The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not sure that he's going to learn anything new (hockey wise) at the college level. Might be better in Utica, since he is eligible to sign and spend time there.

I believe that we should take our time getting Hughes into the league, but I also think the he might be better served gaining experience of a tougher schedule and tougher opponents.

I'd probably sign him and put him down there for the season or most of it at least.

College hockey is a good level and the players are mostly fully grown men. It will give him one more year to mature physically and mentally.

Ideally I would like to see Juolevi in Utica and Hughes at College. Move out Del Zotto and Edler at the TDL and bring up Juolevi and Hughes to replace them 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Ben “Both Ends” Kuzma knows a lot about these things. Unlike Hughes, it’s not just an occasional and unfortunate illness for him, but rather a lifelong affliction where “Benny Both Ends” splatters his verbal diarrhea and vomitous commentaries all over various sports media in this city.

That comment was so out of line even his Vancouver media colleagues had to say wow lol.  That was a terrible impression imprinted on Hughes.

40 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

College hockey is a good level and the players are mostly fully grown men. It will give him one more year to mature physically and mentally.

Ideally I would like to see Juolevi in Utica and Hughes at College. Move out Del Zotto and Edler at the TDL and bring up Juolevi and Hughes to replace them 

hughes likely wouldn't be available for the Canucks next season, unless they make the post season.  Much rather have him in Utica

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

hughes likely wouldn't be available for the Canucks next season, unless they make the post season.  Much rather have him in Utica

They don't really need him to be available next season do they?

If it's another losing season I'd rather he focus on winning world Junior gold, an NCAA championship, and world championship gold.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 4

Just now, DeNiro said:

If it's another losing season I'd rather he focus on winning world Junior gold, an NCAA championship, and world championship gold.

he can still play in the WJHC and WC if he is in the AHL.  They don't need him, but the depth would be nice and don't we want the team's prospects to ush themselves and their development.  Obviously it's his decision, but if he feels playing pro will challenge him the most, then that's where he should be, imo

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree, let him have some success in either college or in Utica. I actually like the Utica idea, as he would be playing with Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, etc, start forming that chemistry. If the Canucks can give him a few games near the end of the season, great.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

he can still play in the WJHC and WC if he is in the AHL.  They don't need him, but the depth would be nice and don't we want the team's prospects to ush themselves and their development.  Obviously it's his decision, but if he feels playing pro will challenge him the most, then that's where he should be, imo

If what's keeping him from the NHL is his strength, college is a much better place to develop that IMO.

Much more time to work out in college hockey, and Michigan is a world class program with very good coaches.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, let him have some success in either college or in Utica. I actually like the Utica idea, as he would be playing with Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, etc, start forming that chemistry. If the Canucks can give him a few games near the end of the season, great.

Utica could be pretty crowded on the blueline if Juolevi is there as well, College may be the way to go. He will get tonnes of playing time and will be able to get stronger as Deniro suggested.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If what's keeping him from the NHL is his strength, college is a much better place to develop that IMO.

Much more time to work out in college hockey, and Michigan is a world class program with very good coaches.

I wouldn't be at all upset if he chose to go back to the NCAA, but my preference, if he believes he is ready, is to turn pro

If there’s even a thought of maybe it might be rushing him why do it? Without Hughes we’re a bottom 5 team. With Hughes we’re a bottom 5 team. Let the kid develop and play 25+ minutes a night on either Michigan or Utica. I’d prefer Michigan because it’d be one less potential body to protect if an expansion draft happens in the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If there’s even a thought of maybe it might be rushing him why do it? Without Hughes we’re a bottom 5 team. With Hughes we’re a bottom 5 team. Let the kid develop and play 25+ minutes a night on either Michigan or Utica. I’d prefer Michigan because it’d be one less potential body to protect if an expansion draft happens in the next couple years.

He could just sign his contract when his college season ends. Like Gaudette/Boeser. Thus not saving a season regardless of being in College all year. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He could just sign his contract when his college season ends. Like Gaudette/Boeser. Thus not saving a season regardless of being in College all year. 

The NHL season will end on April 6th, 2019 while the NCAA Frozen Four takes place April 11th - 13th, 2019. Depending on how far Michigan goes in the post season there is a reasonable chance that Hughes would not have an opportunity to sign and play at the end of the year as Boeser and Gaudette did. I don't know if the possibility of not using up a year of his ELC would influence his decision to turn pro or not but I am sure it is something that would be discussed with his family and agent.

From a Canucks perspective, not burning a year of his ELC would be great but I doubt the Hughes camp would see it the same way.

5 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Nah Pettersson is in his +1 draft year, so he can win the calder this year. Hughes just got drafted, so can go back to school and win the calder next year. I'm in it for the long haul. Why have a mediocre team that can entertain the fans this year at times, when with another top pick we can have a dominant and winning team that will entertain the fans for years to come? Instant gratification vs delayed gratification that has a bigger reward for showing patience.

As if nobody else is?  Completely baseless false narrative.

The tanking is paying off and we got two studs in Pettersson and Hughes the last two drafts.

Absolute made-up nonsense, and players, management, and STHs would find that disgusting and insulting.  Nobody intentionally loses games, no matter how badly you want them to.

No one said rebuilding would be entertaining or fun, but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded with a great team in the future. 

Again, fallacious narrative and false equivocation.  You're advocating intentionally putting out a sub-par team and intentionally losing.

22 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As if nobody else is?  Completely baseless false narrative.

Absolute made-up nonsense, and players, management, and STHs would find that disgusting and insulting.  Nobody intentionally loses games, no matter how badly you want them to.

Again, fallacious narrative and false equivocation.  You're advocating intentionally putting out a sub-par team and intentionally losing.

I don't think the anti tankers are in it for the long haul. If they had their way we would have been a bubble team just missing the playoffs or being knocked out in the first round and we would have missed out on studs like Pettersson and Hughes.

That would would have continued the cycle of mediocrity. I'm aboard team tank for at least one more year because one more stud added to our cupboard of prospects will go a long way to making the canucks contenders again. The method of losing doesn't matter to me whether it's intentionally tanking or just being bad, as long as the end result is top picks. I don't think the canucks have ever intentionally tanked though, but I just like using the word tanking as a catch all phrase.

Just look at the excitement Pettersson and Hughes are generating. Imagine the excitement next year in Vancouver at the draft if we won the lottery. I'm not banking on that though since we never win, but will be cheering for a top 5 pick to grab one of the elite centres available. If all goes well then rogers arena will be rocking again with sellouts and a winning atmosphere in 2021 or 2022.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm no pro athlete but would LOATHE doing the grind, in heat, the same week as having the flu. Pretty sure that's one of the circles of hell.

Tough climb eh Hughes? Drink your water, you're probably dehydrated.

10 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I don't think the anti tankers are in it for the long haul.

:unsure: 

If you actually think that, nothing else is surprising.

11 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

If they had their way we would have been a bubble team just missing the playoffs or being knocked out in the first round and we would have missed out on studs like Pettersson and Hughes.

Are you even following the team or watching the games?  They did what they could to be competitive but a large part of the problem was all the injuries that have hit for three years straight now.  Does not seem you even know what's been going on the past 3-4 years.

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

:unsure: 

If you actually think that, nothing else is surprising.

Are you even following the team or watching the games?  They did what they could to be competitive but a large part of the problem was all the injuries that have hit for three years straight now.  Does not seem you even know what's been going on the past 3-4 years.

Oh yeah I still watch every game. I just watch them with an eye towards the future now. Instead of getting pissed off at blowing 3rd period leads, I get pissed off when we tie it late to get loser points or ot wins. I can't wait for the day when I can wholeheartedly cheer for the canucks to win again without feeling guilty about cheering against their future success. These tank years have been bleak, but still not as bleak as the messier years! 

I don't think injuries are a big reason we've been bad though, but a lack of talent since we're rebuilding. We should be back on top in a few years though hopefully and then these tank years would have been well worth it! 

Edited by FireGillis

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

If he winds up back in college, its not a bad thing! Worked out pretty well with Boeser and Gaudette :)