The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Markus Granlund, 1 year x 1.475

45 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Capfriendly shows him as an RFA at the end of his contract, but makes it clear they do not have all the contract details.

Yeah, he should finish this deal at age 26 and with six NHL years. So one year away from being a 27/7 UFA (Group 3).

Gives the Canucks (or whoever holds his rights next year) a measure of control for the next extension.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he should finish this deal at age 26 and with six NHL years. So one year away from being a 27/7 UFA (Group 3).

Gives the Canucks (or whoever holds his rights next year) a measure of control for the next extension.

That's great news. Probably the best thing that will happen to the Canucks today.

Wait.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

God damn your fast lol. Great signing a show me deal. I approve.

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Woah, someone actually beat VC to a signing.

Anyway, nothing to nitpick here. Probably as reasonable a contract as you could give him.

tenor.gif

I’m really not trying to be negative here, but do you recall two seasons ago when he was at 19 goals. He came into the next game and played like an absolute beast. He dominated the game and got an insane amount of shots off. Unfortunately he just fell short of 20 goals. 

It then came out the next day that he knew his season was being shut down for a surgery, and that had he’d reached the 20 goal mark he would’ve gotten a substantial bonus. 

What bothers me about this is just how good he showed he can be when he really wants to. If we could somehow keep him motivated like he was on that night then he would be a fantastic player. 

12 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

I’m really not trying to be negative here, but do you recall two seasons ago when he was at 19 goals. He came into What bothers me about this is just how good he showed he can be when he really wants to. If we could somehow keep him motivated like he was on that night then he would be a fantastic player. 

How motivated can you be plugging away on the third/fourth line with the likes of Loui, Gaunce, and Sutter? Those guys are offensive black holes and leave no room for creativity. He looked good with Dorse, too bad the man had to retire. They still had hope then.

3 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

How motivated can you be plugging away on the third/fourth line with the likes of Loui, Gaunce, and Sutter? Those guys are offensive black holes and leave no room for creativity. He looked good with Dorse, too bad the man had to retire. They still had hope then.

Good point. 

22 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if they want him to score more, they have to put him onto a scoring line with a playmaker who can get him the puck, same with ericksson.  maybe those two, flanking pettersson.

Last season Green said he told Markus he doesn't see him as a top-6 player.  That being said, he was still 6th in average TOI amongst forwards.  So even though he has offensive upside, for now it looks like he'll have to work his significant versatility.  But once we start getting more offensive depth into the bottom-6, we could certainly see his output increase again.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Why so we can draft a guy who in 2-4 years MIGHT become Markus Granlund? 

exactly

this obsession with accumulating draft picks

is somewhat baffling

people refuse to accept and recognize

the huge failure rate among draft picks

they simply expect each and every pick to work out

and excel ..

so unrealistic

the old saying of

a bird in hand

is worth 2 in the bush

really does apply to viewing established talent

versus potential draft talent

Need to find a way to give him a chance in the top six. Ya he's a good defensive forward but he has untapped offensive talent. He is a very, very smart player. I watch him intently when he's on the ice and I would argue he's the smartest player on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Actually a great signing, solid price show me deal possible sign and trade or possible gateway to a longer term deal if he shows he's worth it

Kinda hope this is a precursor to moving him, either solo or more likely as part of a package. That salary is pretty nice, easily affordable by basically any club, and provides a bit of an incentive.

Archived