The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sweden vs. Canada | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2017 | 5:00 PM PT

I've no problem with him throwing the medal tbh, the dude wants to win. Does him throwing the medal and the others not following suit mean he wants to win more or they want to win less? Of course not, but that was his individual burst of frustration/disappointment/ect and that's fine.

Should he have done it as the captain? Maybe not. But who am I to judge? As a Canadian I'm not gonna understand the frustration of losing to Canada over and over.

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

meh.  I think people are making way too much of it.

I remember Vietnam veterans throwing their war medals away.  They were theirs to throw away - they earned them - they didn't have to want them.

It was really not for anyone else to say how they should have felt about them.

Andersson is an 18 yr old whose team just lost their 6th straight gold medal game to Canada.  If Swedes want to feel embarrassed by his actions, that's their prerogative, but this has nothing to do with disrespecting Canada, and if a Canadian captain did that, he'd probably be promptly understood.

Easy for Canadians to sit back and judge their frustration - but no irony in that - at all - no one plays the "nothing but gold is good enough" song louder than Canadians.

Well said.  It's a public way of saying "silver isn't good enough".  Was it the best way of saying so?  Maybe not.  We woldn't be planning a parade if we'd won silver though.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

We scored with 100 seconds left... how exactly did this disappoint? Maybe you just have unreal expectations. This isnt miracle or star wars.  Disney doesmt direct real life.

The result isn't the disappointment.

Thankfully Canada scored an actual 5 on 5 goal to win that game - nothing to take away from the players - but even that doesn't change the fact that the game was devolved by trigger happy officials from the potential epic track meet we all wanted to see - into a fn special teams showdown.

Got a great look at the Swedish penalty kill though.  Woot woot.

Disney, Star Wars - whatever - I don't want to see the WWF either.

If you're looking at it simply through the lens of a Canadian result, then no, you're not disappointed - but as a fan of the game that wants to see teams head to head at their best - it fell short - it was disappointing.  I personally was hoping we'd get through that horrible third period - let the teams regroup - and go back at it in OT.   As it stood - 5 minutes left and the Swedes still shorthanded - again.   At least Canada scored the gwg 5 on 5.

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

The only thing that tarnished an otherwise amazing final.  

It felt weird cheering for Team Canada but still going

Wtf how is that a penalty

Wtf how is that not a penalty

Oh come on how did Clague get away with that

And so on

2018 IIHF World Junior Championship Awards:

Directorate Awards

Top Goaltender - Filip Gustavsson (SWE)
Top Defenceman - Rasmus Dahlin (SWE)
Top Forward - Casey Mittelstadt (USA)

All-Star Team and MVP (selected by the media)

Goaltender - Filip Gustavsson (SWE)
Defenceman - Rasmus Dahlin (SWE)
Defenceman - Cale Makar (CAN)
Forward - Casey Mittelstadt (USA)
Forward - Filip Zadina (CZE)
Forward - Kieffer Bellows (USA)

MVP - Casey Mittelstadt (USA)

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It felt weird cheering for Team Canada but still going

Wtf how is that a penalty

Wtf how is that not a penalty

Oh come on how did Clague get away with that

And so on

I felt the same way. Makes the win less satisfying.

6 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

But don't they usually mess with the groups to put Canada and USA together?

They did that just for this year so Canada could play the United States in the outdoor game. Normally, the two teams in the gold medal game are in separate groups the following year.

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I doesn't mean you can behave like an idiot.  Like Team USA who trashed the locker room in Nagano.  Classless.

yeah - that was classless. 

and long after the game, not moments after a devastating loss.

and done by a bunch of "adults" - at least adult aged men.

who trashed property that was not theirs.

not really a comparable.

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

They did that just for this year so Canada could play the United States in the outdoor game. Normally, the two teams in the gold medal game are in separate groups the following year.

Yeah it's supposed to 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th in one group and 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, Division I champion in the other if I remember correctly.

I just assumed that they always manipulated the groups because Canada and USA always seem to be together. But I checked back to 2011, and they weren't in the same group. And from 2012-2017, it happened naturally. 

Archived