that Gaunce will likely come up after a conditioning stint but I would fully expect another body to come up in the interim.

11 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Wasn't he going to play some games on a conditioning stint in Utica first?

EDIT: Oh, I think I understand. You're saying that we won't bring anyone up until Gaunce is ready?

Archived