The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Signing Kane in the offseason

Should the Canucks sign Evander Kane?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So finally Evander Kane is most likely going to be headed to UFA. We know Benning has been trying to trade for him for a long time. Would you like to see the Canucks sign Evander Kane in the off season?

Only do it if the Sedins announce they retire before July 1st.

We already have a bad contract in Erikkson, don't need a second one in Kane.

Hometown boy or not, he's too old for what the team is doing now. Go younger. It sucks Kane's time isn't right but I just don't see a fit going forward.

• Upvote 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] Signing Kane in the offseason
45 minutes ago, smokes said:

So finally Evander Kane is most likely going to be headed to UFA. We know Benning has been trying to trade for him for a long time. Would you like to see the Canucks sign Evander Kane in the off season?

Yes, I think he is exactly what are smallish top 6 next year needs. The best part is I'm hoping that will put the MT talk away. We get Kane who is better without wasting a 5th, and OJ who is averaging .50 PPG A record for his age I'm told. in A very low scoring team and the league overall. So yes give him4x6. Less term more money, which we can do. No NTC Is 4 long enough to get it done? or is it 5-6? id still do it.

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd prefer to spend that money on a $6M defenseman, which we need far more sorely than another scoring forward.

I think we're gonna have at least one D from the draft that will step in I hope. Also not a lot out there this summer. JC is not coming here unless we break the bank and even then he probably thinks we're gonna suck next year. If Marky and Demko if he makes it screw Cull guys been cold ever since that comment lol. plus another year older for BOHO Brock plus the young kids and whomever we draft this year, we should at least be a wild card. Tanev is the wild card. If JB trades him for A young ready to go RHD from a team like the Ducks or Canes who both face some waiver issues next year. Along with OJ and Dhalin? Bovquist? Bouchard or Hughes are D might be all right. Or if we keep Tanman If he can stay Healthy along with Edler continuing his resurgence. Plus Guddy showing us what he did in Florida. And Finally, Pouliot if he keeps getting better on D, to go along with his great offensive instincts. What is he second now in scoring? And running the second pp pretty damn well. I think for the first time we may be ok. Especially if we can get Tram back. Ps OJ I think shuts up the MT lovers.

He ticks all the boxes this forum has been crying for.

He's a consistent goal-scorer 

He brings grit and plays with an edge

He's 6'2" 212 pounds

At 26, he's not as old as people are making him out to be

All this can be acquired without giving up assets if we can nab him as a UFA. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Only do it if the Sedins announce they retire before July 1st.

We already have a bad contract in Erikkson, don't need a second one in Kane.

Hometown boy or not, he's too old for what the team is doing now. Go younger. It sucks Kane's time isn't right but I just don't see a fit going forward.

He hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he is exactly what we need. Were going to small next year. This guy will allow no liberties on EP JD etc. Plus I'm in the boat given how crappy the Pacific is Were at least a wild card maybe even 3rd in the Pacific behind the Knights, tho they are having an unsustainable year if you ask me. And maybe the Sharks. La Cal the Oil yotes don't inspire much confidence 

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He's 6'2" 212 pounds

I think its A no-brainer.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He's 6'2" 212 pounds

IF the price is right, I'd say step right up!

No, we don't need someone who brings all the attention Kane does. This market is volatile as it is. He's also more of a finisher than a playmaker and if anything we need more playmakers. Plus, like someone has previously mentioned, we have a bigger need for a legitimate top 4 Dman. We have plenty of forwards coming into the fold from within the organization we do not need to clog it up further with outside help.

LW depth next year:

D. Sedin (of course assuming they don't retire)

Leipsic

Motte

Baertschi

Archibald

Goldobin

Gaunce

Eriksson

Granlund

Boucher

and that's assuming nobody else from the youngsters challenges for a spot. Even if the Sedins retire, we would still have too many forwards on LW. IMO, they should try to sell Granlund for a pick at the draft. Too many players that do the same thing (Granlund, Eriksson, Gaunce).

Edited by Vanuckles

I think we can find his 45-55 points somewhere in our pool soon, maybe even next year.  Fifty points and 25 goals seems his mid prime range which would help of course, as would some physical play, id just rather see the money used to help on defense and saved for something better. 

No assets given, shed Gagner and Hutton's contracts to pay him. (that's almost 6 M right there) 

If the bidding goes higher no, bid on Tavares instead.

If we draft Tkachuk --no-- then we don't need him. Go after UFA Dmen instead.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, smokes said:

Source? More like any prudent GM, he's kicked the tires. Not sure he was actively trying to get him. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

He's 6'2" 212 pounds

You forgot immaturity, and two teams have moved him. Teams that need those same boxes ticked. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, smokes said:

We know Benning has been trying to trade for him for a long time.

Source?

7 hours ago, guntrix said:

He's 6'2" 212 pounds

If that's what this team needed, I am certain they would've drafted Matthew Tkachuk.  There is one thing missing and that's character. 

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You forgot immaturity, and two teams have moved him. Teams that need those same boxes ticked. 

Exactly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1