The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Senators open to trading Karlsson ahead of deadline

Roberts

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tampa should go all in.

TO OTT: 1st round pick 2018, 1st round pick in 2019 + Point + Cal Foote

TO TBL: Karlsson

Point is a HUGE loss for them up front. No way they trade him.

Not to mention, it doesn't address the need to create cap space to add EK. If it happens, someone like Tyler Johnson will likely go the other way. 

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Point is a HUGE loss for them up front. No way they trade him.

Not to mention, it doesn't address the need to create cap space to add EK. If it happens, someone like Tyler Johnson will likely go the other way. 

From what I’ve heard, which literally means nothing as it’s speculation to begin with, but Point would have to be included for Karlsson to be moved.

Now, I don’t see them adding in Foote if trading Point and two first round picks. However, I could understand from Ottawa’s POV why that’s what it would take.

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

From what I’ve heard, which literally means nothing as it’s speculation to begin with, but Point would have to be included for Karlsson to be moved.

Now, I don’t see them adding in Foote if trading Point and two first round picks. However, I could understand from Ottawa’s POV why that’s what it would take.

If I'm Tampa, I pass on that. But I'd certainly consider involving Segachev.

EDIT: The thing with Point is, he's cheap next year too. The whole point of adding Karlsson is to go for a run this year and next. Someone who needs a raise next year (Namestnikov), or is already pricey (Johnson, Palat) fits their window far more. I'd be looking at trading one of those guys and a ton of futures rather than give up a cheap core player like Point.

This is the kind of trade that teams come to regret.

You better hope it gives you a Cup in the near term because when you extend him for a max term deal at huge dollars, you arr going to be stuck with it for a long time.

Ottawa got almost all, if not all his best years. They are smart for trying to get a massive haul now.

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is the kind of trade that teams come to regret.

You better hope it gives you a Cup in the near term because when you extend him for a max term deal at huge dollars, you arr going to be stuck with it for a long time.

Ottawa got almost all, if not all his best years. They are smart for trying to get a massive haul now.

If Tampa (or any other team) trades for him, they’d have no problem giving the best defenseman in the NHL, who’s only 27 years old, max term and dollars.

In 5 years time, every team will have at least one $10M+ contract on their roster. And having quite literally the best defenseman on your roster who will be in his prime until he’s 35 years old is a pretty easy decision to make.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

If Tampa (or any other team) trades for him, they’d have no problem giving the best defenseman in the NHL, who’s only 27 years old, max term and dollars.

In 5 years time, every team will have at least one $10M+ contract on their roster. And having quite literally the best defenseman on your roster who will be in his prime until he’s 35 years old is a pretty easy decision to make.

Well it is a really big stretch to say that he will be in his prime until he is 35, it just doesn’t happen often. Karlsson has logged a lot of minutes and has a lot of mileage on him, so the odds are stacked against him.

$13 million x 8 years means half or more of the contract will be overpaying for past performance.

Ask Montréal how it is going with perennial Norris candidate Weber.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well it is a really big stretch to say that he will be in his prime until he is 35, it just doesn’t happen often. Karlsson has logged a lot of minutes and has a lot of mileage on him, so the odds are stacked against him.

$13 million x 8 years means half or more of the contract will be overpaying for past performance.

Love Karlsson as a player before the ankle issues.  Like Karlsson now.  Will detest Karlsson in within 5 years.  Any team giving up serious assets to get him is stupid, unless it is a team that can win a Cup now.  

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

The issue with Weber isn’t that he isn’t worth his AAV or that he’s not a terrific defenseman anymore. And the issue isn’t that he’s 32 with only 3 years left on his contract. That would be fine.

The issue with Weber is that his contract takes him until he’s 40. If 35, then his contract would be fine. Now, if we’re talking about what Montreal gave up for him, that’s an entirely different story.

As for Karlsson, he’s 27 and still the best defenseman in the NHL. He’s not in his back 9.

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

The issue with Weber isn’t that he isn’t worth his AAV or that he’s not a terrific defenseman anymore. And the issue isn’t that he’s 32 with only 3 years left on his contract. That would be fine.

The issue with Weber is that his contract takes him until he’s 40. If 35, then his contract would be fine. Now, if we’re talking about what Montreal gave up for him, that’s an entirely different story.

As for Karlsson, he’s 27 and still the best defenseman in the NHL. He’s not in his back 9.

Or that Montreal is just a disaster :lol:

One top 10 D can't fix that mess on his own. 

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or that Montreal is just a disaster :lol:

One top 10 D can't fix that mess on his own. 

And that’s other thing. That’s why I’m not quite sure why Weber was brought up to begin with. He’s not 27 and Erik Karlsson is an entirely different type of defenseman.

But yeah, Montreal is a tire fire. Aside from having some absolutely terrible drafting passed the 1st round, the trades that Bergevin has orchestrated have been mind boggling.

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

He will be 29 when his inevitable 8 year extension starts, that doesn't add up to 35 by the end of it.  Fine if you think you can win right now and pay the price later, but don't pretend he is going to be a good value for most of that contract... very few players maintain the production into their 30's with the way the game is played now.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

He will be 29 when his inevitable 8 year extension starts, that doesn't add up to 35 by the end of it.  Fine if you think you can win right now and pay the price later, but don't pretend he is going to be a good value for most of that contract... very few players maintain the production into their 30's with the way the game is played now.

You’re right. Forgot about when the extension kicks in. Would take him until he’s 37.

However, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think the most elite defenseman around will be worth the money and still producing when he’s 34 years old (which would be most of the contract). He’s not going to fall off a cliff offensively or defensively. And defenseman last longer.

You’re free to feel otherwise. Agree to disagree.

13 hours ago, Monty said:

You’re right. Forgot about when the extension kicks in. Would take him until he’s 37.

However, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think the most elite defenseman around will be worth the money and still producing when he’s 34 years old (which would be most of the contract). He’s not going to fall off a cliff offensively or defensively. And defenseman last longer.

You’re free to feel otherwise. Agree to disagree.

One of his worst seasons offensively (not bad, just not to par from years past) and defensively (-30, because Methot is gone?) after a surgery that could affect his skating (could deteriorate sooner with age) has got to worry teams thinking long term for him. He will be a game changer until the end of his current contract, but you'd have to be weary of an extension of what he would like.

46 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

jeez lol if that’s true

Go home melnyk.

We think we have it bad with the aquilinis yeesh sens fans have it soooo much worse with this egotistical, over controlling, cliche billionaire D-bag pretty much calling the shots on all hockey operations which is why they are a steaming mess

Archived