The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

34 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Didn't know Gillis vowed not to draft Russian's.

That ended up backfiring up on him. Could've drafted Kuznetsov & Kucherov in subsequent years. 

Yep. Trading that 1st round pick for Keith Ballard then taking Niklas Jensen in 2011 really hurt. Of course there were no assurances both of them would come over, but I guess that’s what hindsight does. 

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Deleted due to mass hysteria. 

I'll crawl back under the bridge. Let's never draft another Russian due to paralyzing fear that they may defect. 

When it’s a player who states they aren’t open to coming to North America or unless it’s for the nhl only or they get a spot given to them it’s a concern. It’s not a fear it’s a very real risk to factor into draft considerations when making final rankings.

its not just Russian players in general.

Many of my favorite nhlers over the years have been Russian.

And there are Russian kids who come over to North America to learn English and the North American game in Jr that never come with KHL concerns. And if they do it’s later in their careers if they aren’t good enough for the league.

Examples: Svechnikov Brothers, zero KHL risk factored into either of their draft positions

when you draft Swedish or Finnish kids out of their respected euro leagues you never talk about them not wanting to earn playing time and play in the AHL. They usually go there early because they can.

many examples of this.  

I wouldnt say crawl under a bridge, you made a mistake today in using Kopitar to support your Russian statement accompanied with a crude comment. Maybe just take it easy on the Russian discussion and get back to just discussing prospects.

mens worlds coming up - can’t wait to see the Hughes bros together and see how Kakko performs.

this tournament is a chance for Kakko to jump to top spot in the draft.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Didn't know Gillis vowed not to draft Russian's.

That ended up backfiring up on him. Could've drafted Kuznetsov & Kucherov in subsequent years. 

Not exactly fair smash.

we had no chance at Kuznetsov at all. In 2010 we didn’t have a draft pick in like the first 2:3 rounds I’m pretty sure. I remember cause Tarasenko was the Russian that dropped the most that day everyone thought he was going top 5.

and kucherov was hard to scout.

Sure we missed by taking Jensen but we only had 1 pick before he went other teams had multiple. I’m pretty sure St Louis passed on him at least twice cause they took Rattie that year. And that’s a team not scared to take Russians evident by taking senk show before.

no one talked about us not taking him either. It was more Boone Jenner and Saad people were upset about us missing on.

i get what your saying but it’s kinda like Pastrnak like everyone missed. Some missed multiple times before

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

extract from an report about Moritz Seider:

Being a captain at 17 at what is considered a 19-year-old tournament is notable, and even though it was at a lower division, gave scouts what they needed to see. What you want to see in prospects who play with men is that they show improvement and confidence when they go back to playing with their age group, and Seider definitely checked off those boxes.

The thing that sticks out when you watch Seider play is his combination of size and poise. Many coaches and scouts that watch him play say he plays like a veteran. It helps that he already looks like a veteran. Many times scouts have to project growth spurts and hope players will be able to add weight as they develop. At 6’4” and almost 200lbs, there’s already a lot less imagining to do with Seider.

Seider is an all around player, who projects to play in all situations, including the penalty kill and the power play. His all around toolbox projects to be one of the best in the class among defencemen, but he lacks that one elite skill that sticks out above the rest.

He can skate well, he shows good instincts on both ends of the ice, and he has the ability to finish plays.

to those of you having access to the athletic:

https://theathletic.com/899840/2019/05/01/prospect-moritz-seider-could-be-one-of-the-best-german-defencemen-ever/

I like a lot of what I am reading of Seider, this included. Sure would be nice to have two 1st rounders. Not sure Benning goes off the board to grab Seider nor do I think he'd trade down for him. Only way I'd advocate a trade down is if we got two 1st rounders. Not a late 1st and a late 2nd.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like a lot of what I am reading of Seider, this included. Sure would be nice to have two 1st rounders. Not sure Benning goes off the board to grab Seider nor do I think he'd trade down for him. Only way I'd advocate a trade down is if we got two 1st rounders. Not a late 1st and a late 2nd.

He’s strictly a defensive dman, stay at home type. There should be better players for us at 10.  Teams drafting in the mid to late teens should be talking about him, not us.

36 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He’s strictly a defensive dman, stay at home type. There should be better players for us at 10.  Teams drafting in the mid to late teens should be talking about him, not us.

I don't agree with this. He had shown really good offense playing with his peers and he has decided to stick back and play the team game with the pros. While he is not nearly as dynamic as his peers and can't generate offense the way they do I believe he has enough offensive talent to get you 30 pts a season which is fine for a top line or second line pairing as long as you have enough elite talent to pair him up with. As long as he's not slow (he isn't) and can get the puck out of his own zone quickly (he can) he can be an effective top line pairing guy if his potential pans out. Also with a 6'4 frame I'm sure he will be able to bring the puck once his man strength comes in. 

Would I take him at 10? Probably not ..but could be one of the biggest risers in a redraft down the road.

Edited by TGokou
Added paragraph
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I don't agree with this. He had shown really good offense playing with his peers and he has decided to stick back and play the team game with the pros. While he is not nearly as dynamic as his peers and can't generate offense the way they do I believe he has enough offensive talent to get you 30 pts a season which is fine for a top line or second line pairing as long as you have enough elite talent to pair him up with. As long as he's not slow (he isn't) and can get the puck out of his own zone quickly (he can) he can be an effective top line pairing guy if his potential pans out. Also with a 6'4 frame I'm sure he will be able to bring the puck once his man strength comes in. 

Would I take him at 10? Probably not ..but could be one of the biggest risers in a redraft down the road.

So he can only generate offence when deployed with offensive players ? This statement is true for any offensive deficient players out there.

14 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

So he can only generate offence when deployed with offensive players ? This statement is true for any offensive deficient players out there.

Pretty sure Seider was an offensive player at the junior level. Not surprised he hasnt been as much in the pros.

He wont be Quinn Hughes but he could have more offense than hes shown this year. 

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Likely able to find a defense-first player in the second round, we did the last draft with Woo

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Kopitar is not Russian.

Heres the reason behind the Canucks history with the Russian factor.

Artem Chubarov, drafted by the Canucks back in 1998, often got high praises from Crawford and a very effective bottom centreman for us.  very reliable, dependable bottom 6 for us.  He left for Russia due to the 2005 lock out and never returned.

in 2001 we drafted 2 Russians. one was fedor Federov the other I don't think he showed up to training camp. 

in 2002 we drafted a highly offensive dman in Kiril Koltsov with a 2nd rounder. .  At the time considered the most skilled player we have in the entire Canucks organization outside of Markus Naslund, 29 games into the 2005 season he left for Russia because apparently of his sick mother as the apparent reason. Heading into the 2006 season, it was rumored he was planning to come back then it was said that he will spend another year in Russia with his "mother" apparently and never returned.   Insiders believe he actually rather play in the Russia league making 1.8 million right away then to make 5 digits for the first 2 years in the AHL.  I was very certain he would he an offensive dman for us, floor is a number 3 dman high end is a number 1 offensive dman.  Dude was so skilled 

In the same draft year we drafted a dman by the name of Denis Grot with one of our higher picks, and he never showed up once to a training camp. 3rd rounder. 

in 2006 we drafted Sergei Shirokov although I believe it's more of him not making it to the NHL. 

in 2007 we drafted Ilya Kablukov who didn't even show up to our training camp.

At this point we can see there is some problems drafting players out of Russia.  They can play in their home country and make big money right out away without the step of playing in the AHL making 5 digits.  A huge turn off for Mike Gillis as he likes to see players wanting to work hard to get to the NHL even if it means playing in the NHL.  So at this point, we have very little success of Drafting players out of Russia, wether its due to skill level, or them not even bother to show up to our training camps to even have a look.  I know for 

2008 (mike Gillis takes over and vows not to draft Russians due to them not being drafted to the NHL for the sake of it, but really have no intentions of playing in this league with exception of a few Russians unless a high pick and the right situation)

in 2014 Benning took a risk with a 3rd round pick and drafters overages from Russia Nikita Tryamkin, who is naturally a 2012 draftee.  he too Left for Russia, and has yet to return.  

so as you can see, as a Canuck fan, I am &^@#ing worried as hell to draft a Russian player, let alone a Russian player with a top 10 pick!  please forgive me if I am not giving enough credit, Vasily Podkolzin.  He is literally a projected top 3 pick.  If he falls out of the 5, then he's going to fall for that reason.  Teams will be passing up on him for the same reason we will be.  

apparently Kopitar was passed up on due to the fact he played for a country that never had a NHLer.  :picard:

Excellent post!!

Exactly the reason I hope we do not use a high pick for any russian unless they are already playing in North America and have integrated into our societies.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He's shown signs of offensive capabilities, they're just hard to read because of where he plays. 

Even if there aren't a lot of offensive tools, pairing him with Hughes could be pretty solid. 

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Excellent post!!

Exactly the reason I hope we do not use a high pick for any russian unless they are already playing in North America and have integrated into our societies.

my favourite russian to play for canucks, is igor larinov. a total team player. 

• Upvote 1