The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Season: Free Agents Who fit Jim and Trevors Wishes (Share your thoughts)

Rush17

I really don’t want to bring in too many ufa’s. If we trade Tanev I can see the sense of bringing in a player like Green to bolster things. Aside from that I would like to see Jussi Jokinen resigned on the cheap. He really proved himself valuable at seasons end. Plus it may be good to have another Finnish player on the team if Juolevi makes it. He’s been great under Salo’s tutelage but Jokinen is also a very respected vet from his country and would carry similar weight. Could also be good for Granlund at the same time. As Jokinen is a good example of what Granlund can become. Anyone who follows hockey enough knows how good Jokinen used to be, can play any forward position, great defensively, scored at a second line rate for most of his career, killer in shoot outs. Anyways now I’m rambling...

Mark Stone, Roussel, and Sustr would add toughness and a safe work environment for Boeser and Petterson.

(Possible secondary picks for offense would be Neal or Grabner) We need upgrades on all fronts and if we can get those done at a reasonable price we can add time, to our development and have patience to weave in our younger prospects.

On 07/04/2018 at 6:23 PM, Crabcakes said:

I could see a Dorsett replacement.  Is Archibald that guy?  I'm just raising the question because I'm not sure he makes the team with a healthy line up.

Gagner was supposed to be Hanks replacement I think but Green looks like he wants him on the wing.  We could see a bottom 6 centre added on a 1 or 2 year term.  Richardson?   

As for goal, I think we see the 2 best of Markstrom, Nilsson and Demko with the club next year.

Cody McLeod . He's from delta too. Hometown boy . 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Mark Stone, Roussel, and Sustr would add toughness and a safe work environment for Boeser and Petterson.

(Possible secondary picks for offense would be Neal or Grabner) We need upgrades on all fronts and if we can get those done at a reasonable price we can add time, to our development and have patience to weave in our younger prospects.

Not to pick on you (as you're not remotely alone) but Mark Stone is an RFA, not UFA. I keep seeing people posting we should sign him but the only way we're getting him is via trade (or I suppose, long shot, an offer sheet). But certainly, if we can upgrade our top 6W positions (though LW seems more of an issue) I'm all for it while moving out guys like Baer should that upgrade materialize.

I like Roussel and he's certainly a PITA to play against but I'm just not sure we have room for him as we're already overflowing with actual (and potential) bottom 6 guys. We'd have to move some guys out to make room for him. Roussel, Sutter and Granlund/Archibald/Gaunce/Motte etc sure would make for a hell of a match up line though... Just not sure we want to commit likely 4'ish years to him when we're going to have a LOT of options PDQ.

Sustr, Green etc would be great signings to tide us over-Sustr likely more long term (and ideally, move Tanev for futures). Sign (or trade for, perhaps in a cap dump scenario) one 'mid-range' guy and save our cap space for next summer when Doughty, Karlsson, OEL, McDonagh, Myers, Ellis, Gardiner etc are all UFA. Surely we can nab one of those guys with our cap space next year, I'd far rather be big spenders then.

Please no big name free agents. 

We will need to over pay and it’s not worth it. None of them out there are worth it. 

Tavaras puts up numbers but when I watch him he just doesn’t really impress. 

An Erik Karlsson trade has people drooling but he may be damaged goods. 

He was not that great this year. 

On 10/04/2018 at 10:32 AM, EdgarM said:

If there was any position that we NEED, its a PMD. This has been a NEED on this team for eons. We have NOTHING in the system that remotely resembles Carlson. We have three glaring needs. 1) Grit 2) Defense 3) Goaltending . Goaltending is hopefully solved with Demko soon and grit is easier to come by. A PMD? Not so easy to acquire. 

Right now is the most opportune time to acquire such a player with the available cap space.

Same situation across the whole league.  Everyone wants or needs them.  Out best chance is to draft a couple PMD, several years in a row, and develop them in our system.  One or two top 4's should emerge.

On 10/04/2018 at 5:03 PM, IBatch said:

You bet, I'd move defense right up to number one, and Carlson is a prime example of how long it takes for even good defenseman to develop.  A lot of defenseman start to peak in their late twenties, with their best seasons in the 30-34 range (Lidstrom is a prime example of this).  

This whole thing about how it takes defensemen a lot longer to develop isn't really true.  Let's look at some of the best ones of all time:

Ray Bourque:  The first half of his career was a lot better than the 2nd half.  Dominant in his first NHL season (as an 18 year old)

Paul Coffey:  His first seasons were by far his best.  Dominant starting in his 2nd NHL season (at 20 years old).

Bobby Orr:  Dominant in his first season (as an 18 year old).  Retired in his late 20's.

Nicklas Lidstrom:  Dominant in his first seasons (at 21).  Played consistently through his entire career.

Denis Potvin:  Dominant in his first season (at 19).  Best seasons were early in his career.

Larry Robinson:  Best seasons were early in his career.

Brian Leetch:  Dominant from his first season (at 19).  Best seasons were early in his career.

Scott Stevens:  First seasons at age 18.  Best seasons early in his career.

Almost all of the top defensemen made the NHL really young and had their best seasons really early in their careers.

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

This whole thing about how it takes defensemen a lot longer to develop isn't really true.  Let's look at some of the best ones of all time:

Ray Bourque:  The first half of his career was a lot better than the 2nd half.  Dominant in his first NHL season (as an 18 year old)

Paul Coffey:  His first seasons were by far his best.  Dominant starting in his 2nd NHL season (at 20 years old).

Bobby Orr:  Dominant in his first season (as an 18 year old).  Retired in his late 20's.

Nicklas Lidstrom:  Dominant in his first seasons (at 21).  Played consistently through his entire career.

Denis Potvin:  Dominant in his first season (at 19).  Best seasons were early in his career.

Brian Leetch:  Dominant from his first season (at 19).  Best seasons were early in his career.

Almost all of the top defensemen made the NHL really young and had their best seasons really early in their careers.

Off course you are talking about the best of all time. The best of the best are not the typical players.

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Top defenseman aren't the issue, we don't have any of those at the moment, it's the remaining group, even a tier down but still very good that take longer, it's well documented.  Also in Potvins era rookies were already twenty....

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He's 33 and looks like he's been a part timer last couple of years while playing for 3 teams.  Colorado, Nashville, NYR.  It could be time to hang them up.

True . Also because players like him are less needed then ever before . Still, would be nice to have an old school tough guy in the mix for us. 

On 2018-04-10 at 4:30 AM, alfstonker said:

Not for me. I just don't see Lucic as fitting in with the way this Canucks team is being projected. I would much rather have a younger guy like John Carlson to boost the D. I'd also look at Alexei Emelin to boost up the D grit. 

That would leave the way open to trade Tanev, who I love but who just gets injured too much - we might land a first round and a young prospect from someone like the Leafs or even the Preds. 

I like, always have liked, Emelin. That and getting a first for Tanev would be excellent.

22 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Cody McLeod . He's from delta too. Hometown boy . 

He's not like DD though imo because he can't play an intelligent game. I would rather just draft toughness into the team. Or as I have said above Carlson or Emilin can be had on UFA. Both would be high contributors as well as tough guys. Look what Deryk Engelland has done for Vegas. He was the guy who put Orrs lights out.

I watched him against LA and he virtually single handedly intimidated the whole LA team, no one wanted to have a piece of him, even Phaneuf thought better of it.

Archived