The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Markus Granlund, 1 year x 1.475

It is going to be a game of which bottom 6 guy doesn't make the roster unless a couple of these guys get moved out.

Nice deal though, won't scare anyone away if he is made part of a trade package.  I bet his camp would like to get moved out rather than be used in a checking only role again in a contract year.

Cheapest 2C in the NHL!!!

Leipsic Horvat Boeser

Petterrsson Granlund Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Motte

Eriksson Richardson/Beagle Gagner

Goldobin Gaudette

I'd enjoy watching that lineup.  Might not expect short term results, but....

38.2% ozone starts last year.

primarily with Sutter, Gaunce, Eriksson, Dowd....

clearly spent most of the season in a matchup/shutdown role.

Second most penalty killing minutes among forwards (next to Sutter).

still, had a very respectable 46% corsi

+14 turnover differential

2.4 on ice 5on5 goals against per 60 was also pretty solid in that role.

Love his versatility.

Don't read too much into his production last year.

Valuable guy whether it's in a bottom six role, and if he moves up the lineup and gets some opportunities with a skilled youth line perhaps his production spikes again.

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Now if he could be flipped for a second rounder, that'd be great. I like him but I'd like another 2nd rounder more. And he must be worth more now than when we traded for him.

Why so we can draft a guy who in 2-4 years MIGHT become Markus Granlund? 

Good deal for Granlund.  I'm not sure if I see him in the top 6 next season but he's a very versatile player.

As a matter of discussion, I know Green played him at center last season but he has never really struck me as a center.  Where do you guys see Granlund fitting into the roster next season (based on the current roster)? 

To me, Granlund seems like a guy who would fit well with Sutter as a two-way forward but it also seems like a waste as Sutter gets so many d-zone starts that it would presumably limit Granlund's production (I'm of the mind that he can at least match his totals from 2 seasons ago).  I personally see Granlund as a winger playing in a bottom 9 role but provided with more o-zone starts on a responsible 2-way line (instead of on a shutdown line) but then the Canucks aren't exactly stocked with solid centers right now.  Perhaps a Granlund-Gaudette-RW line might work (assuming Gaudette makes the team but I'm of the mind that he'll start in Utica).

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Good deal for Granlund.  I'm not sure if I see him in the top 6 next season but he's a very versatile player.

As a matter of discussion, I know Green played him at center last season but he has never really struck me as a center.  Where do you guys see Granlund fitting into the roster next season (based on the current roster)? 

To me, Granlund seems like a guy who would fit well with Sutter as a two-way forward but it also seems like a waste as Sutter gets so many d-zone starts that it would presumably limit Granlund's production (I'm of the mind that he can at least match his totals from 2 seasons ago).  I personally see Granlund as a winger playing in a bottom 9 role but provided with more o-zone starts on a responsible 2-way line (instead of on a shutdown line) but then the Canucks aren't exactly stocked with solid centers right now.  Perhaps a Granlund-Gaudette-RW line might work (assuming Gaudette makes the team but I'm of the mind that he'll start in Utica).

I think the only thing that holds him back from centering a line would be his small sample faceoff numbers.

And the fact the team had Sedin, Horvat, Sutter and some 4th line Cs in the past few years.

But he has great vision, is a good playmaker, solid and low center of gravity / able to battle down low and on the boards....I think these past few seasons of frequent shutdown minutes may have helped develop him into a viable center, more able to handle the defensive duties of that role. 

If he were centering a more skilled line he'd also be defending with less frequency.  With the lineup they presently have that's where I'd try him, with a heavier, solid defensive young winger like Virtanen - it would be interesting to see what they could do with more opportunities, particularly if they had a highly skilled winger like Pettersson to round out that line.

On the other hand, if they acquire or sign a middle six center, he remains very versatile and worth every cent of that contract even if his production remains muted and he fills a shutdown role.

This guy is underrated from my perspective.  Has always been a point producer at every level would like to see him given an opportunity to play with some skilled wingers.  I think he has earned the opportunity.  William Karlsson flourished so you never know.

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Not unless you expect a defenceman to become Markus Granlund

Sorry might become Michael Del Zotto or Taylor Ellington... I'll keep Granlund at this steal of a deal especially since we are already depleted at Centre.

14 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

He had a tough year with injuries and played with some pretty meh players,

Really excited to see him turn it around, and this contract is a steal!

Plus he was on his way to a 25 goal season the year before, but was shut down with a wrist injury late in the season. Good third line player, but can move up and down the lineup and play any role. Contract is a steal...

Archived