The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Trade Deadline. Deals Done.

TheGuardian_

2 minutes ago, canucker1971 said:

Shall we just sugar coat and pretend that everything is roses like LENNING? The rink is half full, yes the ticket prices haven't gone down. Do the owners care or are they making hundreds of millions of dollars selling condos and are fine with everything?

38943469881_a4865b86b4_o.gif

2 minutes ago, canucker1971 said:

Instant success?

They lost game 7 Stanley Cup 2011

They lost in 6 first round 2012

They were swept in 2013 in first round.

101 points in 2014 screwed this organisation.

We are now 4 years after the fluke 2014 year where they got a Ferland beatdown in round one loss.

Instant satisfaction? Like you mean signing 31 year old Erickson to a $36,000,000 mega deal? Instant success????

what is your point? the ericksson money and term weren't good but i understand why they picked him up. they needed scoring so the picked up vanek. their pp was dismal so they picked up gagner. all stop gap moves while the rebuild was going on. they adnit they have made mistakes but they have a plan that takes time and they are sticking to it. we might have a stanley cup by now if you were gm, our guys are definitely not in your class. thank you for your opinion, we'll file it with all the others.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Or ever? For most of the prospects the odds are that they don't make it and besides there are not enough roster spots available on the team.

Oiler's had lousy drafting, they also had an ex-player as their President of hockey ops and a old friend from junior days as a GM, rookies to start.

If you don't think Pettersson and Demko will be in the NHL ever, I don't know what to tell you. Also, before you say something along the lines of "only 2 out of 24!?", I only listed those two for brevity. 

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what is your point? the ericksson money and term weren't good but i understand why they picked him up. they needed scoring so the picked up vanek. their pp was dismal so they picked up gagner. all stop gap moves while the rebuild was going on. they adnit they have made mistakes but they have a plan that takes time and they are sticking to it. we might have a stanley cup by now if you were gm, our guys are definitely not in your class. thank you for your opinion, we'll file it with all the others.

Exactly correct. Every team makes mistakes.  The Hawks drafted Skille 8th overall one draft, yet still managed to win 3 Cups.  Sure our guys make mistakes, but that doesn't mean we can't overcome those errors and have a good team.  

1 hour ago, canucker1971 said:

Lennings trade deadline plan is as follows:

1) Re-sign Thomas Vanek

2) Coddle the Twins until the end of the season, then watch them bolt back to Sweden.

3) Not actual trade anyone and tell the world that he is excited about the group of guys that he is.

4) Tell Canuck Nation that he wants to acquire some toughness, but, then not actually get any.

5) Re-sign Edler, and telling fans he is the Canucks #1 dman

Please give me back the minuses. I never really used it before but I need it right now. Don't know what you got until it's gone I guess. :sadno:

1 hour ago, canucker1971 said:

Competitive? I hear that word a lot. It makes me want to vomit. The Canucks haven't been in the playoffs for 3 years. they aren't competitive now.

What is our 3 main concerns? : 

1) Goaltending- We have two back ups- lets call it like it is

2) Injuries - This has been our biggest obstacle for at least the last 2 seasons

3) Veteran coddling - We are changing and restricting the rebuild for 2 vets

With the constant emergence of our youngsters year after year, I can only see us getting better and better, especially when Demko is ready. We are beating very good teams even with the deficiencies mentioned above. 

25 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

If you don't think Pettersson and Demko will be in the NHL ever, I don't know what to tell you. Also, before you say something along the lines of "only 2 out of 24!?", I only listed those two for brevity. 

Conveniently missed the other Oiler stuff eh? The Oiler's had lousy drafting, they also had an ex-player as their President of hockey ops and a old friend from junior days as a GM, rookies to start.

Hey all the prospects can play in the NHL if they are put on the team, all 24+, for a cup of coffee.

Edler and Hutton trade bait? A few of the prospects?

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Conveniently missed the other Oiler stuff eh? The Oiler's had lousy drafting, they also had an ex-player as their President of hockey ops and a old friend from junior days as a GM, rookies to start.

Hey all the prospects can play in the NHL if they are put on the team, all 24+, for a cup of coffee.

Edler and Hutton trade bait? A few of the prospects?

No, I saw it. I just choose to ignore it since it was a complete tangent. 

I find topics like this a bit funny.

Its a lose/lose situation regardless of what they do.

If they dont get a first round pick for Vanek the boards will crucify him for not getting enough Value back even though Washington only had to give up a 3rd rounder to Chicago for a depth defense man

If he lets Vanek end out his contract without trading him they will murder him on the boards also.

this year there are too many sellers and not enough buyers to drive the prices for what we have to offer up.Get prepared for the fact that the only trade made at the deadline will probably be for Vanek and it will likely be a third rounder. if Jim Benning gets any more than that he is a freaking genius.

We have a lot of holes in the line up to be filled, we will have to fill some at the draft. Start with a number 1 defense man.(If not Dahlin,please Bouchard)15 of the top 30 are expected to be D

Dont get sucked into the Tkachuck drama. He will move to sign with his brother elsewhere when his contract is up.IMHO

Please let the Sedins tell us they are going back to MODO before the Draft.

and our defensive play is definitely not fine.

25 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I find topics like this a bit funny.

Its a lose/lose situation regardless of what they do.

If they dont get a first round pick for Vanek the boards will crucify him for not getting enough Value back even though Washington only had to give up a 3rd rounder to Chicago for a depth defense man

If he lets Vanek end out his contract without trading him they will murder him on the boards also.

this year there are too many sellers and not enough buyers to drive the prices for what we have to offer up.Get prepared for the fact that the only trade made at the deadline will probably be for Vanek and it will likely be a third rounder. if Jim Benning gets any more than that he is a freaking genius.

We have a lot of holes in the line up to be filled, we will have to fill some at the draft. Start with a number 1 defense man.(If not Dahlin,please Bouchard)15 of the top 30 are expected to be D

Dont get sucked into the Tkachuck drama. He will move to sign with his brother elsewhere when his contract is up.IMHO

Please let the Sedins tell us they are going back to MODO before the Draft.

and our defensive play is definitely not fine.

Pretty much all of that.

@TheGuardian_ Hypothetical situation: let's say you're in the room with Benning and in the case of Vanek, the absolute best offer Benning gets is a late 3rd round pick. Would that satisfy you if you knew there were no better offers?

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Pretty much all of that.

@TheGuardian_ Hypothetical situation: let's say you're in the room with Benning and in the case of Vanek, the absolute best offer Benning gets is a late 3rd round pick. Would that satisfy you if you knew there were no better offers?

trade him. the third round pick is one more prospect in the pool and take the best defenseman available

2 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

Lennings trade deadline plan is as follows:

1) Re-sign Thomas Vanek

2) Coddle the Twins until the end of the season, then watch them bolt back to Sweden.

3) Not actual trade anyone and tell the world that he is excited about the group of guys that he is.

4) Tell Canuck Nation that he wants to acquire some toughness, but, then not actually get any.

5) Re-sign Edler, and telling fans he is the Canucks #1 dman

A little early to be hitting the bottle isn't it? :lol:

2 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

Vanek, Twins, Edler, Baertchi, Gudbranson, Nilsson, Virtanen, Granlund, Tanev, Hutton. Here is a list to start with. Anyone except for Bo and Brock can go. This is a train wreck folks

Are you and “the guardian” husband and wife? As well as brother and sister? 

Wait until the summer to work on the Sedin issue. Is there room for them on next year's roster? Sign or not, and if so, for how much?

I expect that Vanek will be traded. Sorry to see him go, but he was signed to be traded, and he can always be re-signed as a UFA (should he wish to return to play here).If there is enough competition for his services by the TDL, maybe he could bring in a 2nd (say the lower pick with a team who have two 2nd round picks), but easily a 3rd and a reasonable prospect.

Dowd for a 4th, or if not, then the Canucks should offer him a contract for at least a one year deal and something above the league minimum. 

Sign Archibald.

If the Canucks can make a deal which includes Gagner then they should do it. It's not that the team is in need of cap space, or that he has done poorly (to my mind, he's around where he should be for the games he has played). I do see there being a bit of a logjam forming and it might be good to make some space. 

I would prefer that the Canucks not trade Baershi or Granlund, but I could see them included in deals as depth forward acquisitions by another team.

I suspect that a d-man will be moved. Not Gudbranson or Edler, and likely not Tanev (although there's still a chance assuming some other team comes up with a very high type of over-payment offer. I can see Del Zotto being moved (I like his play this season). Hutton could be moved, or maybe even Biega. Something in 3rd round pick at the lowest, or perhaps a 4th for Biega.

If they can get something for Nilsson then the Canucks should take it. (perhaps a 5th - 4th?)

regards,  G.

EDIT: also, there might be room for the Canucks to move down in the draft order, depending on whee they finish and who is still available. If there is someone they want who is likely available at a lower pick, then why not gain a 2nd or 3rd and/or a prospect?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO, we are into the rebuild one year.  I don't think we have any (other than Vanek) guys to trade out for picks/prospects this TDL.  

What was your biggest clue to this conclussion? Was it signing Vanek, Gagner, and Del Zotto or trading for Pouliot?

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Pretty much all of that.

Sure thing, he ends up being a free pick as he didn't cost anything. The team is worse than 25th in the league with him. Any picks at this time they are not going to relevant to playoffs for at leas 3 more years. Sure they may get closer as other teams age, but enough young top players will now be that long, might as well get the best odds for the best players in the mean time.

There is still a sea of red in the arena even in the recent games.

Archived