The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now and then: CDC

-AJ-

Who was the girl who posted on WN a few years back, she was dating a forum member, and I remember a few times I would come in to the new WN and she would jump all over ANYBODY who brought up old WN and wouldn't back down. She had some bite to her.

13 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Undoubtedly Hodor :lol:

Yup! That was it!

She changed it to Hodor from something else but it was her first username when I had my interactions with her. She actually turned out to be pretty cool, we had chatted through PM a little bit.

21 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Honestly, reading posts from back then is the best. It's painful, and it makes me wince, but I love it. I also am pretty sure I got banned for making a joke...male reproductive fluids. It was a good run.

Bake me away, toys.

Yeah, as you said, it was so much more fun when everyone posted more freely. It's not like we're not allowed to anymore, but people lack that enthusiasm for true goofiness. Don't know when/why everyone agreed to become so boring.

37 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Yeah, as you said, it was so much more fun when everyone posted more freely. It's not like we're not allowed to anymore, but people lack that enthusiasm for true goofiness. Don't know when/why everyone agreed to become so boring.

For sure. Some of it might be a bit cringey to look back on, but in the moment it's always a ton of fun when everyone just embraces being silly. The forum has gradually become a lot more clinical. It's hard to get invested in it now.

And yeah, it's totally not a mod issue either. Like, when Saniel Dedin was posting goofy stuff in White Noise a few years ago, even Deb was getting in on the whole "Deb's Torture Dungeon" shtick too. The big personalities have just moved on.

Edit: Is your location a Das Racist reference btw? LOL

Despite joining in 2010, I really didn't take this place seriously until 2013. I missed out on the 2011 hype train, but saw the gradual decline of the team.

Perhaps CDC follows the ebb and flow of the Canucks?

10 hours ago, BananaMash said:

For sure. Some of it might be a bit cringey to look back on, but in the moment it's always a ton of fun when everyone just embraces being silly. The forum has gradually become a lot more clinical. It's hard to get invested in it now.

And yeah, it's totally not a mod issue either. Like, when Saniel Dedin was posting goofy stuff in White Noise a few years ago, even Deb was getting in on the whole "Deb's Torture Dungeon" shtick too. The big personalities have just moved on.

Edit: Is your location a Das Racist reference btw? LOL

I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

Joined slightly over nine years ago. On the exact date I joined, the Canucks were away to Chicago and spanked them 4-0. Luongo was in net for the shutout. The Sedins and Burrows each had three points; Kesler sealed the deal with a goal assisted from Sundin. A line brawl started when the Canucks were up 3-0. Byfuglien gave Luongo a rabbit punch in the crease:

I'm almost certain that I would have joined CDC just to talk about this game.  I was finishing my undergrad then. Have since completed my PhD. Got married, bought a condo.... life comes at you fast.  

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Joined slightly over nine years ago. On the exact date I joined, the Canucks were away to Chicago and spanked them 4-0. Luongo was in net for the shutout. The Sedins and Burrows each had three points; Kesler sealed the deal with a goal assisted from Sundin. A line brawl started when the Canucks were up 3-0. Byfuglien gave Luongo a rabbit punch in the crease:

I'm almost certain that I would have joined CDC just to talk about this game.  I was finishing my undergrad then. Have since completed my PhD. Got married, bought a condo.... life comes at you fast.  

The good 'ol days of the Blackhawks-Canucks rivalry.

On 1998 Dial-up internet, I joined ‘CDC’. 

I cant recall what happened to that first account. The graphics were this horrible blue colour and it was a total time vampire waiting for pages to load, but just like it is now, it was a great source for Canucks news and for our prospect info. 

I’ve had 3? accounts since then. Mostly I posted in trades talk back before it became structured. It was a gong show, lots of fun to read. CDCers were amateurs compared to some other site we all mock today. This has been the biggest change, I think.

There have been some awesome posters over the years. I don’t know where they’ve gone, but it was a rodeo on this site for a long time. When the other forums started popping up, things really changed, as did the posting demographic. 

I’ve never met anyone off of here, but I know a few posters from hockey and work. I enjoy reading about fellow posters and have also enjoyed watching their differing opinions evolve over time. It’s been a source of cheap entertainment.

I first came here 20 years ago looking for hockey news and now I’m reading your(s) quasi bios in forums like this. Change is good. 

On 6/25/2018 at 6:24 AM, drummerboy said:

I creeped the boards for a couple years before joining in 2008. 

Its been a long 10 years, and I love the boards.   

You mean you aren't Larry David?!

I'd say mean things about your mom but I'm sure she's a nice lady.

Archived