The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons Heirs Cut Paid Breaks and Benefits After Minimum Wage Hike

nucklehead

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Living wage doesn't mean buying a house, car, etc. It means having enough money to live a basic life, like paying rent, buying groceries, etc.

Inflation rises each year, yet wages do not, so every year wages don't increase to match inflation, employees make less money, which makes it even harder to live. We need wages to increase at all levels to at least match inflation every year. 

And I know this may be difficult for some people to understand, but not everyone has the privilege of living at home while they get an education. For some people, a minimum wage job is all they have, and all they will ever have. 

There is no-one on earth who owes you that.  If all wages increase without a commensurate increase in productivity, you simply create a general rise in prices (inflation) and no-one is further ahead.  In fact, inflation causes a reduction in capital, and therefore investment, which reduces the number and value of future jobs. 

For or people to earn more, they have to make themselves worth more in economic terms - either that, or the ‘shortfall’ has to be taken from someone else.  Why should that third party be made a victim?  If you can’t make enough in one job, take a second, and while you are at it, get educated.  It is what many people have had to do.  There is little in life that is free except the air that you breathe, somebody had to make everything, and it is not right that somebody unwilling to work should be having a proxy (the goverment) going around stealing from those who do, on your behalf.

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is no-one on earth who owes you that.  If all wages increase without a commensurate increase in productivity, you simply create a general rise in prices (inflation) and no-one is further ahead.  In fact, inflation causes a reduction in capital, and therefore investment, which reduces the number and value of future jobs. 

For or people to earn more, they have to make themselves worth more in economic terms - either that, or the ‘shortfall’ has to be taken from someone else.  Why should that third party be made a victim?  If you can’t make enough in one job, take a second, and while you are at it, get educated.  It is what many people have had to do.  There is little in life that is free except the air that you breathe, somebody had to make everything, and it is not right that somebody unwilling to work should be having a proxy (the goverment) going around stealing from those who do, on your behalf.

You talk like someone who has more then just a basic understanding of economics ;)

Here's the thing, I'm pretty sure just about EVERYONE here wants themselves and their neighbors and their society, their country to be making more money, to be making a "living wage", $30, $40 bucks an hour...  we're just arguing over how to better achieve that goal.

People who argue against minimum wage aren't doing so because they are greedy and want others to suffer, they do it because there is real world evidence that even though the intentions are good, it ends up hurting much much more then it helps.

That $40/hr job is going to take a lot of time, education, experience and hard work to achieve... lets make it easier to do, not harder

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Any business that relies on exploiting young people,  those with poor language skills,  foreign worker brought in with no rights....   hard up seniors    is a business that maybe is not viable and should close.  As customers switch to competitors that are better managed..... these better run business will in turn expand and create more positions. 

Exploiting them?

by giving them a job?  

Jesus man.    

The unpaid breaks aren't much of an issue. It offsets a small portion of the raise, but the employees are still much better off then they were last week.

However, the part of the story I take issue with is this:

"These changes are due to the increase of wages to $14.00 minimum wage on January 1, 2018, then $15.00 per hour on January 1, 2019, as well as the lack of assistance and financial help from our Head Office and from the Government."

Tim Hortons is a monstrous corporation, that has been making money hand-over-fist for decades. They have also put a lot of smaller competitors out of business. So why the hell should the Government offer them financial assistance?

Re-friggin-diculous.

The responses here are pretty sickening.  Let's see you say the same tune when your asked to do more work for less, while the people at the top make even more money.  We should be standing up for those that need the help, not condemning them saying "don't like it, get another job you uneducated moron".

6 hours ago, Dral said:

And I don't think that just because I did it means that everyone else should do it as well

So if you actually understand basic economics, why do you think flipping burgers and pouring coffee is worth $15/hr ? Because there's not really sound economics arguments to justify it... there are some really good emotional and ethical arguments, but they tend to break down in the real world outside of philosophy class...

Well you did say as much when you stated what you did when you were unhappy making $10/hr. The "imply and then backtrack" argumentative style is pretty transparent and doesn't help an argument - well, transparent for those who have studied philosophy, anyways.  

There is lots of evidence - outside of emotional, and ethical - out there that increasing minimum wage to a living wage is actually good for fueling the economy from the bottom up. A simple Google search provides some quick examples, if you're interested.

There's always going to be blowback when minimum wage increases, but how do you think we'd be as an economy if we never increased it to keep up with increasing standards of living? Should we still be at $5/hr? $8.20? $10? What's the magic cutoff?

Will Jobs be lost? Yes. No one would (or should) argue against that. Will the economy be better off in the long run? Most economists will say yes.

The debate should not be on whether it gets increased but rather how quickly it should increase in order to soften the initial effects.

Lastly, just look at northern communities where the standard of living is much higher than the rest of the country. Why do you think they pay burger flippers much higher than burger flippers in other communities? 

7 hours ago, Dral said:

So if you actually understand basic economics, why do you think flipping burgers and pouring coffee is worth $15/hr ? Because there's not really sound economics arguments to justify it... there are some really good emotional and ethical arguments, but they tend to break down in the real world outside of philosophy class...

I guess Australia didn't get the memo, a high minimum wage works just fine for them. 

11 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Why is this even a story?  

Most jobs don't pay lunch breaks.  

Most you are there for 8.5 and get paid for 8.  

Media just trying to stir stuff up. 

Because highly profitable business owners are taking away from their employees, to get back at government legislation, to ensure their coffers remain just as bloated as ever.

How dare people want to be able to sit down during a shift and be paid for their time.

How dare they want their lunches covered.  Their breaks covered.

What next, sick days, paternity and bereavement leave?  A 40 hour work week with benefits and a pension no doubt.

This is garbage, screw these people we can replace them with TFW's from India, the Philippines or China who will do it for less; that will teach these losers.

It is not up to business owners and millionaires/billionaires and corporate entities to take care of these people who can easily be replaced.  They have a duty to their franchise or shareholders and NOT to the people who helped actually create the empire they run.  They only had 3 years to get their plan together for the increase in wages.  That's barely enough time to enjoy a cup of Tims

This is crap, screw the Liberals and the NDP and their worker friendly laws and screw these losers who have no other recourse in a small town with a depressed economy for wanting to simply be paid for their day and their time, 

9 hours ago, Dral said:

I also don't really understand this hype about "living wage"... flipping burgers and pouring coffee are not jobs that should be paying a wage where someone can afford to make mortgage payments, car payments and raise kids on... it's a job that young people living at home should have while getting an education (either through work or school) in order to turn themselves into productive, valuable members of society who are worth being paid $20, $30 or more an hour in other jobs...

a "living wage" isn't a basic human right... there's no slip of paper you are handed when you are born that says you deserve and are owed by society to work any job you want, however hard at it you want, and still be able to afford a house...

A living wage should be a right . 

A living wage does not allow for a mortgage.  

A living wage allows you to pay rent ( and it expects you to have  a roomate ).

Do you really think employers should be able to exploit needy people in our society and pay them such a low wage that their workers need to sleep on the streets..... and go to the foodbank ?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

How dare people want to be able to sit down during a shift and be paid for their time.

How dare they want their lunches covered.  Their breaks covered.

What next, sick days, paternity and bereavement leave?  A 40 hour work week with benefits and a pension no doubt.

This is garbage, screw these people we can replace them with TFW's from India, the Philippines or China who will do it for less; that will teach these losers.

Canada seems to be changing so much for the worse.....    I remember when i was young,  Canadians seemed so proud to be unique for North Americans in regards to our compassion for our fellow citizens....  

Canadians lost the plot - lost our way. Sad to see. 

13 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Why is this even a story?  

Most jobs don't pay lunch breaks.  

Most you are there for 8.5 and get paid for 8.  

Media just trying to stir stuff up. 

Of which most people get about 2 hours worth of actual work done.

tops.

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If people need to pay an extra 25 cents for their coffee so that the person working there gets a living wage then so be it.

Greed is really killing our country.   Take a look around town at all the people really hurting ....  If i have to pay a bit more for my coffee or burger....  no big deal.

nice that you are able and willing to do that

i am not a timmy's customer.. except occasionally

but price increases will likely persuade me to not go out for a coffee or bite (to a non timmy place)

and i'll just pack my own, make my own

i think that is what these enterprises are worried about

is the percentage of people who will stop becoming customers because the increase just to be served a ready made coffee

stops making sense at some point when you can make your own at fraction of that price

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

The unpaid breaks aren't much of an issue. It offsets a small portion of the raise, but the employees are still much better off then they were last week.

However, the part of the story I take issue with is this:

Tim Hortons is a monstrous corporation, that has been making money hand-over-fist for decades. They have also put a lot of smaller competitors out of business. So why the hell should the Government offer them financial assistance?

Re-friggin-diculous.

Amen.

Archived