The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

So basically if we get through the next 22 days we'll have kept our entire roster all season without having to trade away a piece or two like so many people thought. We'll be super deep if Leivo, and Ferland, are both added to an already full line-up.

Still think we should look to trim some fat at the TDL (Schaller, Baer... Stecher if we're bringing Tanev back) but yeah, we're fine.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Still think we should look to trim some fat at the TDL (Schaller, Baer... Stecher if we're bringing Tanev back) but yeah, we're fine.

Yeah, we have an awful lot of depth and it would be nice to get back some future assets for some of them. But it looks like we will be in the playoffs, and if we are, we'll probably need all the depth we can get. Cause you know we will need a lot of bodies to get through 15 or 20 playoff games. ::D

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

I agree....it seems like every other team gets something for there up coming free agents at the TDL...except us, I can't remember the last time we had a positive TDL.

We just let them go there own way in summer for nothing...hell even Montreal is expecting a 2nd or 3rd round pick for  Kovalchuk....!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We just let them go there own way in summer for nothing

It's never "for nothing".    A contract space is very valuable as is CAP space.   Sometimes you get a tremendous amount back when a player does not re-sign.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's never "for nothing".    A contract space is very valuable as is CAP space.   Sometimes you get a tremendous amount back when a player does not re-sign.

Still rather we try to get something tangible...if the plan is to just let them walk anyway, then you are already counting on that contract space...so you might as well try for a late round pick or better while you have the chance....we never do that it seems...

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Still rather we try to get something tangible...if the plan is to just let them walk anyway, then you are already counting on that contract space...so you might as well try for a late round pick or better while you have the chance....we never do that it seems...

Is a late round pick worth worsening our playoff chances though?  Trading any player ( Stecher, Tanev) before this TDL will definitely weaken our team.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is a late round pick worth worsening our playoff chances though?  Trading any player ( Stecher, Tanev) before this TDL will definitely weaken our team.  

Ya there is that ...but I am more thinking about guys like Schaller, Erickkson, Baer., Benn, Fantenberg , Goldie, etc.....but moving one of Tanev or Stecher  with say Erickkson would turn my crank.

We lose a D. we promote Benn to the starting lineup unless he is the D. we lose.... in which case we call up Rafferty and hope Juolevi and/or Tryamkin are here for the playoffs...but regardless we would not lose any more games because Benn is in for Stecher....and maybe we lose one or 2 if Benn is in for Tanev.

We are going to have to say goodbye to several someone's by next year with our over 13 million in dead money (louie,Louie, Baer. and Spooner).....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

You can only make a move if you have a willing partner.   Those moves you speak of are increasingly uncommon in today's game.   The other 30 plus teams all want to do exactly the same thing.   The fact that Canucks have rocketed past the majority of the league in terms of operational ranking (prospects pool, farm system) is a testament to how it is done in today's game.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I guess it might be worthwhile if we had a shortage of prospects. But since that is far from the case, I would have to say no, it is not worth worsening our playoff chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You can only make a move if you have a willing partner.   Those moves you speak of are increasingly uncommon in today's game.   The other 30 plus teams all want to do exactly the same thing.   The fact that Canucks have rocketed past the majority of the league in terms of operational ranking (prospects pool, farm system) is a testament to how it is done in today's game.

We are doing great at drafting, passable at developing and we have had a bit of high end luck (EP and QH) ....but other teams are selling there culls and better even as they compete for a playoff spot...year after year...and we let FA'a walk ...year after year....

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Ya there is that ...but I am more thinking about guys like Schaller, Erickkson, Baer., Benn, Fantenberg , Goldie, etc.....but moving one of Tanev or Stecher  with say Erickkson would turn my crank.

We lose a D. we promote Benn to the starting lineup unless he is the D. we lose.... in which case we call up Rafferty and hope Juolevi and/or Tryamkin are here for the playoffs...but regardless we would not lose any more games because Benn is in for Stecher....and maybe we lose one or 2 if Benn is in for Tanev.

We are going to have to say goodbye to several someone's by next year with our over 13 million in dead money (louie,Louie, Baer. and Spooner).....

Why do posters on here always think JB is sitting around doing nothing. He has said in the past he has tried to trade some players and there simply were no takers.

Who do you think wants to trade anything for schaller, Loui, Baer, Goldy, etc??  Seriously, why would anyone give anything up for those players??  Bizarre.

Benn maybe.  But we are trying to make the playoffs and make a run. You don't trade depth away when you are doing that. Moving Tanev would be stupid. Our best defensive D man who has played lights out with Hughes.  Good god...

• Cheers 4

If GMJB trades any of the current top 7 d men before the playoffs it better be for an upgrade on D

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Myers 

Fantenberg Stecher 

Benn

Rafferty Joulevi

Tryamkin perhaps 

With the d depth as is and even with Tryamkin returning moving a dman before the playoffs is a little stupid, one injury in the top 4 D and there goes our playoff chances. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If GMJB trades any of the current top 7 d men before the playoffs it better be for an upgrade on D

Hughes Tanev 

Edler Myers 

Fantenberg Stecher 

Benn

Rafferty Joulevi

Tryamkin perhaps 

With the d depth as is and even with Tryamkin returning moving a dman before the playoffs is a little stupid, one injury in the top 4 D and there goes our playoff chances. 

If what you say is true then we wont make it far at all in the playoffs

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

you can't sell what people don't want to buy. would you spend a pick on any of those players? nobody has been willing to take baertschi, the best of those players, for free when he's gone through waivers twice. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We are doing great at drafting, passable at developing and we have had a bit of high end luck (EP and QH) ....but other teams are selling there culls and better even as they compete for a playoff spot...year after year...and we let FA'a walk ...year after year....

Please provide some examples as I see very little evidence of that.    Some teams make deals for sure - some more than Vancouver and some far less.   Given there are 30 more teams trying to do the exact same thing as Vancouver, it makes it hard to make deals in the NHL.    Anyway, show me the teams that are "selling their culls" and better even.....and name all these key FAs that have walked away from Vancouver and gone on to contribute greatly to another NHL team.    Remember, if they walk and don't do anything more in the NHL....who on earth would have traded for them.

So, perhaps to make it easy on you, just a list of all the FAs the Canucks have let "walk away' that went on to contribute to another NHL team...e.g. were worth another team considering trading for them.   

18 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

To go deep in the playoffs, you need depth guys like this. All good teams load up on this type of players.

Eriksson is not going anywhere at this point, until summer.

Baerstchi is the only guy on your list that I would consider moving at the deadline, and that’s just because I think that he deserves a chance to get back to the NHL and I can’t see his situation improving next season if he’s still here.

• Upvote 1