The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There's an outstanding warrant out for a Benning... Jim

*Buzzsaw*

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I've said before Pouliot trade was a result of relationship JB and Rutherford have.

JB gave him Bonino who was a big factor in the last 2 Cups PIT won. Rutherford knew he won that trade hands down. Clendening didn't pan out so this is the make up for trade for that.  Rutherford made up for it back to JB in the form of Pouliot. 

Pouliot was going to be lost either way and Rutherford could have gotten an equal or better return but he knew he owed old Jimbo. 

Any proof of this or is this just your opinion?

THE PHENOMS

- Daniel and Henrik Sedin

THE ROOKIE SENSATION

- Boeser

THE YOUNG GUNS

Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Gaunce, Goldobin

THE MISFITS OF HIGH HOPES PAST (OUT TO PROVE THEY'RE STILL VERY GOOD AFTER BEING TRADED MORE THAN ONCE)

- Vanek, Gagner, Eriksson, Sutter, Burmistrov, Del Zotto

FORTIFICATION

- Markstrom, Nilsson, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

YOUNG MOBILE DEFENDERS

- Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot

FUTURE STARS

- Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko

Benning has assembled a nice looking team so far. He's a great drafter, but he's also made some nice trades to get Baertschi, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, and Pouliot.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Is this how HF boards reconcile Jim making a great move?  Rutherford was feeling sorry for him?

I call shennanegans.  You’re trolling.

It's amazing to me when people have so much invested in being negative that they actually come up with far fetched ideas like that. The words "I was wrong" are very hard for some to say, it's easier to believe a lie than say those 3 little words.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I'm almost certain that someone like Sekeres broke this "trade" on 1040 the year Kesler was on the block at the trade deadline. I think he announced that Kesler had been traded for Pouliot. 

How Pouliot came to us for so cheap?  Weren’t other teams interested in him too?  

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

No worries Buzz.

They're not theft if he paid for them.

And if you listened to tank or whinge nation, he paid too much.

Ermagerd, Shink was our best prospect.

Ermagerd, why is he trading pickz in a rebuild?

Bennig needzda stop it with these failed castoff projectz!

StockpieL tha pickz.  Whyzee tradin' that 4th?

Ermagerd.... :lol:

Also gotta give Jimbo credit for our goaltending situation as well. Bringing Nilsson was a very calculated move... and he was the one that re-signed Marky too.

12 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If you're going to play this game...  There's also a warrant out for his arrest for Stupidity Causing Greivous Harm for choosing Virtanen 6th overall!

Rather have JV than '18 year old' or MDC....

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Is this how HF boards reconcile Jim making a great move?  Rutherford was feeling sorry for him?

A formal declaration of Shenanigans has been called!!

@WHL rocks how do you respond to this?

Just so you know your options:

If Shenanigans are denied the next step is to have the two of you enter into a caged arena (thunderdome) and fight to the death in a trial by combat.

If Shenanigans are admitted to the next step is a public beeting to death. (As in everyone gets to throw beets at him until he is pronounced dead by the overseeing physician - starting with the children) 

Everyone please remember that given the serious nature and ramifications of Shenanigans everyone should be presumed innocent of Shenanigans until proven guilty. The onus is on @ilduce39 in this case to either beat him in the thunderdome or provide absolute irrefutable proof of Shenanigans. 

I think the two greatest swindles of the Benning era have been drafting Demko in the second round and trading an aging Burrows for Dahlen.

Neither of which have suited up for the Canucks to this point. Exciting times ahead.
Pouliot can be entered into conversation now, too.

Jim has made some blunders, most of which are excusable (and well-intentioned). Forsling would be nice right now. Nylander would look pretty sweet with Pettersson and Dahlen... oh well. Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood as later selections make up for it IMO.

And for all the HYPE Brock is getting right now, just remember which GM flew out to watch his games in Waterloo that year. That pick/player represents Benning as a General Manager better than anything to date.

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

A formal declaration of Shenanigans has been called!!

@WHL rocks how do you respond to this?

Just so you know your options:

If Shenanigans are denied the next step is to have the two of you enter into a caged arena (thunderdome) and fight to the death in a trial by combat.

If Shenanigans are admitted to the next step is a public beeting to death. (As in everyone gets to throw beets at him until he is pronounced dead by the overseeing physician - starting with the children) 

Everyone please remember that given the serious nature and ramifications of Shenanigans everyone should be presumed innocent of Shenanigans until proven guilty. The onus is on @ilduce39 in this case to either beat him in the thunderdome or provide absolute irrefutable proof of Shenanigans. 

Couldn’t he respond with a “Triple Dog Dare” and (according to the rules etiquette ) avoid the beeting?

Just now, Alflives said:

Couldn’t he respond with a “Triple Dog Dare” and (according to the rules etiquette ) avoid the beeting?

According to the Geneva Shenanigans Accord of 1946 the "Triple Dog Dare" clause can only be issued if the accused party is under the age of majority in their country at the time of the alleged Shenanigans. Though in article 56 subsection 21b of the Geneva Accord it is possible to avoid the standard beeting penalty by walking through the streets naked while being harassed and shamed by the masses known as "Shenanigan Shame"

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

What? Why don't you go to HF and check how would I know. I only give my opinion. 

Relationships are everything in business and especially in hockey. GMs do this stuff all the time to foster good relations. 

Remember when Bieksa was going to SJS but there was confusion over which year the 2nd would come back to Canucks? THe deal fell apart and SJS gave Canucks a 7th rounder. This is how things work. There is a reason Rutherford has 3 Cups as GM. 

I'm starting to get sick of these boards. Any thoughtful post is considered trolling. Ridiculous. 

Im putting you on ignore list for claiming I made troll post. Clearly we are on different levels of thinking. No point in getting each other's way. 

1 hour ago, PuckFather said:

Hindsight 20/20...........

But, it's not hindsight!  Go look up Virtanen's career-stats (pre-draft).  You'll notice that he was only a decent hockey player for like 1.5 seasons - whereas, Ehlers/Nylander were good their entire careers.

Even the years that Virtanen looked good - he wasn't particularly.  When he scored 39 points in 39 games in midget - he was only the 24th leading scorer!  The one good year he had in the WHL - he was the 35th leading scorer (and was a distant 3rd on his team).

When you have a top-6 pick, you should be taking someone who was dominant their entire careers and WASN'T only the 3rd best player on their junior team.  You should be getting (by far) the best player on the team.  It's not the least bit surprising that JV kinda sucks now.  He's never been that good.  Ever.  Players who've never dominated - don't tend to start dominating in the NHL...

5 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

But, it's not hindsight!  Go look up Virtanen's career-stats (pre-draft).  You'll notice that he was only a decent hockey player for like 1.5 seasons - whereas, Ehlers/Nylander were good their entire careers.

Even the years that Virtanen looked good - he wasn't particularly.  When he scored 39 points in 39 games in midget - he was only the 24th leading scorer!  The one good year he had in the WHL - he was the 35th leading scorer (and was a distant 3rd on his team).

When you have a top-6 pick, you should be taking someone who was dominant their entire careers and WASN'T only the 3rd best player on their junior team.  You should be getting (by far) the best player on the team.  It's not the least bit surprising that JV kinda sucks now.  He's never been that good.  Ever.  Players who've never dominated - don't tend to start dominating in the NHL...

The verdict is still out on Jake, he is 21 years old ffs. 

And if this is your only gripe with JB, well, I think I'll leave it at that.

9 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

This is not remotely true... and I was someone who wanted the Canucks to draft Nylander and thought it was painfully obvious that Nylander was the better pick. That said.... you're cherry-picking stats. He scored 39 points in 39 games as one of the youngest players out there.

He was drafted first overall in the WHL entry draft FFS. Stop making up a background story that has no factual basis. Should the Canucks have taken Nylander over Virtanen? Yes. Was there sufficient evidence at the time of the draft to know this? Yes. Was JV "only a decent hockey player for like 1.5 seasons"? No. That's some dumb talk right there. He had very good tournaments at both the U17 and U18 and at the WCC-16. In fact, regarding the latter, nobody scored as many goals as JV did in the history of that tournament.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

This is not remotely true... and I was someone who wanted the Canucks to draft Nylander and thought it was painfully obvious that Nylander was the better pick. That said.... you're cherry-picking stats. He scored 39 points in 39 games as one of the youngest players out there.

He was drafted first overall in the WHL entry draft FFS. Stop making up a background story that has no factual basis. Should the Canucks have taken Nylander over Virtanen? Yes. Was there sufficient evidence at the time of the draft to know this? Yes. Was JV "only a decent hockey player for like 1.5 seasons"? No. That's some dumb talk right there. He had very good tournaments at both the U17 and U18 and at the WCC-16. In fact, regarding the latter, nobody scored as many goals as JV did in the history of that tournament.

Good response.  Id also like to add that if he was never really that good, and it was so obvious, all these scouts/agencies would not have ranked him in the top 10-12..I mean...were these guys all so out to lunch and missing the obvious facts?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Any reference to one of the greatest movies of all time deserves a 'cold one'.

Cheers.

You finally lit the leg lamp.

Archived