The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The USNTDP program is filled with 24,25 year olds.  http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/z75dnus48r4g1gfsgqzv3rpl5. Give it a read, it’s very interesting.  This was his draft minus 1 year.  When he was 17.  Read what his coach had to say about him.  

“He was just tremendous defensively in that game,” Wroblewski said of Hughes. “I mean, he’s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.”

I believe the vast majority of the games the USNDP plays are against teams from the USHL with occasional ones against NCAA teams. Probably something like a 3:1 ratio. So he technically did play against 24 year olds as a 17 year old, it probably wasn't the majority of the time.

I could be wrong here though. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I believe the vast majority of the games the USNDP plays are against teams from the USHL with occasional ones against NCAA teams. Probably something like a 3:1 ratio. So he technically did play against 24 year olds as a 17 year old, it probably wasn't the majority of the time.

I could be wrong here though. 

I think you’re right, it wasn’t just 1 game. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Yeah, he hasn't said anything about the AHL - it's either the NHL or Michegan.

I'm putting my money on Hughes forcing his elite arse onto the Nucks. He's just too good.

I would say "he is just too unique".  What I mean  is I love Juolevi. But what Juolevi brings is a defenceman.  We have a bunch of other defensemen and Juolevi has to earn his spot.  Hughes is a rover and we don't have a rover.  We drafted him because we want a rover.  So if he can be a positive influence on the team with his unique style....then he makes the team over whoever they need to get rid of or send down.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I would say "he is just too unique".  What I mean  is I love Juolevi. But what Juolevi brings is a defenceman.  We have a bunch of other defensemen and Juolevi has to earn his spot.  Hughes is a rover and we don't have a rover.  We drafted him because we want a rover.  So if he can be a positive influence on the team with his unique style....then he makes the team over whoever they need to get rid of or send down.  

While I agree with mostly what you're saying, at the end of the day, I would like Quinn to be a defenseman as well considering that is his position. If he is expected to be the so-called #1 dman and log possibly 25+ mins, then he certainly will need that aspect and be quite effective at it. This is the main reason why Jordan Subban could not make it.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Smashing...

I also want what is best for Hughes. I honestly don’t see either path of turning pro or going back to the NCAA as having a downside. 

Turning pro doesn’t mean playing defence in the NHL as an 18 y/o.  The AHL is a real option and he is waiver exempt. 

While he wont have the same dedicated off ice training that a uni would provide, he would play less games and can be called up periodically to assess his development.  

With Hughes we have the rare NA player that does not have a CHL commitment that would prevent this option. 

This would place him in a situation on where he would be learning the system for both clubs as I beleive Utica uses the same systems Green is using at the NHL level. 

It is fairly safe to say that it is entirely likely that Hughes will break into the NHL within the next two years. So the choice is Pro vs College, not NHL vs College. 

Entirely agree that we need depth and with the young players hitting Utica this year, I beleive we may finally have this crucial category addressed.

EmW

Fair enough. From the sounds of it he would prefer going back to Michigan than going to Utica. I know people keep saying he could just go down there if he doesn't make it but why would he want to sign to go play in Utica when he could go back and play with his brother in Michigan. I think he wants to play Van 1st, Michigan 2nd, Utica 3rd. I have doubt he signs unless he thinks it means he will play alot of his season in the NHL this year. I think in his mind it probably is NHL vs College, atleast at the moment. 

If he goes back he will get more development time as you said, he can get stronger, work on his shot, exc. Less of a grind & less potential for injury in a crucial development year. He can turn pro once his season ends this year (or for next season), & he'll be ready to step in and make an impact. I know everyone is excited, I know hes the kind of player our D sorely lacks, but if he's not quite ready there's no reason to rush it, just follow Charlie's McAvoy's path. Just because he's not a CHL guy doesn't mean we have to put him in the AHL right away.

We could even send him back & if he's clearly past that league as far as his development then he could sign to play at some point mid-season, perhaps after the world juniors.

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. From the sounds of it he would prefer going back to Michigan than going to Utica. I know people keep saying he could just go down there if he doesn't make it but why would he want to sign to go play in Utica when he could go back and play with his brother in Michigan. I think he wants to play Van 1st, Michigan 2nd, Utica 3rd. I have doubt he signs unless he thinks it means he will play alot of his season in the NHL this year. I think in his mind it probably is NHL vs College, atleast at the moment. 

If he goes back he will get more development time as you said, he can get stronger, work on his shot, exc. Less of a grind & less potential for injury in a crucial development year. He can turn pro once his season ends this year (or for next season), & he'll be ready to step in and make an impact. I know everyone is excited, I know hes the kind of player our D sorely lacks, but if he's not quite ready there's no reason to rush it, just follow Charlie's McAvoy's path. Just because he's not a CHL guy doesn't mean we have to put him in the AHL right away.

We could even send him back & if he's clearly past that league as far as his development then he could sign to play at some point mid-season, perhaps after the world juniors.

would you rather have somewhere between $70,000 usd and $3,750,000 usd or $0 usd?

having watched quinn's interviews in their entirety, and having the benefit of tone, inflection and context, rather than merely reading transcribed snippets, I really don't get the impression that he'd prefer college over the ahl.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

While I agree with mostly what you're saying, at the end of the day, I would like Quinn to be a defenseman as well considering that is his position. If he is expected to be the so-called #1 dman and log possibly 25+ mins, then he certainly will need that aspect and be quite effective at it. This is the main reason why Jordan Subban could not make it.

Hughes can actually play defence, Jordan is garbage defensively no where close to hughes skating wise either. Don’t compare the two it’s an insult 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Hughes has looked worse thus far.

Not sure what game you're watching. Couple controlled zone exits and led rushes looks fine to me. 

The forwards on blue have zero zone control.

3 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

The one where I’m not wearing my rose coloured glasses.

He made one nice play behind the net with a guy draped over his back in the first period, and moved the puck clean out of the zone. He hasn't been great by any means. But team white is also the stronger team offensively, so it's meant to be a challenge.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

After a great year for Hughes’ development at Michigan and he’s actually ready to come make an impact? Absolutely. 

After you ignore the team completely and dust off your jersey for the draft.