The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Los Angeles Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

I truly believe Evander Kane is going to sign here in the off season. There is no way Benning doesn't get it done. We need a top 6 power forward next year and this team will make playoffs. The kids will be 1 year older and more developed. 

Virt is a couple of years away from arriving. And he will take that much time to work his way up to top 6. THis will be a very good team with Kane on it. 20+ goals, physicality and can throw em when needed. And Virt one year older and more developed. In Two years with Petterson and Dahlen this is going to be a heck of a team. 

THis team is going to creep up on the league like NJD did. THat's the model right now. 

I don't want Benning trading for him, we aren't where you trade picks and prospects, that's when this team contends and you need finishing touch, like NSH trade 2 very good prospects in Turris trade. 

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

BurkeSad_reduced.gif

Burke_zps17db61bb.0.jpg

"Flashes of brilliance are fine if you're working in the

university, but they're not much good to people in

an NHL building."

- Brian Burke on Sven Baertchi, he continues:

"I'm not ready to quit on a young kid. I'm not ready to

throw him under the bus here today and rip him, but I

think you can tell from my comments that I see big

holes and I see a lack of commitment that's not going

to get him anywhere in my books."

So sweet to beat the Queens...   almost made up for the rest of the roadtrip.  :lol:

Decent game by Nilsson... after disastrous start he got his game going... was lucky though the Canucks were in Fight-Back mode.

I'm liking the new PP look... the Sedins don't have to shoot... (they won't most of the time) and can just pass.

Excellent game overall game by the Sedins both at even strength and on the PP, they started the push and got the first goal.

Nice follow through from the Killer B's... they dominated the second period.  And once again Boeser showed us why he will be a real scoring machine... that shot was a killer... not even Quick could hold onto it.... and Bo was there to pounce.

The defense continued the last few game's pattern a little shaky in the first period... but recovered to play well in the 2nd and 3rd.

Overall a good game to build on. 

I wanted to say something about Sedins/Eriksson line  Remember last year, it didn't work out so well?  I think it has to do with two things: Willie's system did not help the line to produce more offense and a lot of grinding along the board.  Green's system is different and produces more tempo and pace to the game, opening up a little bit and energize the line.  That's the first thing in my mind. 

After a slow start, the twins looked like themselves.  Which led me to another pondering, did the rest and playing with lower minutes at the start helped the Sedin?  I would say yes.  They are finding their legs and their game speed has increased a bit more and is actually crispier than the start of the season.   My guess is that they healed from their old injuries from whatever injury that were not disclosed publicly from a season ago or two seasons ago in that they were ineffectively slow.  Burrows went through injures and were playing slow and tentative and was given time and he was fully healed and he was effective for us last season.  Eriksson helped as well to make sure that the Sedin are having fun playing with Eriksson which were originally intended to have him here on this team.  The Sedin started to play better was last week at Calgary.  I remember the science if any type of injury, anytime you are healed, you are not 100% for a long while.  Sometimes it took a year or two to be 100% and getting back to themselves.  

So that's two things that I felt that might be the case, the coaching system and old injury concerning the Sedin.  We tend to think what's wrong with Sedin as their decline were evident to start and it's possibility that they might be having a bounce-back year once old ailment has cleared up.  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I truly believe Evander Kane is going to sign here in the off season. There is no way Benning doesn't get it done. We need a top 6 power forward next year and this team will make playoffs. The kids will be 1 year older and more developed. 

I don't think we'll win any bidding wars if it comes to that, but if Kane wants to come here that'd be cool. Buffalo has to be either signing him or trading him, just like us with Gudbranson. Maybe Kane likes where he's traded to? I agree with you though, we shouldn't trade for him.  

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I don't think we'll win any bidding wars if it comes to that, but if Kane wants to come here that'd be cool. Buffalo has to be either signing him or trading him, just like us with Gudbranson. Maybe Kane likes where he's traded to? I agree with you though, we shouldn't trade for him.  

Having Kane and Gudbranson? Damn.

1 hour ago, Apricot said:

I believed ;)

I've gone into this season with no "positive" expectations, I fully expected the Canucks to finish in the bottom 3 again...

I am pleasantly surprised by their record and when they pull off a victory like this one - I am very happy.

Quite different from being pissed off and complaining all the time.

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Burke_zps17db61bb.0.jpg

an NHL building."

I think it's fair to say that - and the same thing can be said about Goldobin, although with Goldobin it's more limited to a lack of engagement and battle in the 'other areas' while he maintains the upside he was gifted with.  He seems to have another level of confidence, that Baertschi needs to work to gain and sustain.  Goldobin - perhaps it's just a matter of committing to playing the grown up game, the right way.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with what Burke is saying there.  The evidence was clear when Baertschi arrived here - he was passive, he played cautious, he avoided the hard areas, his work ethic was lacking (at least his on-ice work ethic was lacking) - his game was weak.  He needed that 'transition' year under WD where he could slowly be brought along - but he was painful to watch and frustrating as hell.  Kudos to WD for reading it well, putting just the right pace on it - expecting more of him, making him work harder, while being patient with him - it paid off.

But team don't always have the same time or circumstances for those projects.  Our team was at a loss for prospects after a contention gap, some less than stellar drafting and development, and some bad luck as well.

I think Pouliot on the other hand had some untimely injury luck - and some tough circumstances (contending teams) to crack - usually behind the 8 ball to start seasons (injured, missing camp).   But I think the story on Pouliot was also somewhat misrepresentative.  Regardless, he's been solid since day 1.  Great to see.  He looks ready to seize his opportunity, he's still young, and he has an unreal toolbox.

13 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Benning has wanted him since WPG, he made a good offer then, He's also tried to get him out of BUF. 

I think he'll pay 7mill per year 8 years and get it done. Front load the contract a bit. This guy is about to hit his prime. I think Benning will try his best. I think he pbbly will get traded at TDL but he'll go UFA and explore his options.

I agree he might like where he is traded to. But he'll consider Benning's offer before signing anywhere. 

We have 30 mill cap space next year, around 20 mill will get our UFA's and RFA's signed. Give around 7 to KAne and we still have 3 mill to spare. 

21 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Burke_zps17db61bb.0.jpg

an NHL building."

WD constantly mocked those comments.  Again earlier this year he was telling their media that Baer had always been good defensively.  WD always said that it's his defensive game that kept him in the lineup.

In Portland Baer started a lot in the d-zone.  Johnston always talked about how he was good at both ends of the ice.  Portland is about how quickly they can steal the puck and move it up ice and Baer excelled in that system.  Oil Kings' coach Laxdal in the WHL 2012 finals was lamenting how he was just all over the ice - he talked as much about his defensive game as he did about his offensive game.

“When you break down Baertschi’s game, not only offensively but defensively, he’s outstanding.” said Laxdal. “He angles guys, he gets great body position. If the puck’s turned over in the offensive zone, he’s the first guy back.”
No argument from Portland coach Mike Johnston.
“He’s a good player both ways. He was our best player defensively in Game 4. His backcheck was outstanding which led to a lot of good transition opportunities,” said Johnston.

For Burke to claim that Baer suddenly gave up worrying about defence made no sense given how he was deployed in Portland.  Baer revealed earlier this year that they had never brought it up with him and it came totally out of the blue.  Then it was hunting season and he lost his confidence and his game.

2 minutes ago, gobi said:

Would it be an exaggeration if I say Pouliet will be our 2011 Errhoff?

Good example. But Pouliot is much younger. Ehrhoff was in his prime when he got here. Pouliot is 3 years away from hitting prime. 

This is a steal. He'll be hitting his prime right with the rest of the kids. Rebuild is going great. Just need to adding pieces and we're golden in 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Good example. But Pouliot is much younger. Ehrhoff was in his prime when he got here. Pouliot is 3 years away from hitting prime. 

This is a steal. He'll be hitting his prime right with the rest of the kids. Rebuild is going great. Just need to adding pieces and we're golden in 3 years. 

Yes, I realize Pouliet still has quite a ways to go before we can compare him to Errhoff but I do see the potential there.

The Canucks has been looking for that elite offensive dman for like forever. Hopefully Pouliet can eventually turn into something like that. 

Boeser is only rookie at 1 Pt per game pace. 14 games 5 goals, 9 assists for 14 Pts. 1 ppg and +1

Keller has 3 more points but also played 5 more games. He's at .89 ppg and -7

Nico Hischier is close and he's 2 years younger. 17 games 14 points. 

Archived