-Vintage Canuck-

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

I think QH could be Canucks Paul Coffey or Phil Housley.  Those 2 defenceman could skate circles around forwards and put up the points. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

to me that sounds like someone who hasn't really watched him play.  He has a heavy shot, for a player in bantam.

His shot ...in my estimation has improved immensely this year...I would have agreed with you last year but have you seen his shot in the last month or so?

It may not be 100 mph slapper or an 80 Mph wrister but it is far from Bantam level and probably average for an NHL defensemen.

...and that is all through hard work and obvious attention to detail...just like he improves the rest of his game...cerebrally...!

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

His shot ...in my estimation has improved immensely this year...I would have agreed with you last year but have you seen his shot in the last month or so?

It may not be 100 mph slapper or an 80 Mph wrister but it is far from Bantam level and probably average for an NHL defensemen.

...and that is all through hard work and obvious attention to detail...just like he improves the rest of his game...cerebrally...!

He's improved his shot, I agree.  He might not have a clapper, but he gets it through and that's a huge upgrade on, pretty much, all canuck dmen........if he can hit the net, it's an upgrade on most of the fwds too!

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Such a protypical Canucks defenceman. Joins the team is potentially injured already. <_< "Was walking with a limp yesterday" - Benning in press conference.  

Such a protypical Canucks defenceman. Joins the team is potentially injured already. <_< "Was walking with a limp yesterday" - Benning in press conference.  

2 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

He's no JJ Daigneault tho' !

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think QH could be Canucks Paul Coffey or Phil Housley.  Those 2 defenceman could skate circles around forwards and put up the points. 

Jim Benning compared him to Brian Leetch the way he skates, moves the puck and walks the line. I would be very happy if he had that ability. I’m excited to see what he can do.

However, So much pressure is being put on him though in this market. I hope he fully understands what he is getting himself into here.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

For sure the agent and player have that hammer but in the case of the Canucks, they have been clear they want to get a look at what they have in Hughes which will help them in any moves they need to make before next season.  Hughes has been clear that he is excited to be a Canuck and likes the opportunity that exists with their group.  I don't think hard-ball was played by either party.  It just makes sense with the condition of our D group, to get Hughes exposed to the NHL as soon as possible.  If we had an established, successful and deep D core, perhaps it would be a different discussion.

Don't think they have had to play hard ball neither... 

Think its more of a mutual agreement between the two parties... Its also important for the management group to show good faith towards the collage players as they have a bargain tool others don't. 

And if they want to continue enticing Collage players, it good the agents can advise their clients about Canucks looking well after them.

And with the situation being as it is, its kinda hand meets glove... we need D... and there might just be room for Hughes already....

• Hydration 1

Bobby Orr was a plus +124 in 70/71 season. That’s crazy. I’m hopeful Quinn will break that record. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Bobby Orr was a plus +124 in 70/71 season. That’s crazy. I’m hopeful Quinn will break that record. 

Harvey and then (mostly) Orr changed the way the D played.  Quinn will play that way too.  He's such a phenomenal skater, that he can be in both ends of the ice at the same time!!!  

• Like 1

Temper your expectation. I keep hearing from Journalists. Temper your expectations. I laugh. Speculating is fine. And we have had some players measure up. Quinn to me will put expectations on himself. And he will do better than all of us expect. Quinn will start out as a point per game player maybe a little less. like .87. He is way different than Dhalin. He is an elite skater with unbelievable hockey IQ.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree, and so was Harvey.  Yet experts said, before their careers, that both were not going to succeed in the NHL, because they skated into the offensive zone too much.  Quinn Hughes is very similar to both Harvey and Orr.  He carries the puck like they did.  Plus, Quinn is hyper compete (as evidenced by his now swollen ankle from blocking a shot).  He will definitely be an excellent defensive player too.  He will study fighting so he can pound the crap out of guys as well.  Quinn Hughes is a special player, who will soon be here, for us to watch lead us to Cups!!!  :towel:

gettin' pretty syrupy there Alf, but I hope you're right!.. manifest destiny? 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is the best defenceman to come out of the draft in a long time.  Could end up being a generational talent.  Hughes is not comparable because Dahlin has an overall game that Hughes does not possess.

Hughes however has one quality we desperately need on the back end and that is as a PMD and a QB on the power play.  This is where Hughes will make a huge contribution.  Dahlin is like 6"3' and a solid 200+ pounds.  He will be a force and a top D in this league for a long time playing in all situations.  We can hope that Hughes turns into an elite PMD and quarterbacks our PP for the next decade.

Well now we can quit speculating and now see over the next few years if Alf is right or not....   

For all Canucks fans I really hope he is.  

21 minutes ago, cory40 said:

He is way different than Dhalin. He is an elite skater with unbelievable hockey IQ.  

Just courious, Dahlin was also scouted as having elite skating, vision, hockey IQ, defensive abilities and offensive instincts.  So how is Hughes 'different' than Dahlin in that respect and if he's so superior to Dahlin why was Dahlin the undisputed #1 overall with nobody even coming a close second? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

gettin' pretty syrupy there Alf, but I hope you're right!.. manifest destiny? 

We should all be sympathetic when it comes to Alf. His over the top projections of players is weird. God bless his enthusiasm though. I hope it makes him happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Temper your expectation. I keep hearing from Journalists. Temper your expectations. I laugh. Speculating is fine. And we have had some players measure up. Quinn to me will put expectations on himself. And he will do better than all of us expect. Quinn will start out as a point per game player maybe a little less. like .87. He is way different than Dhalin. He is an elite skater with unbelievable hockey IQ.  

QH is a better skater, but you're grasping at straws after that.  Dahlin is the real deal and might be the best dman since Lidstrom.  There's also a better than decent chance he walks away with the Calder.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

People comparing Hughes to Dahlen and even taking the ridiculous next step and suggesting Hughes is the far superior player need to give it a rest - Dahlen was not only the undisputed #1 overall pick, he's had a rookie season that's completely lived up to his billing - in other words he DELIVERED on all of his expectations.  This isn't like a year ago when they were both unproven picks - Dahlen has proven he is/was the undisputed #1. 

Hughes hasn't set foot on the ice as a professional hockey player yet.  Do I hope he's good when he does - no, I hope he's GREAT, but I'm not such a homer to suggest he's better than Dahlen when he hasn't proved a dang thing yet at the NHL level and Dahlen is essentially stealing the Calder away from EP while nobody's looking. 

I get people naturally favor their own (in this respect Hughes), but to deny that Dahlen is the better player while Hughes hasn't even worn a real NHL jersey yet is far from just favoring their own player, it just makes everything you say lack any credibility whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

QH is a better skater, but you're grasping at straws after that.  Dahlin is the real deal and might be the best dman since Lidstrom.  There's also a better than decent chance he walks away with the Calder.

I think EP40 is still the front runner and if Hughes can get into a few games I think he could have an immediate impact on our offence.  

He may not help us keep them out very well to start but if this team could start to run and gun offensively until the end of the year, it would be fun to watch and EP40 would rack up some points and win the Calder.  

All of the above would give the team a positive end to the year, make the fans happy and give the club a boost going into the off season which could have real impact next year.  

First thing I would do to turn this franchise around is find us some talent at the draft.  

CHECK!

The next thing I would let these guys take rolls when they are ready.  When that is, no matter how young, bring them in.  

CHECK!

The third thing I would do is get the right coach.  

Fail.... WD

CHECK!   Green is saying and doing the things I would want a coach to do with our team atm.  

The final thing I would do is not hesitate to use stop gaps until the club is able to find and produce talent internally.  Even if these players cost more or dont work out, they are not going to impact our long term negativily.  

CHECK! 

JB is doing most of what I would expect and wish our GM to do.  Mainly drafting and developing.  He is finding talent at the draft.  We can see the future core already filling out.

By having the role players be veterans I agree with.  We will improve as Bo, Brock, Elias, Jake, Adam, Stecher, Hughed, OJ, Woo and Demko improve.  

So the future is bright and I gotta wear shades!  

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I think EP40 is still the front runner and if Hughes can get into a few games I think he could have an immediate impact on our offence.  

I'm not suggesting this will or won't happen, but wondering what people will say/do if Hughes joins the line-up and he is average to below-average, and makes no noticeable positive difference on the team whatsoever.......? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Just courious, Dahlin was also scouted as having elite skating, vision, hockey IQ, defensive abilities and offensive instincts.  So how is Hughes 'different' than Dahlin in that respect and if he's so superior to Dahlin why was Dahlin the undisputed #1 overall with nobody even coming a close second? 

GO watch Dhalins draft video. He is a highlight reel machine with little finnsh. So as it is only March we have seen Dhalin and now it is Quinns turn. I am saying and have said he will do better. The talking is all done. Now it is show time. And we will probably get a 10 game sample size. He is another unbelievable prospect.

• Upvote 1