The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vanek to Edmonton

Edmonton has expressed interest for goal scoring on the wing. Vaneks 4 goals would tie him with maroon for 3rd on the team, and he would be tied with lucic’s 6 points for 5th in the team. He plays the righ side which is what the oilers are lacking hard right now and could help their power play too. 

The question is, what can the Canucks get for him?

i’d love To aim big, and get a defensemen,  Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones, so I’d go:

To edm:

Vanek, 2018 3rd

To Van:

bear/Jones, 2018 5th

6 minutes ago, dayner said:

Just take the 4th for him and call it a day

No thank you. 

We're a playoff team and the Coilers aren't. Why help them?! 

I'd do Vanek (%50 retained) / Loui Eriksson for Lucic... they can take it or leave it. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Couldn't the Coil just have signed him this summer if they were interested? 

Oh yeah, they didn't think they were going to need him because they already had a spot in the finals locked up......LOL:lol:

Exactly. Their getting desperate now. Good opportunity to take advantage. 

I remember when the perennial winner Canucks would be out if the playoffs and struggling in October November and the the bottom of the barrel oilers would be high in the standings then December hits and its a complete flip. The ducks last season are another example. 

Canucks look good right now SELL high take advance of teams looking for a bump, if any vet is getting interest it should be explored. More teams think there playoff teams in November than in March. If gagner (unlikely)or vanek have suitors they should be sent on there way.

make way for gaunce goldie Rodin lebate. 

Gud should be cornered if he wants to stay then get a deal done if not then start shopping him.

I'd love Bear, so Vanek and a 4th for him would tickle my fancy honestly (Not helping a division rival for cheap). I don't see us selling as long as we have playoffs in hand. But with Gaunce looking to hopefully get back in the lineup, Jake looking like he's NHL caliber player, Boeser playing great. Not sure we want either of those 3 sitting much. It's hard to say what management would want to do. With Eriksson and Gaunce due back shortly we are running out of spots for the kids that look fit for the NHL. Don't want Jake or Boeser sitting. Gaunce can sit in the press box but I doubt they want 6 million dollar man in the press box. Maybe moving Vanek isn't such a bad thing right now. Also there is no real need to retain salary on Vanek. Edmonton has the cap don't they? It's 1mil for 1 year.

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd love Bear, so Vanek and a 4th for him would tickle my fancy honestly (Not helping a division rival for cheap). I don't see us selling as long as we have playoffs in hand. But with Gaunce looking to hopefully get back in the lineup, Jake looking like he's NHL caliber player, Boeser playing great. Not sure we want either of those 3 sitting much. It's hard to say what management would want to do. With Eriksson and Gaunce due back shortly we are running out of spots for the kids that look fit for the NHL. Don't want Jake or Boeser sitting. Gaunce can sit in the press box but I doubt they want 6 million dollar man in the press box. Maybe moving Vanek isn't such a bad thing right now. Also there is no real need to retain salary on Vanek. Edmonton has the cap don't they? It's 1mil for 1 year.

I think Vanek is 2 million for the year but yeah still super cheap for Edmonton. Since the McDavid contract doesn’t kick in till next year they have a lot of money to spend this year (like 8 mill or something). Honestly big miss by their management not to load up on 1 year vets like Vanek or jagr in the off season. But since we have a surplus (Goldobin can also fill in for Vanek if injuries creep back in again) I say we take advantage 

11 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I think Vanek is 2 million for the year but yeah still super cheap for Edmonton. Since the McDavid contract doesn’t kick in till next year they have a lot of money to spend this year (like 8 mill or something). Honestly big miss by their management not to load up on 1 year vets like Vanek or jagr in the off season. But since we have a surplus (Goldobin can also fill in for Vanek if injuries creep back in again) I say we take advantage 

Agreed, they really dropped the ball not snagging some 1 year contracts on some vets. Also really sucks that Eberle had such a underperforming playoffs. Really hurt his trade value. I want to blame management for not getting full value for a 50-60 point winger, but you have to assume that playoff run neutered his value. Hall trade was just bad too. Larsson filled a need for them, but Hall would have looked awfully good with McJesus or Draisaitl. Wonder if Benning would make room for Goldy if Johnson says he is ready. Or if he'll just leave it be until injuries pile up. 

11 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Vanek will be worth way more at TDL and I do not see a need to trade anyone right now unless it is for a major over payment

THIS.   Also, you don't want projects for him nor do you want to send a pick Edmonton's way.    If this happens with Oilers or any other team later in season, make it all about picks or prospects NOT current NHL players/projects.    

Archived