The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Goldobin for Emil Pettersson

After watching Goldobin in the playoffs vs the Marlies I can see why he is so out of favour with coaches. He has a tonne of skill but no hustle to his game and even at the AHL level is invisible 5 on 5, even though he picks up a point per game based on his high skill level. 

Elias' brother Emil was a 6th round pick by the Predators. He is a little bit older at 24 but looks to be NHL ready. He lead the Milwaukee Admirals in points and was a point per game with Vaxjo in the SEL. 

Goldobin is younger with higher upside but Emil would bring us more centre depth and it could be great for Elias having his older brother in town. Emil is a fast skater can strong passer, but lacks in physical play. Could be worth taking a chance on in a relatively minor trade. 

Green has to learn what button pisses Goldy off, and when he does, keep pushing it. Then he will turn into something special. He does seem to rely a bit too much on his skill. He needs to develop that desire and willingness to 'drive' the play. Baer learned to play with more edge to his game, hopefully Goldy will as well. We know Larionov is his agent and seems to have a dialogue with him about what it takes. Igor is as good as anyone to mentor him, so hopefully its just a bit of patience we need. I do think next year is a big year for him, to show if he's serious about being a top 6 NHLer or not

7 hours ago, EuroCanuck said:

Green has to learn what button pisses Goldy off, and when he does, keep pushing it. Then he will turn into something special. He does seem to rely a bit too much on his skill. He needs to develop that desire and willingness to 'drive' the play. Baer learned to play with more edge to his game, hopefully Goldy will as well. We know Larionov is his agent and seems to have a dialogue with him about what it takes. Igor is as good as anyone to mentor him, so hopefully its just a bit of patience we need. I do think next year is a big year for him, to show if he's serious about being a top 6 NHLer or not

It may be unfair to compare Nylander to Goldobin but watching Nylander in the AHL he was all over the ice. We've seen how lackluster Goldy can be in the NHL but one would expect him to be competent in a lower level league, especially game 7 in the playoffs. He has good hands, but just no drive whatsoever. I can't figure out if he is a slow skater or he just never really pushes himself. He was pretty good on the power play but 5 on 5 completely invisible. I expect him to likely bolt mid-season like Burmistrov, I just don't see him developing into a top 6 player. At least bringing in Emil he provides an option at centre. 

Dahlen didn't have a great game but his speed and drive was much more evident. Out of the three games I watched Golodbin was decent in game 2. 

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let me guess, after this trade we swap Virt to Wpg for Tanev because it would be great for Chris to have his brother in town? 

I like Virtanen's game, would never do that trade. 

14 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

After watching Goldobin in the playoffs vs the Marlies I can see why he is so out of favour with coaches. He has a tonne of skill but no hustle to his game and even at the AHL level is invisible 5 on 5, even though he picks up a point per game based on his high skill level. 

Elias' brother Emil was a 6th round pick by the Predators. He is a little bit older at 24 but looks to be NHL ready. He lead the Milwaukee Admirals in points and was a point per game with Vaxjo in the SEL. 

Goldobin is younger with higher upside but Emil would bring us more centre depth and it could be great for Elias having his older brother in town. Emil is a fast skater can strong passer, but lacks in physical play. Could be worth taking a chance on in a relatively minor trade. 

Hard pass.   Goldy needs to work on consistency but has an elite skill set.  The series against the Marlies is an unfair window given he was injured.   Goldy showed more bite and effort the last 20 games of the year in general until getting injured and then road it out best he could.   Not seeing what this guy can do under a more competitive camp would be a big error.

He has all the tools to be a perennial 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL and those don't grow on trees.   To not evaluate him at least one more year would be poor asset management UNLESS he is used to get another high end prospect.

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Goldobin - I expect him to likely bolt mid-season like Burmistrov

OK, will see next season whether you are right or we trust what the player and his agent stated end of this season (he is committed to making it in NHL).

Let's check back in mid-season.

I don't hate going after Pettersson, would be cool to have the two Pettersson brothers on the Canucks. I wonder if there's a way to deal a lesser prospect for Pettersson. Maybe Motte + LaPlante for Pettersson instead?

Nashville has no interest in Goldobin - they are a playoff team.  

Also they would not be trading a C out without getting one in return.  They traded away Kamenev, Edjsell and Trenin is apparently headed to the KHL.  They are now low on Cs in their system.

19 hours ago, EuroCanuck said:

Great post, I agree that he needs to put some urgency in his game and have complained about his lazy line changes a few times and will again, the other guy is waiting with his leg over the boards while he comes floating over regardless of what's going on, on the ice, sometimes thirty feet away and if he burned his way to the bench the other guy could join the rush or make it back to break up a play.  It bugs me.  Irks me.  What has he done in this league that lets him get away with doing that and why isn't the coach or another player calling him out on this?  It makes him seem entitled, lazy and selfish.   There are boat loads of other players that would do anything to play in the NHL, until he's a proven player he should be giving everything he's got until he's made it.  And then keep it up.

Next year if this continues I'd be surprised if they don't demote him, possibly for good, of trade him for anyone including what the OP suggests, he hasn't made it yet, and there are too many guys below him dying for their chances, of which he's had plenty already.

On 2018-05-13 at 8:38 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Hard pass.   Goldy needs to work on consistency but has an elite skill set.  The series against the Marlies is an unfair window given he was injured.   Goldy showed more bite and effort the last 20 games of the year in general until getting injured and then road it out best he could.   Not seeing what this guy can do under a more competitive camp would be a big error.

He has all the tools to be a perennial 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL and those don't grow on trees.   To not evaluate him at least one more year would be poor asset management UNLESS he is used to get another high end prospect.

Good luck with that.

Archived