The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

NHL readiness.

based on skating and talent yes.  HOWEVER right now, can't tell if his body is strong enough to endure the psychical side of the NHL and of his stamina is ready for 82 games, that's the big question right now.   Because it's just one game.

conclusion, I am extremely impressed by him.   IF he had the flu, I'm even more impressed, but if he was 100% no flu, still impressed he should be in the NCAA next year, where he can focus on his strength.

Bang on.

Hall of fame dangles. I want Hughes to go back to school though because I think he hurts our chances for tanking for Jack. We still need Jack or another top 5 pick. I hear next year will have elite centremen to choose from. Get another top pick and this team could do some damage in a few years. 

Edited by FireGillis
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Hall of fame dangles. I want Hughes to go back to school though because I think he hurts our chances for tanking for Jack. We still need Jack or another top 5 pick. I hear next year will have elite centremen to choose from. Get another top pick and this team could do some damage in a few years. 

We’re a bottom 3 team in this league as is and have been for about 5 years now. I think Hughes would have to break into the league as a 2nd coming of Bobby Orr to single handily take us out of the running for (Jack) Hughes. You’ve forgotten about such gems as Eriksson, Edler and Markstrom that are definitely assets towards tanking.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

1st thing

Blue team was out matched to be honest. 

White consisted of big name players like Kole Lind, Palmu, Rathbone, Madden and even Jett Woo.

Blue had... well Hughes and Dipietro.

He had little to work with, but if he is playing with the flu I am damn impressed.

first thing his skating is on a different level, the only other guy with his level of skating is Rathbone, now I'm not saying everyone is trash skaters, no, we have a lot of strong skaters, but he is on different level.

Poise.  HIs poise was again on a different level of his teamates (Blue team).  White will have obvious sustain pressure, but when Hughes is put back out there, the ice is tilted back towards Whites end.  When he's off, white is attacking again, then when Hughes is out there, it seems like he's there to save the day or "relieve the pressure."  White was clearly the stronger team.

Like Juolevi last year, I think the players around him (hughes) is a step behind, or in other words, they see the play 2 steps ahead, which his fellow teamates (Blue team) cannot process or don't have the talent to play with Hughes, in other words, Hughes vision is also on a different level, and that if he played with NHLers or at least elite prospects (Pettersson)

He's exactly as he advertised.  extremely confident. He will have the puck, and he will dangle his way out of danger then skate it out ALL THE WAY TO THE OFFENCE END, and make sure, his teamate has assembled offensively then he will make plays.  He will try to hold on until reinforcements come.   This is a true attribute of an offensive force.  Guys like Duncan Keith and Doughty will do this, which is from their own end, dangle out of the danger, which requires an amount of confidence, skill(not easy to have) and of course the skating to make it up.  Hughes had all that, and he was able to execute that.

Tonight he was very good at defensive zone exits and offensive zone entry, and no, he's not the dump and chase type of guy, he literally will skate it in, and do his absolute best to turn it into an offensive zone time for his team.

offensive time generation, honestly, he had less to work with tonight, mainly due to his team, but he was Blue's best player the very least.  He's the only one that can at least tilt the ice back onto White's end, it's too bad he didn't have at least 1 big name prospect on his end, would have been awesome.

NHL readiness.

based on skating and talent yes.  HOWEVER right now, can't tell if his body is strong enough to endure the psychical side of the NHL and of his stamina is ready for 82 games, that's the big question right now.   Because it's just one game.

conclusion, I am extremely impressed by him.   IF he had the flu, I'm even more impressed, but if he was 100% no flu, still impressed he should be in the NCAA next year, where he can focus on his strength.

There were a couple

dangles that brought me out of my seat but whatnimpressed me most were his sauce passes, or little dishes he always knew where his teammates were.

this in the future with Boeser and EP will give them space and time to rip their shots off... so excited for our future with these kids!

I mentioned in the Prospects Camp thread that I thought his legs weren't really there last night. There wasn't one instance in which I saw him wind up in his own D-zone and just GO - one instance where he reached a velocity where I went "whoa". All the other parts of his game were there, great passing (teammates often couldn't handle them), silky soft hands and sick dangles and a deceptively good and accurate wrister.

I saw the story emerge last night that he lost 6 pounds from that flu bug...and increasingly it's clear he is not recovered. I went back and looked at some WJC, Michigan and World Hockey Championships to looked at his skating there compared to last night. Quite a stark difference. The fact that he was still one of the better skaters out there while not close to 100% says how great a skater he can be.

I find myself increasingly in favour of his return to Michigan. But if he is in main Camp in September (having signed a contract), I'll be as excited as anyone.

7 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Horrors if he were to come in next year and not only improve the team but entertain the fans... cuz lotto.  Might as well send Pettersson and Gaudette to the minors, and Boeser's still waivers-ineligible, too.

:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Horrors if he were to come in next year and not only improve the team but entertain the fans... cuz lotto.  Might as well send Pettersson and Gaudette to the minors, and Boeser's still waivers-ineligible, too.

:picard:

Nah Pettersson is in his +1 draft year, so he can win the calder this year. Hughes just got drafted, so can go back to school and win the calder next year. I'm in it for the long haul. Why have a mediocre team that can entertain the fans this year at times, when with another top pick we can have a dominant and winning team that will entertain the fans for years to come? Instant gratification vs delayed gratification that has a bigger reward for showing patience. 

The tanking is paying off and we got two studs in Pettersson and Hughes the last two drafts. Get jack or an elite centremen next year, especially with the draft being in Vancouver and we'll be well on our way to becoming a dominant team again with all our prospects.  No one said rebuilding would be entertaining or fun, but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded with a great team in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

1st thing

Blue team was out matched to be honest. 

White consisted of big name players like Kole Lind, Palmu, Rathbone, Madden and even Jett Woo.

Blue had... well Hughes and Dipietro.

He had little to work with, but if he is playing with the flu I am damn impressed.

first thing his skating is on a different level, the only other guy with his level of skating is Rathbone, now I'm not saying everyone is trash skaters, no, we have a lot of strong skaters, but he is on different level.

Poise.  HIs poise was again on a different level of his teamates (Blue team).  White will have obvious sustain pressure, but when Hughes is put back out there, the ice is tilted back towards Whites end.  When he's off, white is attacking again, then when Hughes is out there, it seems like he's there to save the day or "relieve the pressure."  White was clearly the stronger team.

Like Juolevi last year, I think the players around him (hughes) is a step behind, or in other words, they see the play 2 steps ahead, which his fellow teamates (Blue team) cannot process or don't have the talent to play with Hughes, in other words, Hughes vision is also on a different level, and that if he played with NHLers or at least elite prospects (Pettersson)

He's exactly as he advertised.  extremely confident. He will have the puck, and he will dangle his way out of danger then skate it out ALL THE WAY TO THE OFFENCE END, and make sure, his teamate has assembled offensively then he will make plays.  He will try to hold on until reinforcements come.   This is a true attribute of an offensive force.  Guys like Duncan Keith and Doughty will do this, which is from their own end, dangle out of the danger, which requires an amount of confidence, skill(not easy to have) and of course the skating to make it up.  Hughes had all that, and he was able to execute that.

Tonight he was very good at defensive zone exits and offensive zone entry, and no, he's not the dump and chase type of guy, he literally will skate it in, and do his absolute best to turn it into an offensive zone time for his team.

offensive time generation, honestly, he had less to work with tonight, mainly due to his team, but he was Blue's best player the very least.  He's the only one that can at least tilt the ice back onto White's end, it's too bad he didn't have at least 1 big name prospect on his end, would have been awesome.

NHL readiness.

I think the AHL is a happy medium for him.  He'll get a similar training regimen as the NCAA, but he'll get a pro schedule.  Seems like a perfect fit to me

• Upvote 2

My thoughts from last game:

Quinn Hughes showed flashes of brilliance but still lacks the finish in my opinion (although the flu doesnt help). Would be amazing with Brock on the powerplay. Unfortunately he didnt get the puck as much as I would have liked to see. Team white had better puck possession.  

Rathbone looked really solid at both ends seemed poised and fast. Cam back to stop a potential breakaway at one point.

Jett Woo got more physical as the game went on, played a solid defensive game with a few looks the other way and will be a fan favourite.

Palmu looked excellent as well and was making lots of plays in the offensive zone and producing.

Lind was as advertised, got in good scoring areas and has a great shot.  

Hughes played pretty casual last night. Definitely looked bit gassed and I'm guessing that was from the illness. Having said that, he was still evidently the most talented player on the ice. Even with his casual play he was getting around guys easily and his hockey IQ is so high that he never got caught in a bad spot. Always was able to make a play. I wouldn't put too much stock in the game as a point of serious evaluation, considering he didn't look like he was giving 100%.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Quite a performance from Q, especially given that he’d lost 6 lbs this week from what sounds like it was a really bad case of flu/gastroenteritis.

Imagine if Hughes had actually been playing healthy. :o

Yeah according to Kuzma it was coming out both ends. :wacko:

• Haha 2

I'm not sure that he's going to learn anything new (hockey wise) at the college level. Might be better in Utica, since he is eligible to sign and spend time there.

I believe that we should take our time getting Hughes into the league, but I also think the he might be better served gaining experience of a tougher schedule and tougher opponents.

I'd probably sign him and put him down there for the season or most of it at least.

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My thoughts from last game:

Quinn Hughes showed flashes of brilliance but still lacks the finish in my opinion (although the flu doesnt help). Would be amazing with Brock on the powerplay. Unfortunately he didnt get the puck as much as I would have liked to see. Team white had better puck possession.  

Rathbone looked really solid at both ends seemed poised and fast. Cam back to stop a potential breakaway at one point.

Jett Woo got more physical as the game went on, played a solid defensive game with a few looks the other way and will be a fan favourite.

Palmu looked excellent as well and was making lots of plays in the offensive zone and producing.

Lind was as advertised, got in good scoring areas and has a great shot.  

He doesn't score a lot of goals, he's more of a playmaker. He's got a huge goal to assist ratio discrepancy. If there's anything he needs to work on, it's definitely his shot.