The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Larry Brooks - Max Domi

Podz92

This is probably incorrect but I'm going to speculate because it's more fun for me.

Goldobin was put on the top line last night as a showcase for a potential trade.
Alternatively,
Baertschi sat last night because there is a trade negotiation involving him and the team didn't want to risk an injury.

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The fact that Domi is signed, and not a pending UFA, means they’re not lateral trade pieces.  

I don’t need a hill to see this from. That’s obvious. You don’t need to convince me of what a UFA is. 

By lateral, I mean, the shuffling of tradable pieces by those who can shift those players more easily in trade deals. It wouldn’t be the first time a player was traded, solely for re-trade purposes, signed or not. I’m not about to be so rigid in How trades are viewed as I’ve seen some interesting deals made in my time. 

Just because he is a UFA does not mean he won’t sign, this was the assumption I made when I stated that any trade deal for Guddy might involve, in principle, a signing agreement. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Heard mtl is looking hard at domi. Wonder who’d they move out and if they’d be interested in a chucky flip

Apparently there's not as much trade noise around him as over the summer.  Sounds like things are going better now with Julien but maybe too much has happened and they still decide to move him.  

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t need a hill to see this from. That’s obvious. You don’t need to convince me of what a UFA is. 

By lateral, I mean, the shuffling of tradable pieces by those who can shift those players more easily in trade deals. It wouldn’t be the first time a player was traded, solely for re-trade purposes, signed or not. I’m not about to be so rigid in How trades are viewed as I’ve seen some interesting deals made in my time. 

Just because he is a UFA does not mean he won’t sign, this was the assumption I made when I stated that any trade deal for Guddy might involve, in principle, a signing agreement. 

Gudbranson has no history with Arizona and they're the worst team in the league.  What reason would he have to sign there other than an overpayment.  Which brings me back to my original point.  Arizona isn't a cap team and Gudbranson isn't a player you should overpay for.  zYour idea is they trade a bird in the hand for one in the bush.  Makes no sense

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Apparently there's not as much trade noise around him as over the summer.  Sounds like things are going better now with Julien but maybe too much has happened and they still decide to move him.  

I’m just trying to think who mtl has to offer that they’re willing to part with on a domi level and he’s the first thing to come to mind. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Gudbranson has no history with Arizona and they're the worst team in the league.  What reason would he have to sign there other than an overpayment.  Which brings me back to my original point.  Arizona isn't a cap team and Gudbranson isn't a player you should overpay for.  zYour idea is they trade a bird in the hand for one in the bush.  Makes no sense

I don’t disagree.

I am simply leaving the door open though, because there might be a 3-way or something less obvious to the eye than what we are discussing here. Guddy is an asset for who ever owns his rights. Arizona could dangle him to Toronto or Wherever. You just never know. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sadly I think Baer + Goldobin is probably closer but I'd do that as well. Open up a contract spot for Sikura too ::D

So much of this has to do, imo, with the health of Domi.  If he truly has become damaged goods then I don't think you touch him.  But if not and he's just having a (very) down year, then by all means you inquire -- and that's exactly what Benning has and has always apparently done, being in constant contact with all GMs regularly.

Baerstchi is showing to be a 40-50 point player, not far off what Domi has already done, but is that their peaks?  More likely for Baertschi, who is older.  If there are no outstanding health issues then yes, I investigate that deal depending on what all else goes along.  If it's the prime "roster player + top prospect + 1st" ask then no.  Baerstchi is also pending RFA with, I believe, arbitration rights -- will he get that much less than Domi for AZ to be interested?  And not sure why the interest in Rieder, as he is something we already rather have an abundance of -- mid/bottom-6 small-to-middling-sized wingers.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So much of this has to do, imo, with the health of Domi.  If he truly has become damaged goods then I don't think you touch him.  But if not and he's just having a (very) down year, then by all means you inquire -- and that's exactly what Benning has and has always apparently done, being in constant contact with all GMs regularly.

Baerstchi is showing to be a 40-50 point player, not far off what Domi has already done, but is that their peaks?  More likely for Baertschi, who is older.  If there are no outstanding health issues then yes, I investigate that deal depending on what all else goes along.  If it's the prime "roster player + top prospect + 1st" ask then no.  Baerstchi is also pending RFA with, I believe, arbitration rights -- will he get that much less than Domi for AZ to be interested?  And not sure why the interest in Rieder, as he is something we already rather have an abundance of -- mid/bottom-6 small-to-middling-sized wingers.

Yeah, for sure Domi needs to be healthy and/or at least not something that would hinder his play long term. I'd say his results this year have far more to do with team situation though.

I'd imagine Baer will command a fair bit less money, arbitration or not. Less pedigree, close but less stats, less consistent etc. That's where the attraction would be for ARZ IMO though. Not dissimilar production for less $ + some assets.

But yeah, I'm unlikely to send Baer + Goldobin + our 2nd (basically a late 1st) if that's the price. I'd consider adding a bit to Baer + Goldobin but not a tonne and certainly not one of our high picks.

If another GM wants to pay drastically more than that...

It’s funny how we compare. Domi is a 22 year old on pace to put up just under 40 points while being asked to carry a load for his team and people think he’s a high risk.  

Where as, if virtanen next year (his 22 year old season) put up the same point production we’d all be over the moon and he’d be untouchable. 

Theres more than enough evidence to show that domi’s season is a reflection of the entire team. I have zero doubt that if he was put on the wing with Brock and bo he’d be over a 50 point player consistently. And an addition of grit. 

The only thing is Arizona knows that as well and that’s why there asking price is said to be high. If canucks want domi I see Lind part of the pieces heading the other way. Something id have to think long and hard over. 

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s funny how we compare. Domi is a 22 year old on pace to put up just under 40 points while being asked to carry a load for his team and people think he’s a high risk.  

Where as, if virtanen next year (his 22 year old season) put up the same point production we’d all be over the moon and he’d be untouchable. 

Theres more than enough evidence to show that domi’s season is a reflection of the entire team. I have zero doubt that if he was put on the wing with Brock and bo he’d be over a 50 point player consistently. And an addition of grit. 

The only thing is Arizona knows that as well and that’s why there asking price is said to be high. If canucks want domi I see Lind part of the pieces heading the other way. Something id have to think long and hard over. 

Interesting. You make some good points. I think of Lind as untouchable. But. If Lind was part of a package for Domi. And that package didn't include our first or second this year. I think you have to do it. 

JD Burke just said on 1040 he believes Benning may look at packaging Ben Hutton and Sven Baertschi for Max Domi. He recommends letting Jim get picks though in the second, third, and fourth rounds so he can work his magic as the amazing scout he is.

His main argument lies around the fact Baer is due for a new contract and is already 25 years of age. He cites how old this team will be when it peaks with its new core and he believes by the time that comes Baer will likely be 30 and we will be paying him for what he did do not what he will do. As players tend to decline after 30 in the modern era.  

He also said baers underlying numbers are actually pretty bad and the team is getting peppered in shots when he's on the ice.

recommend giving it a listen even if u hate 1040 it's mostly just JD talking. Good clip.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/burke-time-to-stockpile-picks-and-let-benning-do-what-he-does-best-1.1001630

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

JD Burke just said on 1040 he believes Benning may look at packaging Ben Hutton and Sven Baertschi for Max Domi. He recommends letting Jim get picks though in the second, third, and fourth rounds so he can work his magic as the amazing scout he is.

His main argument lies around the fact Baer is due for a new contract and is already 25 years of age. He cites how old this team will be when it peaks with its new core and he believes by the time that comes Baer will likely be 30 and we will be paying him for what he did do not what he will do. As players tend to decline after 30 in the modern era.  

He also said baers underlying numbers are actually pretty bad and the team is getting peppered in shots when he's on the ice.

recommend giving it a listen even if u hate 1040 it's mostly just JD talking. Good clip.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/burke-time-to-stockpile-picks-and-let-benning-do-what-he-does-best-1.1001630

First bolded part says it all. Arizona's management doesnt actually watch hockey. They only care about analytics so burke is either a moron for suggesting it or he is admitting his numbers dont mean jack all.

Second bolded part is pretty funny. Mostly JD talking would be a downgrade on even the worst that the team has to offer.

When I heard baer and hutton were out, I cant help but think those two are going to Arizona.. Maybe hashing out a swap of picks? Domi + 4th or 3rd = Baer, Hutton  +_____. ( heres where the hasing out comes in) arizona prob want a 2nd. We prob throwing in "other options" i hope a deal goes through. I would love Domi boeser horvat till Petterson is good to go. Then have jake with Domi and Bo and JD and Pett with Boeser! Lind Gadj Gaduette. ... Whoooowee thats a decent young top 9. 

Archived