The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

• 3 weeks later...

Moose Jaw top 3 guys might not be back as there 20 years old so team will be on rebuild..The  Calgary Hitman are in middle of rebuild so surprised they give up 2 young players and 2 high picks for Woo? I could see Jet Woo starting 2020 season with Utica and moving to Vancouver soon after... Calgary made this trade for Woo playing one season, just crazy?

Edited by wildcam

28 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Bit of a haul for Woo.

That awkward moment for Calgary when Woo makes the Canucks in the fall...:P

Quite a big haul for Woo, hope Calgary has a long run next season in the playoffs

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Jett Woo will be 19 this July and therefore, ineligible for the AHL. He, however, has 3 whole seasons in the WHL , improving with every season. Right now, he projects as a physical right-shot D, with good puck movement skills and excellent ceiling in his own end of things. As such, if Woo does not make the Canucks roster this fall, will it be better for him to play against under-age players in the WHL for one more season or will he develop better playing against men in Europe, being loaned out like Juolevi was, to Sweden or Finland teams ? What does Jett Woo do in one more season at the WHL that he hasn't done already ??

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Jett Woo will be 19 this July and therefore, ineligible for the AHL. He, however, has 3 whole seasons in the WHL , improving with every season. Right now, he projects as a physical right-shot D, with good puck movement skills and excellent ceiling in his own end of things. As such, if Woo does not make the Canucks roster this fall, will it be better for him to play against under-age players in the WHL for one more season or will he develop better playing against men in Europe, being loaned out like Juolevi was, to Sweden or Finland teams ? What does Jett Woo do in one more season at the WHL that he hasn't done already ??

That's a good question C.  Is there an agreement between the CHL and European teams about players under CHL contracts going to play over there?  I actually would love to see Woo, if he's not making the Canucks, do go over and play in Europe.  That would screw over another Calgary team BIG TIME.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a good question C.  Is there an agreement between the CHL and European teams about players under CHL contracts going to play over there?  I actually would love to see Woo, if he's not making the Canucks, do go over and play in Europe.  That would screw over another Calgary team BIG TIME.  

Well we loaned out Juolevi to Finland, so i am sure it can be done. Juolevi was also 19 at that time and he didn't go back to play for his 'original team' - he played for Jokerit before coming to the OHL and then was loaned out to TPS. 

I don't give a toss about screwing over a calgary team thats in the WHL, especially when they don't compete directly against  our farm team. What i care for, is development of our prospects. 

I just don't see what Woo will accomplish in the WHL next year that he hasn't done already. He is already the #1 defenseman of his team, in the top unit of PP and PK, has put up a PPG pace and plays a physical style while being 200 lbs. Whats left to develop/prove against a bunch of 17-19 year olds ? Sounds like WHL will be a stagnation for him. Though the Canucks signed him, causing us to max out to 50 contracts - this means the Canucks expect him to make the team in fall. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Well we loaned out Juolevi to Finland, so i am sure it can be done. Juolevi was also 19 at that time and he didn't go back to play for his 'original team' - he played for Jokerit before coming to the OHL and then was loaned out to TPS. 

I don't give a toss about screwing over a calgary team thats in the WHL, especially when they don't compete directly against  our farm team. What i care for, is development of our prospects. 

I just don't see what Woo will accomplish in the WHL next year that he hasn't done already. He is already the #1 defenseman of his team, in the top unit of PP and PK, has put up a PPG pace and plays a physical style while being 200 lbs. Whats left to develop/prove against a bunch of 17-19 year olds ? Sounds like WHL will be a stagnation for him. Though the Canucks signed him, causing us to max out to 50 contracts - this means the Canucks expect him to make the team in fall. 

He's a big boy, and has a lot of skill and smarts.  He might make our team next fall.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

He is the defensive Jake Virtanen, right down to the Hitmen connection :lol: 

Seriously, the situation is eerily similar....:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Josh Brook was Moose Jaws #1

So he can play top D minutes next year, make the WJC, go on a deep playoff run with the hitmen, he'll still be just 19 by the end of the season

Unless the Hitmen sabotage Woo like they did Virtanen.....smh.  That was the agenda pushed by many on here..

But is that going to be as productive for him as playing against fully grown men ? He is 200 lbs guy...its not like he doesn't have the size to handle big men on bigger European ice...

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Which part?  If we want to keep close eyes on our guys, knowing one of the coaches would help, and I'm sure Juolevi had an easier time adapting to pro life in Finland compared to how Woo would.

well we know Salo...and isnt thats why we sent Juolevi there ? Why not the same for Woo ?