The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Derick Brassard, Vincent Dunn, Tobias Lindberg, 3rd-round pick (OTT); Senators acquire Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson, 1st-round pick (PIT), 2019 3rd-round pick (PIT); Golden Knights acquire Ryan Reaves, 4th-round pick (VAN)

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Riley Sheahan fits the bill.

Not physical but he`s big and he`s a good two-way guy.

Trading Hutton for a 26 year old 30-40 point player in his prime is not a bad deal. Would be a great winger for Gaudette to be paired with.

Has he primarily played C or a mix of wing/C.  Pens might need a C back though.  I like Dowd.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Riley Sheahan fits the bill.

Not physical but he`s big and he`s a good two-way guy.

Trading Hutton for a 26 year old 30-40 point player in his prime is not a bad deal. Would be a great winger for Gaudette to be paired with.

Sheary would also be a good fit. Little high cap hit, but a good young controllable asset who would help increase our depth on the wing.

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Isn’t ZAR a little on the slow/heavy-footed side?

Aston-Reese, according to Rutherford, is a Patric Hornqvist type of player. He plays a 200-foot game and possesses solid finishing skills. He’s an unrelenting forechecker and likes to mix things up, but still has the skating ability and skill level to play in Pittsburgh. In other words, he’s the epitome of a Mike Sullivan type of player.

https://thehockeywriters.com/zach-aston-reese-penguins-new-era/

With him on board, Sikura will go FA and to us.  He and Gaudette will more than compensate.

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Pittsburgh is seizing the opportunity.......not a lot of competition this year.......

Pens are going all in again, for sure, but there are some very good teams out east: TBay and Washington?  Even the Leafs are good.  I wonder if one (or all) of those three make some big splash this weekend?

1 minute ago, Isam said:

Sheary would also be a good fit. Little high cap hit, but a good young controllable asset who would help increase our depth on the wing.

I agree - but he's been a big part of their offense on these past 2 cup runs.  You remove him and their suddenly not as dangerous.  That might be a player they move in the off season or whenever his contract is due up.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pens are going all in again, for sure, but there are some very good teams out east: TBay and Washington?  Even the Leafs are good.  I wonder if one (or all) of those three make some big splash this weekend?

For sure TB and maybe WASH......just can't utter the words Leafs lol....... the dominos will start to fall now that PITTS has started stocking up.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I agree - but he's been a big part of their offense on these past 2 cup runs.  You remove him and their suddenly not as dangerous.  That might be a player they move in the off season or whenever his contract is due up.

If it`s Hutton and Vanek though, Vanek would replace what Sheary brings.

They send back Sheary and Aston-Reese our way.

Maybe I am alone on this but barring last year where Dorion went all in and it didn't work.  Hard to say he's not being decisive.  The season completely got away from the team and he's cutting his losses.

After an amazing run he's starting an immediate rebuild and while giving up those futures for Duchene stings, he actually didn't do too badly in this trade.  Brassard is a solid middle 6 center but in no way fits their timeline.  Selling him off ensures they sink lower in the standings.

Hoffman being the next logical move based on his age.  Stone I'd say keep but who knows.

But the Karlsson deal is what is the most intriguing.  Openly stating Karlsson is not available without losing Ryans contract is ballsy but could seriously pay off.

even if the return is a first(s) 2nd(s) young player and top prospect for just Karlsson and you lose 1 of those pieces to lose that anchor contract of Ryans it's a HUGE move for a rebuild to ensure you've got those futures and that cap space.

Will be interesting to see what else comes of Ottawa pre draft day

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matthews injured again with a shoulder issue.

Don't put the leafs in that tier with him hurt and that defense

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Agree on that too, but this season he hasnt been as big a part, so there might be a possibility however slight.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

With him on board, Sikura will go FA and to us.  He and Gaudette will more than compensate.

While he doesn't have the hands or elite speed to be a top six player, he can be a bottom six forward that does a good job in his own zone taking away time and space, and winning puck battles along the wall. He can cycle well down low, be a puck hound in all three zones, and push possession while he's out there. He can kill penalties and chip in offensively from time to time.

Strengths: Heavy game, plays and competes in all three zones, goes to dirty areas for tip-in and 'garbage' goals

Weaknesses: Lacks elite speed and offensive skill set to play top six in NHL

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sbncollegehockey.com/platform/amp/2017/3/10/13463788/nhl-prospects-top-free-agents-hockey-east-ecac-hockey-zach-aston-reese-mike-vecchione-tyler-kelleher

still sounds like a player I’d be happy to have. Hopefully Gaudette outgrows him as a pro though. 

To play devil's advocate, what if Melnyk already/secretly had a Sens buyer lined up(say local, or in Quebec)?

Ship out ALL big contracts, one by one. Over 2018 & 2019 have 5 or 6 1st rounders(who cares if they squandered one out west?)..add to that 5 or 6 nicely developing prospects, & it might prove appealing to some other billionaire.

Guy's pretty hated(as an owner), & maybe tired of the whole fiasco ?

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 6m6 minutes ago

More

PIT-OTT deal involving Brassard is ultra-complicated, so much so that Brassard will likely first be traded to a team other than PIT. Then flipped to PIT. Hearing that third team is likely VGK. Potential for layers of salary retention.

2 replies78 retweets68 likes

Archived