The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

This kid has completely filled that void of vanek being out, I really enjoyed him and virt together, I’m feeling a line of gaudette virt and leip could be one of the most annoying lines to play against in the league in the near future 

well having our composed first line of bo boes and pettersson 

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Is it just me, or does Leipsic look like the second coming of Alex Burrows?  Leipsic has got the sort of skills that Burrows showed while playing with the Sedins and he seems to have some of that edge to his game that Burrows had.  And apparently Leipsic is killer at running his mouth.  Wishful thinking on my part?

Leipsic? Do We Really Need Him?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

This kid has completely filled that void of vanek being out, I really enjoyed him and virt together, I’m feeling a line of gaudette virt and leip could be one of the most annoying lines to play against in the league in the near future 

well having our composed first line of bo boes and pettersson 

Yep, a couple of hungry, nasty dogs and a beast.  Jake is making a bigger imprint in every game he plays now.  The way he is generating opportunities through his skating and phyical is exactly what was hoed for.  Bertuzzi pretty much called it on Jake.  Seeing Green put Jake out there in the last minute of games and periods is quite a statement.  Leipsic seems to be really taking advantage of what Jake brings.  Now if Gaudette draws into that, as you suggest, it might turn into quite the line.  Other teams might begin calling them the West Coast Depress, because of how you feel when you have to ply against them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Until we have a defence in front of them, I’d be careful of pre-judging the goalies.

Now, nobody is declaring Markstrom a Vezna candidate, IMO, he's a solid '1B' goalie but the amount of people who can't seem to grasp that a goalie, to some degree, is only as good as the team in front of them is staggering.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep, a couple of hungry, nasty dogs and a beast.  Jake is making a bigger imprint in every game he plays now.  The way he is generating opportunities through his skating and phyical is exactly what was hoed for.  Bertuzzi pretty much called it on Jake.  Seeing Green put Jake out there in the last minute of games and periods is quite a statement.  Leipsic seems to be really taking advantage of what Jake brings.  Now if Gaudette draws into that, as you suggest, it might turn into quite the line.  Other teams might begin calling them the West Coast Depress, because of how you feel when you have to ply against them.

IMHO I thought Virtanen was making Leipsic look better than he was. 3 penalties and some bad passes was making me wonder. Then as one famous quote "He totally redeemed himself!" The fact that Green stuck with Leipsic through the game was a more than solid coaching move. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Now, nobody is declaring Markstrom a Vezna candidate, IMO, he's a solid '1B' goalie but the amount of people who can't seem to grasp that a goalie, to some degree, is only as good as the team in front of them is staggering.

This is markstroms first year as a true number 1 on a team, I am not going to judge him on this season as where glimpses of brilliance has been shown at times, I for one still believe he has potential to be a top 10 nhl goalie if he can become that confident guy he was in the ahl with some solid d helping him out when he may not be having the sharpest games, 

john garrit showed a clip of him having a fit yelling at the bench “LETS GO” after the first goal and criticized him on it, I for one don’t see anything wrong with that! That’s a leader speaking up all the best players in the game do that. 

Anyways my thoughts 

• Cheers 2

This Heath Ledger guy is pretty good.

4 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

john garrit showed a clip of him having a fit yelling at the bench “LETS GO” after the first goal and criticized him on it, I for one don’t see anything wrong with that! That’s a leader speaking up all the best players in the game do that. 

When you've let in 8 goals from behind the friggin net this year alone you shouldn't be calling anyone out.  

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I am very glad you said this.   Sure both Canuck goalies have had rough patches this year but SV% is as much a team stat as a goalie stat.  The number of Grade A chances the Canucks give the opposition, particularly in the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of games, is off the charts.    I think Markstrom (in particular) and Nilsson are both decent options for the team as this stage of their redevelopment process but I also think they are unfairly blamed as the "problem" as having Brodeur or Roy back there in their respective primes doesn't help if you are giving the other team a dozen plus high quality chances each game.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Leipsic is a small feisty player. He isn’t a dirty player like a MT but he seems to push buttons in the way Brendan Gallagher or Leo Komarov do.   His AHL scoring ability came from skating and puck control talents that few in the AHL could keep up with.   He was yet another "small" forward grabbed by the Leafs organization and simply didn't fit in the numbers when Vegas picking was involved last year.   Vegas had him in some good roles but his shooting percentage was abysmal to the point where league average would have had him having about three times the number of goals.    

Probably tops out at a middle six and not sure he would be part of a strong playoff team but for now, a nice piece to work with.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:51 AM, aGENT said:

you know what old Scottie said, " Hockey is 75% goaltending, unless its bad goaltending, then its 100%"