The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

lol JD Burke NOT A SOURCE

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

J.D. Burke is an absolute tool. He's bashed Gudbranson since he arrived. 

Truthfully I've never even heard of the guy before, I was just showing where this rumor originated. I think it started gaining steam from a thread on HFBoards.

Who even is JD Burke?

48 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I feel like I might be the only one that doesn’t see teams forking over first rounders for a player that bolted to Russia after being in Canada for less than a year. Sure he might come back but it’s all uncertainties at the moment. I just can’t see teams offering up the value in which I’d put to Tryamkins name. I’d rather hold his rights until I knew he won’t come back to Vancouver before I sold him discounted way too early.

Money. The guy will understandably want a good raise and a long term deal. Is he worth locking up for 4 or 5 years at around 5 mill per? It's questionable considering what he's shown.

4 hours ago, Mikey2Dope said:

Truthfully I've never even heard of the guy before, I was just showing where this rumor originated. I think it started gaining steam from a thread on HFBoards.

Who even is JD Burke?

He's a contributing editor on Canucks Army. He's all about analytics and consistently bashes players that don't fit in to that perfect stat window. 

Just now, TheHitman said:

If Gudbranson gets traded now I guess that means we really lost good pieces for nothing.

Absolutely because if he was traded, it would clearly be for nothing.  :rolleyes:

Best "I know they will get nothing in return if they trade him" post about a trade that isn't happening yet!

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Absolutely because if he was traded, it would clearly be for nothing.  :rolleyes:

Best "I know they will get nothing in return if they trade him" post about a trade that isn't happening yet!

It's going to be really hard to get equal value back for the two picks and Jared McCann we gave up to get Gudbranson...especially when Gudbranson has been injury prone and inconsistent during his stint with the Canucks.

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

It's going to be really hard to get equal value back for the two picks and Jared McCann we gave up to get Gudbranson...especially when Gudbranson has been injury prone and inconsistent during his stint with the Canucks.

You know this how?   Why does every single move need to be exactly equivalent?  Why does he need to be traded?

in any event, why assume the worst?

4 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

I don’t know what were trying to accomplish by trading guddy... he’s had bad luck with injuries since we got him but our best hockey this season was with him in the lineup.

oh well... hopefully we get something good back.

You can flip that around so many different ways, it really doesn't mean much. For example, we're currently in our worst stretch of the season, which saw no improvement with Gudbranson returning. Our best stretch of the season also included Horvat, Baerschi, Sutter and Tanev and a strong argument can be made that all 4 of those players have been more valuable to this team than Gudbranson.

The difference between Gudbranson and Hutton or Biega isn't much, they just bring different skill sets to the table. Hutton and Biega are both better puck movers. Hutton is our best dman on the PK when it comes to shot suppression. He can also play some PP. Biega is the best, most frequent hitter on our team. They'll both give you more offense than Guddy. Gudbranson is better at clearing the crease, can play physical and will fight occassionaly. 

If we can get a good future asset for Gudbranson, that's a trade we have to look at. We have too many defensemen and JB gas given no indication that he wants to lock Guddy up long term. So typically, where there's smoke, there's fire. 

2 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Ya, that Jared McCann is burning it up in the NHL.  Where could you replace a skill guy that is on pace for 25 points?

The players that were selected with those picks are also just killing it.

At the end of the day I just want to do what is best for our Canucks. Myself and others believe he can be part of this team long term and help bring a cup to Vancouver. If JB can make a deal that will make our team better now or in the near future then I trust him to do so. However, when people that don't see the value want us to trade him for almost nothing then really where is the logic in that? IMO you either run with Guddy or get fair value for him.  There is no other alternative. I believe in him and we all should as fans. Stop being glass half empty. If he is run out of the league in the next two years I will own it and buy his proven right detractors a $15 beer at the home opener following that season. And that cup I promise will be full.

3 hours ago, ohmy said:

At the end of the day I just want to do what is best for our Canucks. Myself and others believe he can be part of this team long term and help bring a cup to Vancouver. If JB can make a deal that will make our team better now or in the near future then I trust him to do so. However, when people that don't see the value want us to trade him for almost nothing then really where is the logic in that? IMO you either run with Guddy or get fair value for him.  There is no other alternative. I believe in him and we all should as fans. Stop being glass half empty. If he is run out of the league in the next two years I will own it and buy his proven right detractors a $15 beer at the home opener following that season. And that cup I promise will be full.

Fair value is subjective though. We can't expect an early 2nd and a player that was just drafted in the 1st round. The asset we traded for isn't as valuable as the asset we acquired. He's 1.5 years older, his game hasn't improved, he has a significant injury history, he's not being utilized like he was in Florida and he's about to become a UFA.

So what is fair value? You could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Especially for a player with a skillset like Gudbranson's. To some, he's worth his weight in gold. Others see him as a #5 and not a whole lot better than the guys he's competing against for ice time. 

To me, fair value is whatever the highest offer is. No one expected Burrows to net Dahlen. Maybe we luck out and someone overpays for Gudbranson. But if all we get offered is one of the two assets we traded for him (a recent 1st round pick or an early 2nd rounder), well then that's fair value too.

The market for a player like Gudbranson is hard to predict. Hopefully some GMs out there view Gudbranson in the same light as some of the posters on CDC. But if JB isn't prepared to pony up on a long term deal, then fair value is whatever we get offered. 

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

J.D. Burke is an absolute tool. He's bashed Gudbranson since he arrived. 

Absolutely.  A tool. 

And an absolute joke of an 'analyticz'  pretender.

Canucksmarmy should relinquish their fraudulent name - the Boy Scouts is far more appropriate.

Here's the latest from the tool, after a 5-2 handling of the Hawks - the tool has nothing but pathetic corzzzzi and whining about a meaningless last minute goal (in which Hutton was vacant - and tbh, struggled all night, but, but according to some analyticz kidz, is a top pairing blueliner, herpaderp).

"Not that he cares, but Gudbranson was a -7 shot attempt differential...."

Yeah, not that Gudbranson cares. 

What a chirpy little tool pretending to put drivel in Gudbranson's mouth. 

Who deletes tweets after he claims to have 'sources' informing him of a deal.....Very accountable.  The ironing of that failed shot attempt.

Gudbranson competes against the best players in the world.

JD Burke 'competes' with the E5s, the Eklunds, Gallaghers and B-otches - and wadr, commands no more respect.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Absolutely.  A tool. 

And an absolute joke of an 'analyticz'  pretender.

Canucksmarmy should relinquish their fraudulent name - the Boy Scouts is far more appropriate.

Here's the latest from the tool, after a 5-2 handling of the Hawks - the tool has nothing but pathetic corzzzzi and whining about a meaningless last minute goal (in which Hutton was vacant - and tbh, struggled all night, but, but according to some analyticz kidz, is a top pairing blueliner, herpaderp).

"Not that he cares, but Gudbranson was a -7 shot attempt differential...."

Yeah, not that Gudbranson cares.  What a chirpy little tool.  Who deletes tweets where he claims to have 'sources' informing him of a deal.....Very accountable.

What's the corzzi on that failed shot attempt?  

Not trying to start anything here but I'm just curious...there's a fairly large group of posters on CDC that can't stand CA, 1040 etc, I believe with you being one of them. So I'm just wondering, are there any members of the media that follow the Canucks and really put themselves out there (save for maybe Dan Murphy?) that you don't dispise?

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not trying to start anything here but I'm just curious...there's a fairly large group of posters on CDC that can't stand CA, 1040 etc, I believe with you being one of them. So I'm just wondering, are there any members of the media that follow the Canucks and really put themselves out there (save for maybe Dan Murphy?) that you don't dispise?

Not that I didn't get a laugh out of that disclaimer....or care that much if I appear to 'despise' certain media, but I'll humour you anyway because I think there is a history in Van that deserves credit.

I 'despise' far fewer than I appreciate - they just aren't the arrogant, flippant attention 'seekers' that CA and the Province are.

fwiw.

Call me old school but I have always loved the professionals - Don Taylor, Jim Robson, John Shorthouse, Paul Carson....

The landscape has taken a severe nosedive since the Page days.

John Garrett is the greatest colour / scribe in the game.

I'm not a fan of the Van Sun, but they're not pro-trolls, nor are they pretenders - MacIntyre, Zeimer - they're not bad, and at least inoffensive.

When it comes to the younger crowd there are some that I highly respect - less vocal, non-opportunist types like Aynsley Scott et al.

There's even an exception or two at CA that I don't dislike...

But when it comes to the JD Burkes (serious pretender), Botchford ('professional troll), Gallagher (miserable reanimated dinosaur) - I don't really value their noise any more than the Eklunds and Jack Edwards of the hockey world.  I'll take the Canucks over these negative cling-ons every time.

Interesting tidbit:

"Before the draft, the Panthers shipped out their former director of player personnel, Scott Luce. Newly anointed Panthers GM Tom Rowe said he “wanted a new voice.” (Luce has since landed with expansion Las Vegas, who look to be choosing a decidedly old-school approach to management.)"

Rowe added the 3rd CA import to his new age management group - not going to mince words - not a fan of Rowe either. at all..

When it comes to actually testing the 'analyticz'..... that decidedly 'old school approach' in Las Vegas happens to lead the Western Conference in their first season as an expansion team.....while the Florida Panthers took a rapid and dramatic nosedive....  Perhaps the JD Burkes have an axe-to-grind where their brethren are concerned, after the reversal of the coup against Tallon and the success of the ousted Galland, Luce....Lots of ground to make up to prove themselves in the wake of the arrogance of 'rebuilding' a 100+ pt team, wrecking a good thing, pretending to know so much better than the "old-school".

The 'new voice' has not sampled very well in Phoenix either - which is not to say it has no voice - but that it, like the old school, has it limits, and probably more, ironically.

I personally doubt Benning really cares that much about CA battle lines - it's not his fight - but CA has made no end of the attempt to mimic this dynamic in Vancouver, as if he's too simple and poor a GM to understand their 'advanced' statz.

Wadr, I don't think the new age has quite earned the succession - would much rather see a recognition and return to professionalism in the Van media,

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not that I didn't get a laugh out of that disclaimer....or care that much if I appear to 'despise' certain media, but I'll humour you anyway because I think there is a history in Van that deserves credit.

I 'despise' far fewer than I appreciate - they just aren't the arrogant, flippant attention 'seekers' that CA and the Province are.

Call me old school but I have always loved the professionals - Don Taylor, Jim Robson, John Shorthouse, Paul Carson....

The landscape has taken a severe nosedive since the Page days.

John Garrett is the greatest colour / scribe in the game.

I'm not a fan of the Van Sun, but they're not pro-trolls, nor are they pretenders - MacIntyre, Zeimer - they're not bad, and at least inoffensive.

When it comes to the younger crowd there are some that I highly respect - less vocal, non-opportunist types like Aynsley Scott et al.

There's even an exception or two at CA that I don't dislike...

But when it comes to the JD Burkes (serious pretender), Botchford ('professional troll), Gallagher (miserable reanimated dinosaur) - I don't really value their noise any more than the Eklunds and Jack Edwards of the hockey world.  In the case of the

fwiw.

Interesting tidbit:

"Before the draft, the Panthers shipped out their former director of player personnel, Scott Luce. Newly anointed Panthers GM Tom Rowe said he “wanted a new voice.” (Luce has since landed with expansion Las Vegas, who look to be choosing a decidedly old-school approach to management.)"

Rowe added the 3rd CA import to his new age management group - not going to mince words - not a fan of Rowe either.

When it comes to actually testing the 'analyticz'..... that decidedly 'old school approach' in LVegas happens to lead the Western Conference in their first season as an expansion team.....while the Florida Panthers took a rapid and dramatic nosedive....  Perhaps the JD Burkes have an axe-to-grind where their brethren are concerned, after the reversal of the coup against Tallon and the success of the ousted Galland, Luce....

The 'new voice' has not sampled very well in Phoenix either - which is not to say it has no voice - but that it, like the old school has it limits.

I personally doubt Benning really cares that much about CA battle lines - it's not his fight - but CA has made no end of the attempt to mimic this dynamic in Vancouver, as if he's too simple and poor a GM to understand their 'advanced' statz.

Wadr, I don't think the new age has quite earned the succession - would much rather see a recognition and return to professionalism in the Van media,

Pretty tragic that the panthers fell so hard in one year when they went to analytics. That was some Mike Keenan GM level scortched earth.

Phoenix hasn't improved at all under their young blood analytics crew. So many questionable moves, that one at the draft was a huge head shaker. The team is horrible and rebuilding so you trade your 8th overall pick and a former 1st rounder for 27 year old derek stephan's 6.5mil 4 year NTC boat anchor contract and a 28 year old backup. Could you imagine if Benning traded the Pettersson picķ for that return?

Analytics is nice to reference but if you are making hockey decisions based mostly on those instead of actual hockey sense you are in trouble.

Archived