The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sweden vs. Canada | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2017 | 5:00 PM PT

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Pretty awesome for Steenbergen to get on the board like that. 

I really like the WHLers on this team (Hart, Steel, Steenbergen...) - have had the opportunity to see all of them in the Dub - they're great young players.

Shhh..don't tell Sportsnet and TSN that.....

The one thing I think the Swedes could have improved - too many trying to be the hero (as is often the case in these tournaments, with any team) - and not moving the puck as much as they could, maybe should have.

Got a laugh ouf of McKenzie naming Pettersson as a guy that was getting separated from the puck - my impression of Sweden was far more to the effect of guys trying to do it alone - as Liljegren did, almost embarrassingly, leading to the EN goal that sealed it.

For those saying that Andersson's actions show that he hates losing, well how about the rest of the team? Does their normal behaviour show that they're less competitive than Andersson?

It's possible to hate losing and act responsibly. I don't hold it against Andersson because he's 18, but that's not how a captain should ideally behave.

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Makar and Timmins - the Avalanche are lucky to have these two.

Can Makar ever fly.  He was really impressive when he wound it up.  And Timmins, was simply the best skater for Canada - not really even close.

49 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I have yet to witness a gold medal game that doesn't disappoint.

We scored with 100 seconds left... how exactly did this disappoint? Maybe you just have unreal expectations. This isnt miracle or star wars.  Disney doesmt direct real life.

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We scored with 100 seconds left... how exactly did this disappoint? Maybe you just have unreal expectations. This isnt miracle or star wars.  Disney doesmt direct real life.

I think he got tied up in the double negative and meant to say that the gold medal game never disappoints.

I definitely enjoyed this one. Reminded me of why I watch hockey in the first place.

11 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

wow, what a great captain.

meh.  I think people are making way too much of it.

I remember Vietnam veterans throwing their war medals away.  They were theirs to throw away - they earned them - they didn't have to want them.

It was really not for anyone else to say how they should have felt about them.

Andersson is an 18 yr old whose team just lost their 6th straight gold medal game to Canada.  If Swedes want to feel embarrassed by his actions, that's their prerogative, but this has nothing to do with disrespecting Canada, and if a Canadian captain did that, he'd probably be promptly understood.

Easy for Canadians to sit back and judge their frustration - but no irony in that - at all - no one plays the "nothing but gold is good enough" song louder than Canadians.

40 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I don't understand in the Ricky Bobby quote, why the first you're is used corrected but then they don't correctly use it a second time. 
Should be "If you're not first, you're last" ? I don't understand!!! 

My initial reaction to Andersson throwing his medal was that it was classless, but the more I learn about him, the more I think he's just someone that wants to win more than anything. Imagine losing the big game over and over. The kid was bawling on the ice. He wants to win. 

Archived