The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He is way different than Dhalin. He is an elite skater with unbelievable hockey IQ.  

Just courious, Dahlin was also scouted as having elite skating, vision, hockey IQ, defensive abilities and offensive instincts.  So how is Hughes 'different' than Dahlin in that respect and if he's so superior to Dahlin why was Dahlin the undisputed #1 overall with nobody even coming a close second? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

gettin' pretty syrupy there Alf, but I hope you're right!.. manifest destiny? 

We should all be sympathetic when it comes to Alf. His over the top projections of players is weird. God bless his enthusiasm though. I hope it makes him happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Temper your expectation. I keep hearing from Journalists. Temper your expectations. I laugh. Speculating is fine. And we have had some players measure up. Quinn to me will put expectations on himself. And he will do better than all of us expect. Quinn will start out as a point per game player maybe a little less. like .87. He is way different than Dhalin. He is an elite skater with unbelievable hockey IQ.  

QH is a better skater, but you're grasping at straws after that.  Dahlin is the real deal and might be the best dman since Lidstrom.  There's also a better than decent chance he walks away with the Calder.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

People comparing Hughes to Dahlen and even taking the ridiculous next step and suggesting Hughes is the far superior player need to give it a rest - Dahlen was not only the undisputed #1 overall pick, he's had a rookie season that's completely lived up to his billing - in other words he DELIVERED on all of his expectations.  This isn't like a year ago when they were both unproven picks - Dahlen has proven he is/was the undisputed #1. 

Hughes hasn't set foot on the ice as a professional hockey player yet.  Do I hope he's good when he does - no, I hope he's GREAT, but I'm not such a homer to suggest he's better than Dahlen when he hasn't proved a dang thing yet at the NHL level and Dahlen is essentially stealing the Calder away from EP while nobody's looking. 

I get people naturally favor their own (in this respect Hughes), but to deny that Dahlen is the better player while Hughes hasn't even worn a real NHL jersey yet is far from just favoring their own player, it just makes everything you say lack any credibility whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

QH is a better skater, but you're grasping at straws after that.  Dahlin is the real deal and might be the best dman since Lidstrom.  There's also a better than decent chance he walks away with the Calder.

I think EP40 is still the front runner and if Hughes can get into a few games I think he could have an immediate impact on our offence.  

He may not help us keep them out very well to start but if this team could start to run and gun offensively until the end of the year, it would be fun to watch and EP40 would rack up some points and win the Calder.  

All of the above would give the team a positive end to the year, make the fans happy and give the club a boost going into the off season which could have real impact next year.  

First thing I would do to turn this franchise around is find us some talent at the draft.  

CHECK!

The next thing I would let these guys take rolls when they are ready.  When that is, no matter how young, bring them in.  

CHECK!

The third thing I would do is get the right coach.  

Fail.... WD

CHECK!   Green is saying and doing the things I would want a coach to do with our team atm.  

The final thing I would do is not hesitate to use stop gaps until the club is able to find and produce talent internally.  Even if these players cost more or dont work out, they are not going to impact our long term negativily.  

CHECK! 

JB is doing most of what I would expect and wish our GM to do.  Mainly drafting and developing.  He is finding talent at the draft.  We can see the future core already filling out.

By having the role players be veterans I agree with.  We will improve as Bo, Brock, Elias, Jake, Adam, Stecher, Hughed, OJ, Woo and Demko improve.  

So the future is bright and I gotta wear shades!  

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think EP40 is still the front runner and if Hughes can get into a few games I think he could have an immediate impact on our offence.  

I'm not suggesting this will or won't happen, but wondering what people will say/do if Hughes joins the line-up and he is average to below-average, and makes no noticeable positive difference on the team whatsoever.......? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Just courious, Dahlin was also scouted as having elite skating, vision, hockey IQ, defensive abilities and offensive instincts.  So how is Hughes 'different' than Dahlin in that respect and if he's so superior to Dahlin why was Dahlin the undisputed #1 overall with nobody even coming a close second? 

GO watch Dhalins draft video. He is a highlight reel machine with little finnsh. So as it is only March we have seen Dhalin and now it is Quinns turn. I am saying and have said he will do better. The talking is all done. Now it is show time. And we will probably get a 10 game sample size. He is another unbelievable prospect.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

I'm not suggesting this will or won't happen, but wondering what people will say/do if Hughes joins the line-up and he is average to below-average, and makes no noticeable positive difference on the team whatsoever.......? 

Its very possible you are right. And it could happen. But the higher the pick the better chance they have of succeeding and the more pressure on them if they don't. 

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

He has struggled and ELias walks away with the calder. Just as much as Elias has struggled so has Dhalin. Anyone looking at the highlights alone can't over see Elias has dominated this year. And with Quinn back and Tanev. It will mean better passes to ELias and he will finish strong. Dhalin has averaged .60 points per game in hos first year. Now its Hughes turn! Does he match it? Or does he struggle? I am just saying he is what the league has been waiting for. My call is .87 points per game.

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He has struggled and ELias walks away with the calder. Just as much as Elias has struggled so has Dhalin. Anyone looking at the highlights alone can't over see Elias has dominated this year. And with Quinn back and Tanev. It will mean better passes to ELias and he will finish strong. Dhalin has averaged .60 points per game in hos first year. Now its Hughes turn! Does he match it? Or does he struggle? I am just saying he is what the league has been waiting for. My call is .87 points per game.

Dahlin took about a month to adjust and has been consistently excellent ever since.  I think EP has the better chance, but it's pretty close, imo.

It's good you're keeping your expectations of QH realistic

I’m pretty confident Hughes will take the league by storm offensively like Boeser and Pettersson did. Might be a bit of an adventure in his own end, but better for him to make those mistakes now and learn from them in meaningless games. I also think there will be a  bit of a trickle down effect and the rest of the d will play better.

Edited by Elias_Pettersson

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No offence but sounds like you made up that narrative.

I just went and read a bunch of stuff on Orr as a prospect and did not see anywhere that NHL people did not think he would succeed in the NHL.

Wikipedia:

Orr debuted in junior in the 1962–63 season for the new Generals in the new Metro Junior A League. Orr was only fourteen, competing against eighteen-, nineteen- and twenty-year-olds.

Orr's goal and point totals increased every year during his junior career, and he was named to the OHA First-All Star team every season he was in the OHA. 

Orr joined the Bruins for the 1966–67 season, his first as a professional. The Bruins were not convinced Orr belonged on defence, trying him out at centre first.[32] Through the pre-season, Orr was given jersey number 27. At the season's start, the Bruins offered him jersey number 5, that of past Bruins star Dit Clapper, but Orr chose jersey number 4.[33] Orr made his NHL regular-season debut on October 19, 1966, against the Detroit Red Wings, getting one assist. On October 22, he scored his first NHL goal against the Montreal Canadiens. It was a slap shot past Gump Worsley and the Boston Garden crowd gave Orr a standing ovation.[34]

In that first season, Orr was challenged by the veterans, and he earned respect by defeating Montreal tough guy Ted Harris in his first NHL fight. On December 4, 1966, Toronto Maple Leafs' defenceman Marcel Pronovost checked him into the boards, injuring Orr's knees for the first time in the NHL. He would miss nine games and the Bruins would lose six of them. The team finished with a 17–43–10 record, leaving the Bruins in last place. However, attendance at Boston Garden increased by forty-one thousand fans.[35]

For the season, Orr scored 13 goals and 28 assists, one of the best rookie seasons in NHL history to that point by a defenceman.[36] Orr won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's outstanding rookie and was named to the NHL's Second All-Star team.[37] New York Rangers defenceman Harry Howell won the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenceman that year. In accepting the award, Howell said he was glad to win when he did, predicting "Orr will own this trophy from now on."[2] Orr was runner-up in voting.[38]

I read a few more articles too and NOBODY mentions they thought he would not be a player. Come on Alf.

Bobby Orr won the Norris Trophy as a 20 year old in his 2nd year.  Won it another 7 times in a row after that.  He would have won it another 4-5 times if his knees didn't give out.

He was a generational talent from the time he was a teenager.  Not even a comparison to Quinn.  I think Alfie is just playing with you...  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Dahlin went #1 overall because he is a complete defenceman.  The best to come out of the draft since Doughty, and he will be much better than Doughty.  Hughes went #7 overall because he is 5'10" and has defensive liabilities.  Perhaps he can overcome those liabilities and Alfie will be proven right.  But there was a big gap between Dahlin and Hughes leading up to the draft and there still is.  Let's se what Hughes can do at the NHL level.  Dahlin has already proven he can be a force at the back end.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin went #1 overall because he is a complete defenceman.  The best to come out of the draft since Doughty, and he will be much better than Doughty.  Hughes went #7 overall because he is 5'10" and has defensive liabilities.  Perhaps he can overcome those liabilities and Alfie will be proven right.  But there was a big gap between Dahlin and Hughes leading up to the draft and there still is.  Let's se what Hughes can do at the NHL level.  Dahlin has already proven he can be a force at the back end.

Dahlin went 1 because of the size. You act like Dahlin isn't a liablity defensively, when he is. That is a fact. If Hughes was 3 inches taller, I have no doubt he goes 1.

• Upvote 1

Ridiculous to speculate before studying him on practice or at the actual NHL game-level. I will be happy if he succeeds and is miracle boy in action. If u start exaggerate on his actual performance after his debut then i would have an issue with it. I dont care for words, i want results. Prove on the ice that he can perform on the level u describe. If not then id say ur just a fanboy. If he performs badly and ur still praising then id have an issue with it. Tough love if u so want to call it that. I want to see something from him on the ice...something that shows he has got something that will place him on a solid path to greatness. If so only some details that shows he has potential. But dont exaggerate it plz, it easily turns rather silly....Everyone has expectations and i will definetly support his journey, but i will compare it to what it takes to be an NHL Defenseman. Hes young and full of potential, question is how good is he right now? that is something that is truly exciting in my world anyway :P cant wait to see the kid play. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Some will freak out, call for JB,'s head call Hughes a fail and generally be unpleasant.   

When Hughes turns it around and shows everyone why he was so highly touted, these same posters will disappear.  To return everytime Hughes has a bad game etc...

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Dahlin went 1 because of the size. You act like Dahlin isn't a liablity defensively, when he is. That is a fact. If Hughes was 3 inches taller, I have no doubt he goes 1.

Yeah, no.

Dahlin is superior (and not a little) in every way other than skating and even then it's not miles apart.  

If QH had Dahlin's size, he wouldn't be as good a skater, so that's a red herring argument.

As per the CDC standard, saying anything positive about one player must mean it's a negative against the other.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Dahlin is 18 years old.  Whatever defensive issues he has will be rectified.  He is a complete defenceman and is in the running for the Calder.  He will win numerous Norris trophies in the future.

I'd still take Dahlin over Hughes even if Hughes was 6'1".

• Haha 1