The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

When you have Elias you don't need Jack!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to lotto in to a 2nd Hughes and yes, BPA if we're there but we need D and a skilled LW with size more than another small, (elite) skilled C.

All it would likely mean is trading one of our top C's for a likely1D anyway. And who do you move/keep of Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes...?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Would it be considered tampering if Quinn convinced Jack to tank for us? I just can't see us tanking for him working out lol

GM Interview Question "Jack, you seem a bit tired today - a bit nervous and that kept you up?"

Jack to GM "Nah, not nervous.   It was your daughter that kept me up after your wife was finally asleep"

That would get him to fall in the draft.    

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

GM Interview Question "Jack, you seem a bit tired today - a bit nervous and that kept you up?"

Jack to GM "Nah, not nervous.   It was your daughter that kept me up after your wife was finally asleep"

I wonder how often kids tank their draft interviews for teams they don't like? I still think Tkachuck purposely tanked his interview with Benning. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Honestly, Jack could probably pull it off if he REALLY wanted to play with his brother. He’s too highly touted for him to go undrafted, albeit a joke, not the craziest thing thrown around here. 

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't get me wrong I'd love to lotto in to a 2nd Hughes and yes, BPA if we're there but we need D and a skilled LW with size more than another small, (elite) skilled C.

All it would likely mean is trading one of our top C's for a likely1D anyway. And who do you move/keep of Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes...?

if we've learned anything from the recent drafts its that GMs can be unpredictable. Even if we get lucky again and say pick 5th, someone takes Byram at 2nd, and other GMs go off the board and we get Jack anyway. 

Agree tho that D is what we need. From the scouting reports so far I don't think there's a "Dahlin" in this draft that can step right into the lineup, but maybe in a year or two. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we've learned anything from the recent drafts its that GMs can be unpredictable. Even if we get lucky again and say pick 5th, someone takes Byram at 2nd, and other GMs go off the board and we get Jack anyway. 

Agree tho that D is what we need. From the scouting reports so far I don't think there's a "Dahlin" in this draft that can step right into the lineup, but maybe in a year or two. 

ALl Jack has to do is say that he plays with his brother or will hold out until he is traded. Not going to happen but if the long shot lottery doesn't work it can be PLan #2!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder how often kids tank their draft interviews for teams they don't like? I still think Tkachuck purposely tanked his interview with Benning. 

While I do like conspiracy theories, I don't believe at all these young men would tank an interview. There are literally millions of dollars on the line and they are very competitive people to begin with. I don't know a single person that is competitive that would deliberately do something like that.

Edit: I am going to a USA WJC game in 10 days and am looking forward to Quinn lighting it up!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

While I do like conspiracy theories, I don't believe at all these young men would tank an interview. There are literally millions of dollars on the line and they are very competitive people to begin with. I don't know a single person that is competitive that would deliberately do something like that.

yup.  Hyper elite and compete people want to be the best at everything they do, including interviews.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

ALl Jack has to do is say that he plays with his brother or will hold out until he is traded. Not going to happen but if the long shot lottery doesn't work it can be PLan #2!

So Jack will hold out and forgo millions just to play with his bro?  These guys aren't twins who have been playing together on the same line like the Sedins.  Lots of brothers play in the NHL on different teams.  The Primeau brothers actually had a fight in a game years ago.  Their parents were crying.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Jack will hold out and forgo millions just to play with his bro?  These guys aren't twins who have been playing together on the same line like the Sedins.  Lots of brothers play in the NHL on different teams.  The Primeau brothers actually had a fight in a game years ago.  Their parents were crying.  

I remember that! I couldn't believe it was happening! Meat heads lol. But honestly I grew up fighting with my brother so it's not that far off to imagine. I remember the Courtnell brothers going at eachother hard back in the day too. Can't remember if it ever came down to fisticuffs tho?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I remember that! I couldn't believe it was happening! Meat heads lol. But honestly I grew up fighting with my brother so it's not that far off to imagine. I remember the Courtnell brothers going at eachother hard back in the day too. Can't remember if it ever came down to fisticuffs tho?

Haha.  I don't think Russ and Geoff ever fought.  They did play together briefly in Vancouver however...

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Keep all of them, cap permitting i think you try J. Hughes on the wing. Hear a Patrick Kane/ Mitch Marner comparable for Hughes a lot, if that's the case it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot as a winger.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha.  I don't think Russ and Geoff ever fought.  They did play together briefly in Vancouver however...

They came close! It was when Geoff was playing for the Blues and Russ was with the Canucks (after they played together for the Canucks). They played eachother hard lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

Keep all of them, cap permitting i think you try J. Hughes on the wing. Hear a Patrick Kane/ Mitch Marner comparable for Hughes a lot, if that's the case it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot as a winger.

Sure. We can certainly move a C or two to wing. Doesn't necessarily solve the lack of size on W or D issues though and I'd prefer not to be Toronto 2.0 with all offensive forwards and no defense.

Nothing to worry about at this point in time though and a good 'problem' to have, should we be so lucky.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. We can certainly move a C or two to wing. Doesn't necessarily solve the lack of size on W or D issues though and I'd prefer not to be Toronto 2.0 with all offensive forwards and no defense.

Nothing to worry about at this point in time though and a good 'problem' to have, should we be so lucky.

Got to take the BPA in the first round.  If Jack Hughes is there when we pick, we must take him.  Then, we could always try the Columbus method of trading a top young forward for a top (young) D man.  Not the Oiler way though.  That deal for Larsen still smells. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I mean its not like we have small wingers yet. Depending which website one uses Boeser, Leivo, Virtanen, Goldobin(can still fill out) are all top 9 wingers for us over 6ft tall. Our 3 centres in Bo, Gaud and Petey are all 6ft or over. Plus we have other very promising wingers in the AHL that arent pushovers eitherl. Lind, Gadjovich, MacEwen, Jasek

I mean the only young small winger we have right now is Motte and he plays above his weight class physically. Dahlen being the other smaller skilled winger we have but even he's not afraid of the dirty areas.

If Quinn's brother Jack is there then you take him if he's the best player available. Put him beside Horvat and you could have two elite lines. Personally, I think Kakko has the higher upside and Id love to draft him but BPA all the way. Especially when we don't have a small winger problem.