The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All the negatives I’ve heard about Bouchard’s game showed in the WJ’s when I watched him . I don’t see him ever being a top pairing d-man in the NHL. Big part of that is his skating.

I really hope Woo can become a solid top 4 d. He’s tracking well.

Edited by Elias_Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Woo looks so good this year! Doubt he's able to make the jump next year but I can see him sticking around in training camp and then taking a spot a couple years down the road. Huge hopes for this kid considering his current projections and how much we need a guy like him right now. Dream scenario is that he turns into a minimum top 4 but hopefully top 2 D.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Seider (pick aquired in a Sutter, Guddy or Edler trade)

Hutton-Stecher

An elite 3 pairs that can help us win our cup in 2021-22!

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

It seems like he contributes offensively every game, instead of putting up huge nights against bad teams and then going cold.  Good stuff

One thing I noticed is that he often wont go deep into the zone to provide his offence, but gets his shots through from the point which ends up as a goal or an assist. This keeps him in a position to defend while keeping the puck deep and still contributing to offense. Good two-way play from him.

Also a good complimentary to Hughes who often rushes up from the point and attacks the net.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Evan Bouchard is an excellent CHL player and will likely have a decent NHL career.   What I am not certain of is if he will have a really good NHL career due to his wheels.   To the point, yes Bouchard is miles from NHL ready but of course so is Woo miles away and even further than Bouchard.   Woo will be at least three more years in the oven.   IF the next braintrust in Edmonton has any sense, they will let Bouchard have at least a full AHL season or two to get a sense of the pro game speed.   Woo will be WHL for at least one more year and then likely two in AHL.     Woo is also not a first round touted pick.

Bouchard was a reasonable pick for Edmonton trying to replace the concept of Justin Schultz but they should have picked Smith or Dobson if they wanted more instant gratification.

I foresee another year in junior plus 2 years in the AHL for Woo. Should be fun watching him develop. 

Skating was definitely a red flag RE Bouchard. Dobson would've been a better choice in my opinion. Can't really comment on Smith as I haven't seen him play but from what I understand he would've been a good choice too. In any event, I'm sure Bouchard will be a very good defensemen for Edmonton provided they take the time to develop him properly. 

3 hours ago, therodigy said:

I foresee another year in junior plus 2 years in the AHL for Woo. Should be fun watching him develop. 

Skating was definitely a red flag RE Bouchard. Dobson would've been a better choice in my opinion. Can't really comment on Smith as I haven't seen him play but from what I understand he would've been a good choice too. In any event, I'm sure Bouchard will be a very good defensemen for Edmonton provided they take the time to develop him properly. 

So you are saying he will bust then!!  :bigblush:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Woo is another guy affected by the age rule for the AHL imo. Already has an NHL build, good defensive game, and is now ppg in the dub. Not a lot more for him to do in jr....Putting up similar ppg to Virtanen and Juolevi in their draft + 1

I’m not too worried about marinating the prospects. We brought in so many guys to Utica this year that some of our prospects are playing small minutes, getting scratched or even shipped out overseas. If Woo spends another year in the WHL playing 25+ minutes a night in every situation I can’t really see that hurting him in the long run. That may have actually helped Virtanen if we just left him down that year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Woo is another guy affected by the age rule for the AHL imo. Already has an NHL build, good defensive game, and is now ppg in the dub. Not a lot more for him to do in jr....Putting up similar ppg to Virtanen and Juolevi in their draft + 1

Won't hurt having him in the whl another year. He would actually be the #1 with Brook moving on as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2019 at 7:57 AM, therodigy said:

I think that with all the turnover coming on the Canucks' blue line, and with several of our D barely treading the 6/7 waters, Woo could surprise everyone and make the team out of camp next season.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, xereau said:

I think that with all the turnover coming on the Canucks' blue line, and with several of our D barely treading the 6/7 waters, Woo could surprise everyone and make the team out of camp next season.

He would definitely be ready for the AHL if he could go there. I hope to see at least one AHL D from this year graduate next year. Whether that be Brisebois, McEneny or Chatfield. I think Woo has a chance but Chatfield may take it from him.  Might be fun to see a D lineup next year similar to this

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Chatfield, Woo, Brisebois, Juolevi

9 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I really like his consistency, not much in the way of slumps, regularly on the scoresheet, rarely has a bad game.  That is exactly what pro coaches love - it speaks to a very steady, highly focused style - coaches delight.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

He would definitely be ready for the AHL if he could go there. I hope to see at least one AHL D from this year graduate next year. Whether that be Brisebois, McEneny or Chatfield. I think Woo has a chance but Chatfield may take it from him.  Might be fun to see a D lineup next year similar to this

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Chatfield, Woo, Brisebois, Juolevi

There is basically zero chance any of those guys will be sitting in the press box as 7-8 D. They need to keep developing. To do so, they need to play. They either make the starting 6 or they're back to their respective developmental leagues.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, xereau said:

I'm definitely coming from a very conservative POV. However, with our lack of depth on the right side, it's a good possibility that Woo can surprise and go beyond 9 games next year as well. My concern is whether or not he's being rushed a la Virtanen and McCann in 2015. One way to find out though, right?

• Upvote 1