The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unrest in Iran

CBH1926

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Well, your writing reminds me of quatrains, I feel I need Pythia to help me decipher it.

I was thinking to add(last post) but you've already replied. It may have come across as cheeky, & I'm busy looking for humour in so much of today's bleak news.

Have no desire for endless p*$$ing contests with various posters on matters like these. Our opinions won't change what's to occur; & I'll simply get back to hoping humanity can sort itself, before it's too late. My strong, underlying feeling(on these topics), is that it's arrogance, hubris(& media-disinformation) on all our behalves, if we believe the west can intervene to improve upon things. Based on our recent conduct(globally), that ship has sailed, & sunk.

Lastly, I'll wish you & yours a HNY & peaceful 2018. I'm glad you raised this matter with a thread.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well they say it's written by the winners. Who've declared a lot of that is fake. Let's not be too hard on ourselves, if all is not as transparent as we'd like.

From that part of the world(regionally) agreements have recently been revealed, that were covered for decades. If anyone(including yourself) wants to speak in absolutes, implying they know the whole story, it's all entitled.

Arrogance amongst the west, is a theme that reemerges frequently.

Would really prefer you put my name on your ignore list..pls & thanks :^)

So....

"I don't really know anything about the situation... but... <conspiracy theory>.... and unless you know for sure and know everything... then <conspiracy theory>"

Come on man... that's a really bad argument... and the history of Iran over the last 50 years is interesting enough without having to resort to making stuff up to suit a narrative you've decided on being true before you've really read anything...

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

^Oh gee..haven't we heard this spiel before, about other nations in that region? D'ya see a pattern, by chance?

WHICH nation, pray tell..should serve as a "shining beacon" for these global laggards to model themselves after? If you chose 'E'..none of the above, give yerself a cookie!

Gee, I wonder who doesn't own the Central Bank in Iran? Hmmmmm

Not that it's any of my business, but there's been a distictly odd pattern forming in the last few decades. (By odd I mean totally obvious and predictable.)

"Follow the money"... That's what they say, right?

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

No system is perfect in my opinion, there are good and bad things in all systems.

But if you think that Scandinavia, Japan, Canada etc. can be compared to Saudi Arabia, Iran etc.

I think you have start hitting the New Years booze little too soon my friend.

Might not be too long until we can compare Scandinavia to Saudi Arabia ;)

Also wasn't too long ago we could compare Japan to Iran...

As an interesting aside note - I HIGHLY recommend anyone here who knows an Iranian, to have a conversation with them about why the originally moved to Canada and what they think is going on with these protests and what they hope will happen... it's really interesting stuff

14 minutes ago, Dral said:

So....

"I don't really know anything about the situation... but... <conspiracy theory>.... and unless you know for sure and know everything... then <conspiracy theory>"

Come on man... that's a really bad argument... and the history of Iran over the last 50 years is interesting enough without having to resort to making stuff up to suit a narrative you've decided on being true before you've really read anything...

That (conspiracy theorist) shyte was a catch-phrase supposedly first dredged up in the 60's(CIA?) to silence any who didn't accept official narratives. With issues like JFK, a nation of guns, prisons & lawyers has to quell dissidents, or folks who'd simply rather "think for themselves"(thanks Gerald Celente)

You need new material, man. The world's tired of that cliched, dubious(catch-all) crap. Or perhaps you were one all excited about things like WMD?

..."A bad argument..."etc

You'd best speak for yourself. Wasn't arguing. Simply stated the 'west' (twb..US, Israel, UK, Nato, yada, yada) has meddled in far more places than they should have. If anyone begs to differ with that statement, that's their biz. Don't really care.

John Pilger is another BRILLIANT journalist, who I'll gladly allow to speak for my own political views.

"The War We Don't See" on his site?(JohnPilger.com) should be required viewing for ALL YOUTH of all OECD nations..if I had my way.

If it were truly "democracy". More inquiring young minds would wonder/ask what's been/being done in our name.

***This is the last I'll post on this*** Feel free to reply, in kind

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

I don't know man, I see Iran as being unique compared to the rest of the region. It's not the citizens fault that their revolt resulted in an even worse regime than they originally had back in 1979. 

you would find very few people in Iran who would agree that the current regime is worse than the Shah.   

Whatever your views/opinion on Western-meddling back in the days leading up to 1979..... it's 2018 now, 39 years already.  The whole "it's 'Murica's fault" mantra is getting old.  

Iran certainly never did itself any favours in the last 4 decades.... over-reliant on oil, supporting terrorist organization, weapons programs and fight proxy-wars with neighbours.... and Iran isn't a rich country either.  

So now their country is in the dumps, running out of money internally and externally.   A theocracy has no place in the modern world and these recent protest could be the symptoms of it.  Faith can only go so far.... no work, no money, and no future.... that's how revolutions starts.  The quicker the regime falls, the better... assuming the ones who takes power aren't even more crazy.  

Looks like everyone on this thread needs a history lesson.

Everyone on this thread got the "meddling of the US" wrong.   The meddling of the US  was not during the 1979 revolution but during the 1953 US led Coup that overthrew the Iranian Prime Minister because they believed he was a Communist.  The US then re-installed the Shah of Iran.

The Shah of Iran wanted to Westernized his country but was horrible in suppressing human rights.  He was a dictator who tortured and put in prison opponents of his regime.   The US backed the Shah of Iran until he was overthrown by the Islamic Revolution in 1979.  

If anything,  the US under President Jimmy Carter undermined the Shah of Iran by criticizing his government for human abuses, thus inadvertently emboldening the opposition which led to the Islamist Revolution.

It should also be noted the Shah of Iran was so hated by the Iranians, most celebrated the overthrow of the Shaw.   Intellectuals,  liberals, the left,  the working class and others initially supported the Islamist Revolution that replaced the Shah.  But it quickly turned out the Islamists were no better than the Shah and turned out to be worse in many aspects, especially when it came to social life.  Life under the Shah had become westernized and women had far more rights under the Shah than the Islamist government. 

12 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah....you really don't know history

9 hours ago, Dral said:

So....

How about starting by simply looking up Mohammad Mosaddegh, then Soros' attempts just a few years ago to instill yet another "colour revolution" there?

10 hours ago, DonLever said:

Looks like everyone on this thread needs a history lesson.

Everyone on this thread got the "meddling of the US" wrong.   The meddling of the US  was not during the 1979 revolution but during the 1953 US led Coup that overthrew the Iranian Prime Minister because they believed he was a Communist.  The US then re-installed the Shah of Iran.

The Shah of Iran wanted to Westernized his country but was horrible in suppressing human rights.  He was a dictator who tortured and put in prison opponents of his regime.   The US backed the Shah of Iran until he was overthrown by the Islamic Revolution in 1979.  

If anything,  the US under President Jimmy Carter undermined the Shah of Iran by criticizing his government for human abuses, thus inadvertently emboldening the opposition which led to the Islamist Revolution.

It should also be noted the Shah of Iran was so hated by the Iranians, most celebrated the overthrow of the Shaw.   Intellectuals,  liberals, the left,  the working class and others initially supported the Islamist Revolution that replaced the Shah.  But it quickly turned out the Islamists were no better than the Shah and turned out to be worse in many aspects, especially when it came to social life.  Life under the Shah had become westernized and women had far more rights under the Shah than the Islamist government. 

This is very close to correct. There are a few other complex pieces (Israel etc) but this is succinct. 

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Let them run their country how they want. It's up to their people to decide what happens. The last thing anybody needs is the US sticking their nose in other peoples business because they've demonstrated far too often that they only &^@# things up even worse.

Just so long as the Iranians have oil under their feet, the dogs of political unrest and war will be circling.  

1 hour ago, logic said:

People act like if the US wasn't over  there 'influencing' that Russia or China wouldn't be in there doing the same... pretty easy answer to who you would like over there out of the three.

They are doing it. They are supporting the current regime through weapons etc. The US has just taken the people's position on this battle as it suits their agenda more. 

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

They are doing it. They are supporting the current regime through weapons etc. The US has just taken the people's position on this battle as it suits their agenda more. 

That is my point, China and Russia will be there regardless, better to have the US there than not.

people love to blame the US and act like they're the bad guy, but when a country needs aid or military support the tone sure changes real quick

Archived