The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Shout out to all the chicken littles who actually believe that there is even a remote chance in hell that quintin hughes stays in college for 3 MORE YEARS in order to leave college a ufa.

He literally has said nothing but good things and has expressed nothing but excitement about joining the canucks. John Weisbrod was literally in the room when he was born. You really think he going to stay in college for 3 MORE YEARS so he can turn his back on a family friend and a team that coveted him and aligns themselves with whats best for his long term development? Yall crazy fam.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Or maybe Trevor actually knows from first hand the kind of pressure it could have on an 18 year old rookie, where a market has high expectations and is trying to protect a kid from being rushed into a situation that he isn't ready for.

You’re off message.

Let me help you get back on track with the narrative. ;) 

It’s not that Linden felt Hughes needed another year of college and didn’t want to rush our best defenseman prospect in decades (possibly in franchise history). TL’s true motivation was holding back the rebuild. It’s not like Q’s development might actually be helped by going back to Michigan for a year. It’s about TL wanting to delay Vancouver’s return to respectability.

Linden also apparently supported re-signing Edler. This was 100% about blocking the kids on our D corps.

This was not about potentially retaining a key veteran leader for our young group. Or about showing loyalty to a career Canuck who’s been one of the best Ds in franchise history. Proper rebuilding would be to part ways with Edler (even though he’s arguably still our #1D). Let Edler walk. And maybe then we can sign a couple of older free agent bottom pairing Ds (ideally to long term contracts with NTCs) next summer to accelerate the rebuild.

Clearly Linden (who, at least publicly, has been the most vocal proponent within the Canucks organization the past few years of committing to a rebuild, going young, and building through the draft), was trying to block JB and ownership from accelerating the rebuild.

That’s why Trev repeatedly talked about letting our young NHLers take on greater roles next season and just letting the kids play and fill the open spots vacated by the exiting veterans.

That’s why TL cautioned against free agency and seemed against the idea of committing roster spots, salary, and term to acquiring more older players.

Clearly Trev wasn’t supportive of the rebuild.

I mean, it would seem that Linden couldn’t get on board with even the most obvious rebuilding moves (like signing a 32-year-old 4th line centre on a 4 year m-NTC, possibly forcing Gaudette off the roster and down to Utica, adding more depth free agents, and possibly waiving guys like Gaunce and Leipsic to accommodate). 

So as you can see, Linden was the issue.

And removing him will likely solve all our problems.

Heck, it’s probably fair to say that everything that’s gone wrong the past several years was because of Trev. And everything that’s gone right was because of the management team that remains (and the steady guiding hand of ownership).

So thank goodness TL is gone.

Now we can see finally ownership and management freed up to truly focus on building the future roster, committing to the youth movement, and accelerating the rebuild. 

The future is now.

Happy days are here again!

(This post is very much tongue-in-cheek. It’s meant to be about narrative. I’m not really upset about Trev leaving. And I don’t really have any major issues with the current regime. I actually think this team is building toward something good. I just have a problem with some of the scapegoating this week. Seems just a little too convenient for me the way some CDCers want to lay all the blame at TL’s feet just as he’s on his way out the door. Especially when so many CDCers have previously attempted to stifle any criticism of management. Many of them would have gone to the mat for Linden on nearly any argument just a week or two ago. I just don’t like seeing Trev becoming persona non grata so quickly, especially from the regime loyalist posters. Seems just a tad hypocritical to me.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Also, this is definitely the better move. I dont know how people were so convinced he was ready for the league. Sure, he has all-time wheels and skill, but watching his college highlights you can see him get pushed off the puck and lose board battles more than you'd want him to. He is often able to overcome his stature with a good stick and agility, but not often enough. He would had perfomed ok in the nhl but ultimately would have disappointed a lot of you based on what your expectations were. Dont get me wrong, kids gonna be elite, just not at 18.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

Boeser was tired after 5 preseason games, and yet through the other 60 games was fine. Huh! Maybe he just was not the most dominant player on the ice for one game, and Green with his unrealistic expectations sided with the vet like I said.

Well, Boeser certainly proved himself, didn't he?

He was not "gifted" minutes. He earned them. It's not like his points were stolen from a dominant line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Well, Boeser certainly proved himself, didn't he?

He was not "gifted" minutes. He earned them. It's not like his points were stolen from a dominant line.

Boeser also stated in an interview that the extra year he went to collage was a huge help to him to mature physically. I think Hughes signs after NCAA season Is over. Tons of time to mature physically, work out, and play in Vancouver for the US junior team. 

It also works out better for Vancouver. Give OJ a chance that he deserves as well as move pieces by trade deadline. 

It's literally a win win. 

Edited by Analyst82
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So far everyone seems to be okay with Hughes taking another year in college, myself included. Sure it would be nice to see our shiny new toy, but I really think it's best for him. 

I expect the backlash from the expected bone heads anytime now, surely they're almost done sleeping off last nights no no juice. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Boeser also stated in an interview that the extra year he went to collage was a huge help to him to mature physically. I think Hughes signs after NCAA season Is over. Tons of time to mature physically, work out, and play in Vancouver for the US junior team. 

It also works out better for Vancouver. Give OJ a chance that he deserves as well as love pieces by trade deadline. 

It's literally a win win. 

"Love-pieces at the TDL"?! You had me at Hello, then went all lewd & inappropriate! :^)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You’re off message.

Let me help you get back on track with the narrative. ;) 

It’s not that Linden felt Hughes needed another year of college and didn’t want to rush our best defenseman prospect in decades (possibly in franchise history). TL’s true motivation was holding back the rebuild. It’s not like Q’s development might actually be helped by going back to Michigan for a year. It’s about TL wanting to delay Vancouver’s return to respectability.

Linden also apparently supported re-signing Edler. This was 100% about blocking the kids on our D corps.

This was not about potentially retaining a key veteran leader for our young group. Or about showing loyalty to a career Canuck who’s been one of the best Ds in franchise history. Proper rebuilding would be to part ways with Edler (even though he’s arguably still our #1D). Let Edler walk. And maybe then we can sign a couple of older free agent bottom pairing Ds (ideally to long term contracts with NTCs) next summer to accelerate the rebuild.

Clearly Linden (who, at least publicly, has been the most vocal proponent within the Canucks organization the past few years of committing to a rebuild, going young, and building through the draft), was trying to block JB and ownership from accelerating the rebuild.

That’s why Trev repeatedly talked about letting our young NHLers take on greater roles next season and just letting the kids play and fill the open spots vacated by the exiting veterans.

That’s why TL cautioned against free agency and seemed against the idea of committing roster spots, salary, and term to acquiring more older players.

Clearly Trev wasn’t supportive of the rebuild.

I mean, it would seem that Linden couldn’t get on board with even the most obvious rebuilding moves (like signing a 32-year-old 4th line centre on a 4 year m-NTC, possibly forcing Gaudette off the roster and down to Utica, adding more depth free agents, and possibly waiving guys like Gaunce and Leipsic to accommodate). 

So as you can see, Linden was the issue.

And removing him will likely solve all our problems.

Heck, it’s probably fair to say that everything that’s gone wrong the past several years was because of Trev. And everything that’s gone right was because of the management team that remains (and the steady guiding hand of ownership).

So thank goodness TL is gone.

Now we can see finally ownership and management freed up to truly focus on building the future roster, committing to the youth movement, and accelerating the rebuild. 

The future is now.

Happy days are here again!

(This post is very much tongue-in-cheek. It’s meant to be about narrative. I’m not really upset about Trev leaving. And I don’t really have any major issues with the current regime. I actually think this team is building toward something good. I just have a problem with some of the scapegoating this week. Seems just a little too convenient for me the way some CDCers want to lay all the blame at TL’s feet just as he’s on his way out the door. Especially when so many CDCers have previously attempted to stifle any criticism of management. Many of them would have gone to the mat for Linden on nearly any argument just a week or two ago. I just don’t like seeing Trev becoming persona non grata so quickly, especially from the regime loyalist posters. Seems just a tad hypocritical to me.)

There will always be a scapegoat on the CDC. Never really believed that the ‘team president’ was anymore than a figurehead position, kinda like the governed general. The GM makes all the big decisions and ownership can fire whomever they want, so find another former player and make them the president and move on. 

Don't hate this.

1) Hughes gets to keep developing. Though he has the skills, he needs to add a bit of muscle. Another year of NCAA hockey will let him bulk up.

2) He has a chance to make a run for the Hobey Baker. It'll probably come down to him or his brother winning it this year.

3) He gets to play a year with his brother. He clearly was excited about this at the draft and now it becomes a reality.

4) Now this opens up a spot for Juolevi (the forgotten man) to earn a spot on the team. Hughes will debut in March if he doesn't win it all in the NCAA this year.

5) He's following Zach Wesinewski's development track and that's not a bad thing at all.

6) Gives the Canucks some time to get rid of a defenseman or two from this lineup by March.

7) Short term pain for long term pain... no need to rush him. We've got other exciting prospects to pass the time.

Excited to see Hughes rip it up in the NCAA this coming season!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 8:14 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Do not be so naive. Of course his coach doesn’t want him gone, he’s a phenomenal player and without him Michigan will be less good. It’s just like Pettersson and the Vajxo coach who said he should go back, it’s just to save their own skin and keep their team’s best players. Pettersson’s WC coach and WJC coaches said he’d be in the nhl the next year, and all the analysts agree, and it’s the same situation for Hughes. Don’t be blinded by a coach’s desperation to latch on to their best players in order to keep their jobs. 

Clearly he agrees with his coach because he decided to go back.

It's the right decision.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Don't hate this.

1) Hughes gets to keep developing. Though he has the skills, he needs to add a bit of muscle. Another year of NCAA hockey will let him bulk up.

2) He has a chance to make a run for the Hobey Baker. It'll probably come down to him or his brother winning it this year.

3) He gets to play a year with his brother. He clearly was excited about this at the draft and now it becomes a reality.

4) Now this opens up a spot for Juolevi (the forgotten man) to earn a spot on the team. Hughes will debut in March if he doesn't win it all in the NCAA this year.

5) He's following Zach Wesinewski's development track and that's not a bad thing at all.

6) Gives the Canucks some time to get rid of a defenseman or two from this lineup by March.

7) Short term pain for long term pain... no need to rush him. We've got other exciting prospects to pass the time.

Excited to see Hughes rip it up in the NCAA this coming season!

On number 3 Jack already announced that he is not going to Michigan this year and will play for the US National Development Team instead.

But I agree that this is the best possible decision for Quinn.  At 18 and undersized let him have another year to physically mature before going through the grind of a full NHL season.

• Upvote 2