The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now and then: CDC

-AJ-

I was thinking about how long I've been on CDC for and how much it has persevered throughout many years of my life now. I've been on CDC and a lot has changed since I first joined.

I joined CDC in July 2010. Back then, I was 17 and had just finished grade 11. I had just picked up my first job that would eventually last a while, a job as a janitor at an Elementary school to the high school I was attending. Since then, I graduated high school, began a BBA degree at at university, and completed it, taking 5.5 years to do so. I now work full-time as an accountant and just turned 25 a couple months ago. I recently started the CPA education program and am looking to move out on my own soon.

How about you? Some of you have been on here for less time than me, but a lot can change in a few short years. Some of you have been here even longer than I, so I imagine your lives are quite different now.

I've been working the same purchasing job for the same company since I joined CDC in 2011.

At that point in my life my son was 18mo old and I had started to come to terms with not going out to the pub / going to a friends and talking hockey over a few beers. I missed talking hockey with the boys and needed it as bad as the wife and little guy needed me at home. So I started weighing in via text.

What's changed? Not my job, yet... I'm getting bored, have been looking at postings and noticing a lot of need for my skills, but the only ones that pay better are in industries I really don't see as exciting. I'm sure a bunch will start popping up in the new world of weed, and that might be fun. But I do enjoy my industry and purchasing can actually be very rewarding in a number of ways.

Since 2011, we bought a house and had another kid. I have almost no social life except a small group of "friends with kids" and a very old friend I've known since daycare who bought a house a block away, I drop by unannounced on my way home from work to crush a beer, regularly. And my brother.... I don't see enough of him.

I need CDC badly considering the folks I work with are fans as follows - 3x Habs, 2x Moldy Losers, 1x Sens, 1x Jets...

I joined in 2006.

I was in highschool at the time and ended up coming down with an extremely uncommon case of servere pneumonia. I went from being a very active and fit teenager to a complete shut in due to my illness. I missed almost 4 months of school because of severe fatigue and compromised immune system. I found solace with a strange group of canucks fans, that became like a family to me. I spent a ton of time here in white noise in the late night talk thread. I actually owe alot to CDC for that reason. If it wasn't for this website and a mild Runescape addiction I don't know how I would have gotten through those several months of my life. 

Since high school a ton has changed for me (obviously). I went to university to do something I ended up hating. Worked a deadend job trying to figure out my life. Adopted a cat. I moved away to a new city to attend a college for my new career. Adopted another cat since my last cat stayed at home with my parents. Now I have a flourishing practice and love what I do (see the professional people toucher topic for more information)

Things turned out great for me.

Wow, over ten years...really?  Just realized that.

My life has changed dramatically since coming on board.

I was fairly new to the internet back then...I mean, I dabbled but it was mostly music and online poker.  Then, one day when he was done with it, my son suggested I come here (we tended to respect each other's space and steer clear...no teenager wants to hang out with "Mom").  No turning back....LOVED it!  Haha, had just come off a permaban from the CFL site...their mods are, um, special...learned how NOT to do it via their actions.  Banned all my friends from other teams, so I went out with a bang and told them exactly what I thought.  Which is why I try to be a bit more lenient and understand that people have "moments"...I certainly do so try to keep that in mind.  Last time I checked on the CFL forums I think they were down to 7 or so members....5 of which were mods.

FTR, my son met his fiance here...they will be married in June.  And I've met some really great friends here.

I'd just lost my Mom to brain cancer when I arrived on the scene here...was so good to have this place in the wee hours when the walls closed in.  Many up's and downs have been experienced with the support of this place propping me up. 

I came on board with a bang...POETRY!  Oh yeah, I'm a winner.  Because all hockey fans need a poem in their life.   Got flamed, rightfully so.

Can't imagine ever leaving here...feels like home.  Sort of like the Cheers gang meets WWE.  Something like that.... Love y'all & feel grateful to be here.  Might write a poem about it....

Been on since 2005. Was 23 at the time. About to turn 36.

Moved from Langley shortly after joining in 2005 back to Manitoba with the wife. Had our first child (daughter) back in October 2016.

Changed jobs several times. Was really loving my job for the last 2 years, up until the last 4 months, as there is a lot of uncertainty in the company. Morale throughout is very, very low. Everyone has their ears to the ground. Very demoralizing.

my first run was back in 2006. i just dropped out of high school, i was going nowhere, and i hung out with a bad crowd and did some questionable things (who doesn't when they're young). I spent pretty much all day on here, to where people making fun of vintage now, it was even worse back then D: I rarely ever went out, and if i did it was to do drugs and couch hop at friends' places. all the while my parents didn't know what was going on. i felt so bad for them, but at the time i felt i was at a point of no return. i was a loser. plain and simple. there was a point where i wasn't at home for pretty much all of 2006 because i was just in a bad place

it wasn't until i got myself banned in '08 when i thought about doing something with my life. So i started volunteering at the burnaby hospice thrift store, that place near edmonds. I did that gig for a few months and when i went out to look for my first job, they said i can use them as references because they liked my work ethic (something i didn't think id ever have have) then at the end of '08, at 20 years old, trying to get clean, i had my first job and never looked back. i got cleaned up in 2009 and was about to move out on my own

fast forward a couple years and i come back in 2011, i was in a much better place than i was 4-5 years ago. now, its been almost 7 years and ive just kept going up year after year and im in a good place. looking back, it is sort of sad how much of the original krew who rode with me back in my first run are all gone but ive met some pretty incredible people in this new generation, i guess i would call it, of this board and being part of the evolution is pretty rad

i know theres a lot more to say but i dont wanna bore you guys with a life story :3

I originally joined in 2004 when I was attending junior high school. As a young and immature poster on this forum, my original account was banned (all I did was repeatedly say "Linden sucks" in a thread :lol:) and I rejoined with this account in 2006. I've been on CDC for a total of 14 years, which is over half the time that I've been on this planet.

Since I've been posting on this forum, I've finished high-school, university, and I've gotten engaged in recent months (tying the knot in 2019). I have basically "grown up" here. I would consider myself a die-hard Canucks fan, so I love to come on here every day to not only kill time, but keep up to date on everything that goes on with this team. I find a lot of enjoyment reading posts, contributing to all the different threads, and sharing the same passion that most of us have for the Canucks. Of course, I also enjoy the occasional absurd post from young members on the board, which reminds me of how I used to be when I first started posting on this forum (not that I've changed too much).

Oh yeah.. and somehow when CDC switched to a new forum style in 2015 or so, I lost 6000+ posts...

Wow, so much has happened in my life since I joined the boards because I joined in April of 2003!!!

- I was 17 (wow) and it was playoff hockey, joined JUST because there was a trash talk forum where you could go and banter with Wild or Blues fans! It was great!

- Dated a couple girls from the forums, we used to have White Noise meets, so it wasn't exactly out of the ordinary!

- I took a year of trades school at UCFV in Abbotsford in 2005.

- Joined the Army in 2006.

- Moved all around Canada for my job, didn't post as much during the 2006-2007 time frame but lurked.

- Even since bouncing around with careers, i've usually checked CDC daily.

- Pretty cool being able to give back to the community as a mod (I don't really do much besides pin some topics or the odd user report) but I wear it with a badge of honor, i've been around these forums for multiple platform/color scheme/design changes...feel like an old man around here now!

Don't know why I did it all in point form, probably because I was so sick of writing proper essays!

A picture of me at 17 I posted on these forums: Hahahaha....I miss my hair!

tmTqh66.jpg

Picture of Myself with 2 other forum members who probably don't post anymore, and if they do, they have alts! This was the day before I signed the dotted line:

mjkqWV5.jpg

A picture of me at 32...a few mornings ago: Aged like a fine box of wine.

nZCxrob.jpg

I have spent almost half of my life as a member on these forums, I find that a little sad...but also cool even though it's nerdy. F off...i'm a nerd.

Edit: Sorry about the non-censored man nipples.

Hmmmm, I think it was right after the Hawks-Canucks line brawl at the United Center in 2009 that I decided to stop by and see what the Vancouver fans were saying about the fight.  Needless to say, most of you guys were talking so bat s@*& crazy I couldn't stop laughing....

....aaaaaaannnnnnddddd, I've been coming back ever since.

I came here out of sheer boredom at work.  One of the few sites that wasn't blocked on the work pc and posted mostly in the NHL15 thread back when OTP was enjoyable.  Not much has changed since 2013, still bored!

Hated computers, but finally gave in and got an iPad.  (wife insisted) Searched up "hockey trade rumors Canucks".  Found this site.  Tried to join, but couldn't figure out how.  Got son (he's a teacher) to sign me up.  Only been here a short while, but really miss every poster who we don't have any more:(    Love the hockey talk, and other forums' chatter too. Found out, over time, people can be nasty to one another on the Internet.  I had no clue people would be like that.  Find that sad.:(  

On 2018-05-01 at 12:25 PM, diesel_3 said:

Wow, so much has happened in my life since I joined the boards because I joined in April of 2003!!!

- I was 17 (wow) and it was playoff hockey, joined JUST because there was a trash talk forum where you could go and banter with Wild or Blues fans! It was great!

- Dated a couple girls from the forums, we used to have White Noise meets, so it wasn't exactly out of the ordinary!

- I took a year of trades school at UCFV in Abbotsford in 2005.

- Joined the Army in 2006.

- Moved all around Canada for my job, didn't post as much during the 2006-2007 time frame but lurked.

- Even since bouncing around with careers, i've usually checked CDC daily.

- Pretty cool being able to give back to the community as a mod (I don't really do much besides pin some topics or the odd user report) but I wear it with a badge of honor, i've been around these forums for multiple platform/color scheme/design changes...feel like an old man around here now!

Don't know why I did it all in point form, probably because I was so sick of writing proper essays!

A picture of me at 17 I posted on these forums: Hahahaha....I miss my hair!

tmTqh66.jpg

Picture of Myself with 2 other forum members who probably don't post anymore, and if they do, they have alts! This was the day before I signed the dotted line:

mjkqWV5.jpg

A picture of me at 32...a few mornings ago: Aged like a fine box of wine.

nZCxrob.jpg

I have spent almost half of my life as a member on these forums, I find that a little sad...but also cool even though it's nerdy. F off...i'm a nerd.

Edit: Sorry about the non-censored man nipples.

Yes...White Noise Meats. Is that BB44?  I know the girls real name(don't want to say on here) but can't remember her forum name.  I think it was Canucks0327437 or something like that. 

I joined in 2003 back when I was 23. No idea the reasoning for joining, probably just to discuss Canucks hockey with people. If twitter was around back then I wonder if I'm as active on here as I was back then. 

Like diesel, I also attended a couple WN meets and even met diesel at one of them.  White Noise became very popular back in the day, but they had to shut it down. So someone made a website called towelpower.net and a whole bunch of us merged to that site. It lasted a few years, but a lot of those guys on there I still keep in touch with and in fact about 13 of us have been doing a keeper hockey pool for about 10 years now. And meet up sometimes for drinks. 

Oh and in this time I had multiple

jobs, multiple girlfriends, but have now had the same job for 12 years and marrried for 9 years. 

I made this account in 2009 but I spent a couple years just checking the thread titles on the front page of CDC and read as much as I could. That was before I discovered there were more threads and an entire forum, eventually I figured it out and sheepishly made an account. I hadn't been out of high school long and was making my way in the work force and just trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I'm still doing both of those things really.

I post a decent amount but I've always been more of a lurker, especially in the trades/around the NHL/prospect sections. There have been some really knowledgeable posters who've come, gone and even stuck around. I've got a lot of respect for em, I simply don't have the time to dig in to things the way some posters around here do so I appreciate their content. I haven't made any friends or anything really, but I appreciate the personalities kicking around CDC and I've had a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, gmen81 said:

Yes...White Noise Meats. Is that BB44?  I know the girls real name(don't want to say on here) but can't remember her forum name.  I think it was Canucks0327437 or something like that. 

Haha no, that was Terry (real name) and I honestly cannot remember his username.

Ya, she went by canucksfan with a bunch of random numbers then in the WN days she changed it to cfnumbers, I believe.

I remember the Cambie meat! that was a fun night! We met at another one in PoCo at the Foggy Dew (I think it was called that?)

Joined in 2003 but did not post much back then.  Did the majority of my posting on DarkVancouver as I'm a one message board kind of guy.  As Facebook gained popularity, the DarkVancouver forum died as most of the community pretty much moved there (yeah, it's on my list of grievances against Facebook...still not on there).  I was left homeless (forum-wise) so dusted off the account here.  Not sure when that was exactly, I'd guess 2008ish.  But even then I didn't post as much as I do now.  As I've stopped gaming and tv has gotten less interesting, CDC takes up more and more of my screen time.  I'm alright with that, it's a decent and interesting community here.  It also gives me a forum to vent my post-Canuck loss hockey angst (my wife much appreciates that one :P ).

23 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Haha no, that was Terry (real name) and I honestly cannot remember his username.

Ya, she went by canucksfan with a bunch of random numbers then in the WN days she changed it to cfnumbers, I believe.

I remember the Cambie meat! that was a fun night! We met at another one in PoCo at the Foggy Dew (I think it was called that?)

Nucklehead11. 

I posted the pic in our whatsapp group asking if anyone knows he was and he was like OmG that's me. 

Archived