The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

3 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I assume you're really talking about Subban.  Well if these DMen could play in the NHL then the Canucks would keep them.  I think the OP was probably right, Holm projects to no more than a 3rd pairing DMan.  Our biggest loss was not being able to keep Sbisa, who is having a great year in Vegas on their first pairing.  Fortunately, there are two or three younger guys in Utica and of course OJ who all probably have more long-term upside than Holm.  Besides, maybe in Leipsic JB sees something of a young Brad Marchand or Alex Burrows, two agitators who were great at getting opponents off their game and who didn't develop offensively until they'd been in the league for a few years.  I think that was the plan for Dorsett, who appeared to be really be coming into his own offensively when he had to retire.  I suspect JB is eyeing some undrafted NCAA DMen (lately, Stecher has been one of our best players), or maybe some younger undrafted euros (somebody who's playing with Pettersson, Dahlin or OJ?) or maybe the plan is to load up on DMen in the draft.  He has a plan and will make it work.  JB is still filling up the cupboard, but already we surely have the deepest talent pool we've ever had.

I miss Sbisa. His last year here he was really starting to put it together. He's tough. I would of like to see more of Holm. But Holm is hardly irreplaceable through scouting euro leagues or the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

In watching his highlights I think for him to be more successful in the NHL he should improve his skating edge work and probably conditioning. The Canucks trainers will help him with that. He has a good shot and likes to score from one knee similar to Mike Cammalleri. He scores most of his goals from the opposite side that Brock does. On a power play I would like to see Green play him with Brock and Bo. His playmaking will have to improve also to be on that line full time. Regardless he will be a welcome addition to the room. I can see a high energy guy like him bringing the best out of Bo and Brock. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

From someone who I know who follows Vegas (lives there), says LB has been a good player this year but snakebitten around the net.   No idea what sort of shooting percentage he has but I bet it is very low as apparently he gets lots of shots on goal (posts and crossbars too...and they don't count as shots) and he only has a couple of goals so something seems out of place.  Perhaps the dam will burst for him.   Clearly given CHL and AHL he knows how to score.

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

From someone who I know who follows Vegas (lives there), says LB has been a good player this year but snakebitten around the net.   No idea what sort of shooting percentage he has but I bet it is very low as apparently he gets lots of shots on goal (posts and crossbars too...and they don't count as shots) and he only has a couple of goals so something seems out of place.  Perhaps the dam will burst for him.   Clearly given CHL and AHL he knows how to score.

Play the odds and put him with Gaunce. No one has worse luck than Gaunce. 

Below the link to the 1st part of a documentary that was produced on the WHL 2012 finals between the Winterhawks and the Oil Kings in his draft year.  They say it was one of the most intense finals in a while. 

There are two segments where they talk about him at the 8:15 and at 11:20 but he is on plays throughout the documentary.  

It also gives a bit of an insight on how Portland played - Green seems to be using that team as his blueprint.  When Johnston and him took over under new owners pretty much everyone was let go and they started new.  Johnston talked about how they had the same ideas and wanted the same kind of team.

There are so many recognisable names and shows that junior success might not necessarily translate to the pro level.  Benning said he scouted those finals.  It's a fun watch - a fair share of Baertschi too.  Pouliot more in the background.

http://kelownarockets.com/video/shaw-documentary-whl-full-on-episode-one

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Leipsic with Bo and Brock is nuts. It'll be exciting to see. I honestly don't expect too much, but Horvat seems to be a master at making players around him better, so maybe he will succeed with them.

Maybe Green wants some 'grease' on that line?  I just think Bo and Brock better have their chin-straps done up tight, when out there with Leipsic.  That guy is going to cause the $h*t to fly!!!!!

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

Protection for Brock ?

Am I the only one that thinks Leipsic reminds them of RR #37 ?

I don't think he is going to protect Brock. According to hockeyfights.com he has only had 1 fight since his junior days and that was against that thug Cory Connacher. He is not a tough guy like RR was but he is way more skilled

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't think he is going to protect Brock. According to hockeyfights.com he has only had 1 fight since his junior days and that was against that thug Cory Connacher. He is not a tough guy like RR was but he is way more skilled

I don't know Leipsic well but from what I can tell, his "protection" value for teammates is less in the form of fighting as it is taking the focus on himself by mouthing off the other team.  Will be interesting to see how Leipsic plays with Bo and Boeser tonight.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:20 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Glad to see Leipsic on the team. Looking forward to seeing him suit up. Hopefully he makes #9 his own. Was it just Kassian that wore it before him? Or did Hodgson wear it as well?

nvm some one already answered your question lol

Edited by TNucks1
  • Like 1

Judging from his junior stats, he's not devoid of talent. I do like this trade, Holm wasn't going to crack the top 4...ever. Maybe this guy could be the playmaker on a line with Sutter and Archie (both of them are shooters first), and give us a line that could drive opponents nuts, then turn around and score to boot.

32 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Judging from his junior stats, he's not devoid of talent. I do like this trade, Holm wasn't going to crack the top 4...ever. Maybe this guy could be the playmaker on a line with Sutter and Archie (both of them are shooters first), and give us a line that could drive opponents nuts, then turn around and score to boot.

playing with bo and boeser tonight.