The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Property in Olympics?

Provost

It is the time when rumours are starting to float out about Olympic rosters (without NHLers or AHLers). 

We might oddly be in a position where our organization is much better respresented this time BECAUSE of the NHL impasse.  This could have been the year that the Sedins were passed over and that would have been sad.  Not sure of any other players who would have been considered.  Baertschi, maybe Vanek?

Will you all be watching for the Canucks connections?  

I was convinced I wouldn’t, but since so many of our guys are ripping it up in their respective leagues and may be involved it may be really interesting.

So far the reports suggest the following guys are in contention:

Gaudette may be playing for the US.

Petterson may be playing for Sweden

Juolivi May be playing for Finland 

Tryamkin may be playing for Russia

Not sure about any of our other prospects in College or Euro leagues.

Former Canucks like Mason Raymond, Ebbett, Vey, Barker also have a shot at playing.

I'll watch a bit probably, though it depends on how Canada compares to other teams. If we just look mediocre, I will very quickly lose interest. If we can at least be one of the top two or three teams, I might watch more closely.

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's going to be similar to the Spengler Cup.

Fine by me.  Canada has won the last two.

I'll be watching. In fact it will be more intriguing than usual where if we get a silver its the same as losing.  Its almost (almost) boring when we dominate so often. This time we will be challenged. If we lose out of the medals, no one will be shocked, but if we win...what a story! And it would seal it that we are truly the greatest hockey nation. That no matter the odds, we have the heart and desire. I'm looking forward to this Olympics hockey even more than usual.

I have no idea who's bright idea it was to hire Willie D though. There were other ex-coaches out there with more successful NHL history, working with adult professionals.

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Fine by me.  Canada has won the last two.

I'll be watching. In fact it will be more intriguing than usual where if we get a silver its the same as losing.  Its almost (almost) boring when we dominate so often. This time we will be challenged. If we lose out of the medals, no one will be shocked, but if we win...what a story! And it would seal it that we are truly the greatest hockey nation. That no matter the odds, we have the heart and desire. I'm looking forward to this Olympics hockey even more than usual.

I have no idea who's bright idea it was to hire Willie D though. There were other ex-coaches out there with more successful NHL history, working with adult professionals.

Can you name some ex canadian coaches that are more better than Willie D that isn't currently employed in the NHL/AHL/CHL. None come to my mind.

I was thinking the best way to get some excitement for the olympics.  Change it to a 3 on 3 tournament.

Sort of how the olympics does rugby.

They would need less players per team, so skill would still be high.  

Otherwise it really is the Spengler Cup.  

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'll watch a bit probably, though it depends on how Canada compares to other teams. If we just look mediocre, I will very quickly lose interest. If we can at least be one of the top two or three teams, I might watch more closely.

If the Canadians can finish top three it would be a huge success for them imo... Unfortunately w/o the best talent they have to offer being allowed to play i see a very very disappointing finish and would be surprised if they make it past the round robin... Back to the days of Russia (mainly), Sweden, Finland domination.

44 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

Can you name some ex canadian coaches that are more better than Willie D that isn't currently employed in the NHL/AHL/CHL. None come to my mind.

Darryl Sutter

Paul MacLean

Bob Hartley

Dale Hunter

Edit: Dale Hunter coaches the London Knights. But thats not to say he couldn't have been approached in the summer.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a hockey fan so I watch all hockey. (Junior, WHL, AHL, NHL, Olympics, etc.)

I also stand by & cheer my team win or lose especially my country in any Olympic event. 

I'll be watching. 

Like it or not, Gary Bettman is making a smart business move for the NHL. The Olympics really do nothing to further the NHL as a business and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA withdraw from the Olympics soon too.

I don't personally like it, obviously id like to see NHL players in the Olympics. But how can we EVER top 2010? Never NEVER NEVER!! Watching Canada win, in our hometown, in overtime, with our goalie in net, on home ice? No point ever trying to top that.  I also personally feel like the Olympics are dying. They definitely aren't what they used to be. I'm not sure this next generation of youth really gives a crap about Olympics or sports - they are more interested in "e sports" and video games. Let's face it, the Olympics is 95% boring sports and 5% actually exciting ones. Very few people actually care about most of the events.

I think Bettman knew that the Olympics needed the NHL more than the NHL needed the Olympics. He called their bluff, but the Olympics refused to concede and so you end up with this.

There’s talk that Darrin Archibald is being considered for the Canadian team. He’s on an AHL contract, and players on A contracts will be allowed to play in the Olympics.

if he makes team Cananda I will be rooting for him big time. He’s an original Utica Comet, and I’ve watched him for 4+ years grow into a very solid hockey player. 

40 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Like it or not, Gary Bettman is making a smart business move for the NHL. The Olympics really do nothing to further the NHL as a business and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA withdraw from the Olympics soon too.

I don't personally like it, obviously id like to see NHL players in the Olympics. But how can we EVER top 2010? Never NEVER NEVER!! Watching Canada win, in our hometown, in overtime, with our goalie in net, on home ice? No point ever trying to top that.  I also personally feel like the Olympics are dying. They definitely aren't what they used to be. I'm not sure this next generation of youth really gives a crap about Olympics or sports - they are more interested in "e sports" and video games. Let's face it, the Olympics is 95% boring sports and 5% actually exciting ones. Very few people actually care about most of the events.

I think Bettman knew that the Olympics needed the NHL more than the NHL needed the Olympics. He called their bluff, but the Olympics refused to concede and so you end up with this.

billions of viewers can lead to extra merchandise sales.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/287966/olympic-games-tv-viewership-worldwide/

Archived